Black Dragon Viewer

Lucierda Solari

Sending you love and light
Oct 7, 2018
SL Rez
What is AVX?

Also, the "add key" and "delete key" buttons in the Day Cycle Editor do not work.

Last edited:

NiranV Dean

Dividing By Zero
Sep 24, 2018
Germany
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Jan 2011
SLU Posts
What is AVX?

Also, the "add key" and "delete key" buttons in the Day Cycle Editor do not work.
AVX stands for Advanced Vector Extensions and is a compile modification that can be added to improve and optimize vector calculations, this can increase framerate slighly but requires CPU support (all CPU's from 2011 and above should in theory support it, Intel does support AVX2 even for a long time now and AMD supports it from AMD FX 6000 series and upwards)

You always want the AVX version, it is faster and is always the most recent version. If your CPU is not supported (you'll notice when the Viewer doesn't start without any error message) you can always take the non AVX version though it is updated much rarer and may lack behind months of work and features, important ones like until recently Animesh.

About the buttons: i'll have a look into them, thanks for reporting.

Artemis

Fruit Stand Kingpin
Sep 19, 2018
SL Rez
There is no option in BD to disable certain group chats. Just hide their popup chats for either all or none.

I'd really like LL to get onto that one. Any clientside implementations are hacky at best and don't really solve the issue at hand. Besides if it was done server side they'd also save some bandwidth. Less people who participate in chat means less bandwidth wasted with delivering messages which frees up potentially more space for people who actively want to take part in chatting.
Yeah, for a platform built around chat it's chat tools are weirdly goofy, especially group chat. Shooting down group chats for the first 30 minutes of being logged in is never fun.

Also nice pictures but the last one seems to be missing Ambient Occlusion, it cuts into the realism of the picture, especially the shadowed parts behind you look unnatural with the ever-flat shadowing, the objects in shadows show no depth. I have to note though i'm absolutely not a fan of the image noise filter that you seem to use. If there's one option in any game i always disable it's definitely Post Process Noise/Grain. Might just be Volumetric Lighting though if you used it with lower resolutions.

Nonetheless they are great shots especially for your first ones. Here's a teaser for the upcoming update.
I have a thing for that Instagram-esque filters, even if it's super cliche and newbieish, I just like the texturing of it. Though I don't use it consistently, the 2nd one I avoided it because I liked the cleaner look. I only really did it for the first one, the third one had it heavily because I was looking for a gritty/sandy texture. Thanks for the tips though, I'm looking forward to messing with it again.

Lucierda Solari

Sending you love and light
Oct 7, 2018
SL Rez
I don't know what this was. It happened every time I relogged. Had to reinstall the viewer to fix it.

Faulting application name: Black Dragon.exe, version: 6.0.1.42713, time stamp: 0x5bedf956
Faulting module name: Black Dragon.exe, version: 6.0.1.42713, time stamp: 0x5bedf956
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000013e3b27
Faulting process id: 0x228
Faulting application start time: 0x01d47fb79857bf5d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Black Dragon\Black Dragon.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Black Dragon\Black Dragon.exe
Report Id: f21064d8-ebaa-11e8-b530-e03f49b20ffb

NiranV Dean

Dividing By Zero
Sep 24, 2018
Germany
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Jan 2011
SLU Posts
Weird. A reinstall fixing the Viewer? Okay Sherlock Holmes here.

Dundundun we can deduct from this that it is not a settings related thing. This brings me immediately to the completely logical and only solution that... your Windows, or Firewall or AntiVirus or whatever is deleting/blocking one or more files after closing the Viewer. Don't ask me how i found out, thats the only logical explanation.

/Sherlock Holmes mode

No seriously this could be many things, something is blocking an essential file, or a file didn't unpack properly (corrupted files), who knows.

I do get an instant crash, even pre-splash screen that the Viewer has stopped working, it is super are, basically only happens once every version i put out and only ever seems to happen after i haven't started the Viewer for a long while after like compiling a new build or something. No idea if this is related.

NiranV Dean

Dividing By Zero
Sep 24, 2018
Germany
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Jan 2011
SLU Posts
This was absolutely my favorite UI. I miss it tons.
Agreed. It had style, it was unique but sadly it was highly flawed and LL's UI is simply too limited for what i was trying to make it look good.