Black Dragon Viewer

NiranV Dean

Animating Your Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Jan 2011
SLU Posts
I’ve actually started using Firestorm Viewer and I get significantly better performance with it. No gray avatars for long so far.
Second Life being Second Life. Welcome to a world where you get the same or better performance with shittier hardware and your GPU has to do the work equivalent of 5 games running at the same time because someone put that particular chair there. Where RNG is truly RNG and nothing makes sense.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
So glad that we're long past the days when, as happened to me, you could be at a lightly populated nightclub and one avatar's hairdo (composed of many tortured toroids) could crash one's viewer by simply letting it be in view. It wasn't immediate; first the Linden viewer would slow... then slower... then slowest... and finally crash to desktop.

NiranV Dean

Animating Your Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Jan 2011
SLU Posts
So glad that we're long past the days when, as happened to me, you could be at a lightly populated nightclub and one avatar's hairdo (composed of many tortured toroids) could crash one's viewer by simply letting it be in view. It wasn't immediate; first the Linden viewer would slow... then slower... then slowest... and finally crash to desktop.
Yea, nowadays problems are just a lot weirder and more complex but they usually dont result in a crash (or if they do its due to a very very long chainreaction of basically everything exploding left and right until the viewer simply cannot survive the bombardment of fuckups anymore). Although i have seen a project build from LL crash due to a missing landing animation, causing the Viewer to crash every time someone jumps and lands.

• 1Like
Reactions: Govi

NiranV Dean

Animating Your Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Jan 2011
SLU Posts
I still remember the glorious days when my head was in my butt, and my hair attached to it as well.
I remember the gesture for that too.... and the constant "Gestures could not be loaded" whenever you logged in... even though they all loaded...

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I have pretty darn good hardware though. An Intel CPU, SSD hard drives, at least 32gb of RAM.
That tells us fuck-all about your rig. My 10 year old Thinkpad has "an Intel CPU" and "SSD Hard Drives." And "At least"?
You should learn to geek-brag better, the info you gave us is equivalent to answering "what Engine does your Mustang have?" with "A Ford!"

And SL is single-threaded, and based on an old version of OpenGL, so only things that matter:

CPU >= 2.5Ghz
Ram >= 8G
VRam >= 2G

ANY computer that meets these is likely to perform similarly, whether it's a 10 year old ThinkPad or "Elite Gamzor Rig I Built Last Tuesday." You can get 586 FPS in Skyrim and still get 12 FPS in SL.

I was able to run around SL with a NVS4200M (aka GT520) because it had 1G. I hooked up an external 1050ti that has 4G and now I can up draw distance. It bogs down to single-digit FPS in the same places as the 4200M and doesn't change the "everything is grey for 10 minutes after logging in" problem

As far as I can tell* SL doesn't use up all 4G of VRAM, but it does like more than 2.

Test your rig here, it's brutal, and if you get >15FPS at DD = 92 I'd be impressed: the junkyard

*Numbers via MSI Afterburner.

Last edited:

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I remember the gesture for that too.... and the constant "Gestures could not be loaded" whenever you logged in... even though they all loaded...
It ate a bunch of my gestures when that happened >_<

The same way anything no-copy would go "missing from database."

Stora

SL Rez
Test your rig here, it's brutal, and if you get >15FPS at DD = 92 I'd be impressed: the junkyard

*Numbers via MSI Afterburner.
Challenge accepted because the geek/nerd in me made me do it. ;-)
My aging 7 year old PC just about passed running Firestorm on the default ultra settings with 21FPS

I know no one really cares but like I said, I just can't help it.

• 1Yay!

Clara D.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Challenge accepted because the geek/nerd in me made me do it. ;-)
My aging 7 year old PC just about passed running Firestorm on the default ultra settings with 21FPS

I know no one really cares but like I said, I just can't help it.
Age isn't a good judge of performance anyways. A 780 would way out-perform my wee 1050ti.

(I got the 1050ti as best low-wattage card so I didn't have to mess with a full-blown PSU for my external adapter).

I always look at benchmarks that include several generations when shopping.

example: OpenCL Benchmarks - Geekbench Browser

• 2Like
Reactions: Govi and Stora

NiranV Dean

Animating Your Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Jan 2011
SLU Posts
Been there, done that.

~21 FPS average @ 96DD, shadows, ssao, ssr and all that jazz on.
The difference between 64 and 96DD was basically dropping from 40 to 21 FPS.

Not exactly top of the line hardware either.
But this place easily eats those 4GB

• 1Yay!

Govi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Been there, done that.

~21 FPS average @ 96DD, shadows, ssao, ssr and all that jazz on.
The difference between 64 and 96DD was basically dropping from 40 to 21 FPS.

Not exactly top of the line hardware either.
But this place easily eats those 4GB

Please, where in the long graphics menu slider is this "Scene Memory (MB):" report. Or in what other location, if it's not there? I love it and want to use it!

• 1Agree

NiranV Dean

Animating Your Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Jan 2011
SLU Posts
Please, where in the long graphics menu slider is this "Scene Memory (MB):" report. Or in what other location, if it's not there? I love it and want to use it!

It is right at the top in your display settings, one of the first things you see.

There's also the texture console which will show you more accurately what the Viewer uses for what exactly:
(Ctrl + Shift + 3)

• 1Hug
Reactions: Govi

Govi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

It is right at the top in your display settings, one of the first things you see.

There's also the texture console which will show you more accurately what the Viewer uses for what exactly:
(Ctrl + Shift + 3)
Thank you!