Big Updates Coming For Oculus Quest

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts

New features coming include the ability to link to a VR capble PC with a USB-C cable to play Rift titles, headset camera pass-through like the Rift-S so you can see your surroundings without taking off the headset, Oculus Go software support, and ultimately full hand tracking without the need for a controller.

• 1Yay!
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
This:
headset camera pass-through like the Rift-S so you can see your surroundings without taking off the headset
:applause:

And this:
Oculus Go software support
:airclap:

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
So much goodness up ahead! I'll have to set aside some post-retirement funds for a new Quest, cause I do not want to miss future generations.

I'm not so sure about the hand tracking feature, though. What I love about the controllers is that the vibration creates a tactile sense of touch. This is really a huge part of RealVR Fishing, for instance. Between the visual effect of a your rod bending and the vibration of a fish "biting", you could swear that there is a weight at the end of the line. You're just not going to get that perception without a physical controller of some kind. Very light gloves, maybe? With very teeny tiny batteries....

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Hand tracking will enable new experiences that you don't get with a controller. It won't replace the touch controllers. It is a gateway to augmented reality to create interfaces in your view you can just touch and navigate with your hands in the air.

• 1Thanks

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
The first batch of updates is out for the Quest, adding Passthrough+, Oculus Go/Samsung GearVR compatibility, the ability to turn off tracking so the Quest can be used to watch media in a dark room, and more:

• 1In Love

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
...the ability to turn off tracking so the Quest can be used to watch media in a dark room...
Hey Cristiano -- what exactly does this do, other than disable the Guardian? How does tracking interfere with watching media is a dark room? Come to think of it, I've never even tried to do that, which may be why I'm clueless....