Joined SLU
SLU Posts
SL Rez
SLU Posts

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

This, I think, is very apposite -- yes, the US's traditional allies are, of course, very relieved that Biden and Harris won, and that the rule of law and a democratic republic still exist in the US, at least for the time being, but I think most of us foreigners want to see how long that lasts, what actually happens with the Paris Accords and the Iran nuclear deal, and how things look in four or eight years' time, before the US is again regarded as a possible reliable long-term partner we can trust.

I look at the Republican politicians who are making the news at the moment, and think, "Is it sensible to rely overmuch on a country that could easily put them in charge again in a couple of years' time?"

In Europe, Biden faces the core problem of convincing the United States’ chief diplomatic, economic, and military allies to believe in America again. Some wonder if the U.S.—which was, for decades, the world’s most powerful democracy—has lost its groove for good. “It will be hard to convince allies that Washington is capable of coming back as a global leader,” Mark Leonard, the co-founder and director of the European Council on Foreign Relations, told me. “Our polling shows that, while most people in Europe were happy to see Biden elected, they also feel that America’s political system is broken, that they can’t rely on the U.S.A. to defend them, and that China will overtake the U.S.A. as a great power.” Europeans like what Biden stands for, “but they are not convinced that he can deliver, and they are worried about who will follow in his wake.”

America’s global reputation has plummeted to the point that it will even be difficult to persuade key Western allies to make common cause against China. “A majority of the public would prefer to stay neutral than to take America’s side,” Leonard said of European views. To regain the confidence of allies, the Biden Administration would have to think differently about alliances—and not assume “that other nations will automatically follow American leadership,” he added. Most of all, Biden has to prove that America has “the staying power to follow through.”
Evernote link because paywall

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

This, I think, is very apposite -- yes, the US's traditional allies are, of course, very relieved that Biden and Harris won, and that the rule of law and a democratic republic still exist in the US, at least for the time being, but I think most of us foreigners want to see how long that lasts, what actually happens with the Paris Accords and the Iran nuclear deal, and how things look in four or eight years' time, before the US is again regarded as a possible reliable long-term partner we can trust.

I look at the Republican politicians who are making the news at the moment, and think, "Is it sensible to rely overmuch on a country that could easily put them in charge again in a couple of years' time?"

Evernote link because paywall
Personally, as an american, I feel us ever being a global leader is sort of like putting the 5 year old in charge of deciding what we're doing as a family. Sure, we do have the biggest army, but the fact we'd rather just by more war toys, instead of feeding out citizens, or educating them, or providing health care, is a bit like a 5 year old who only eats cake, and buys toys, instead of eating their veggies and getting clothes to wear.