Big Pharma games the system to make generic drugs more expensive

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I'm on three lifesaving medications that come to about 1,200 a month, two of which are types of insulin and should have been generic a long time ago. It's insane. The third one is a blood thinner that's 500 a month, still cheaper than the testing that goes with generic warfarin. This is nuts. I can't believe roping people to these prices and whatever insurance they have isn't a massive drain on the economy. And when people can't get prescriptions and wind up sicker, that's another big drain on the economy. Big Pharma is robbing us blind.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Big Pharma games the system to make generic drugs more expensive

I was thrilled when my medication went generic. For a short time this meant I could easily afford it even if I lost coverage. This isn't true anymore... My insurance is also going to stop covering this, and I have to switch. I'm kind of bitter!
If it is a med where a generic is okay however check with your prescribing doctor before going from a brand to generic. Estrogen is estrogen, but i know first hand what happens when my body takes generic epilepsy meds when it expected the brand version. Frustratingly, while your insurance company can not change anything else about your prescription they will often send a generic if it exists and your doctor forgot to say not to on every prescription they write for you.