/me runs hard.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: OrinB

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
So yeah, in case anyone hasn't heard yet, the BoM Firestorm came out a couple days ago. I've been using it and I honestly can't tell if I've run into anyone using BoM yet - which I suppose is kind of the point, being a QOL feature for people building their avatars and not necessarily for the ones viewing.

NiranV Dean

Animating Your Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Jan 2011
SLU Posts
just to annoy you as I wouldn't be seeing your well crafted avatar through Firestorm!
A well crafted avatar works on all Viewers. Mine doesn't use BOM so it would have looked fine on Firestorm regardless.

Besides, if you derendered me i wouldn't even know and if you blocked me i wouldn't know either, jellydolling me wouldn't help since i wouldn't know that you jellydolled me... so this whole thing is kinda pointless?

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
BoM is just a nice quality of life feature for the older residents amongst us,which have not trashed their old system stuff yet and want to reactivate some of it again.

The rest simply put won't use it nor care. It's not really that important IMHO.

NiranV Dean

Animating Your Life
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Jan 2011
SLU Posts
BoM is just a nice quality of life feature for the older residents amongst us,which have not trashed their old system stuff yet and want to reactivate some of it again.

The rest simply put won't use it nor care. It's not really that important IMHO.
It's more than that.

It's one tool more to aid us in optimizing content and reducing both mesh complexity and memory usage. Badly used, it saves 1-2 layers of your body that would otherwise double or triple your polycount and texture memory usage. Properly used it can save all layers and can be used to quickly and on-the-fly alter a texture. The possibilities are quite huge, people just don't realize what BOM entails and what it opens up. An extreme example: I could use it to split a body texture into several layers, taking a dragon as example, i could use a base color, multiple gradients, tattoos, markings, details, extra body details (such as bits and nips) and even a multitude of different scales variations (amount, density, color, size, area covered) and they all can be mixed and matched and combined infinitely, not to mention that with them being handled as clothing we could easily do extra things like recoloring them.

BOM is much more than just oldschool baking on mesh.

Milly

I went a little crazy with BoM and trying on layers and ended up with about 20 make up and 20 tattoo layers ( maybe more) Gyazo

It's not a look I would ever wear out anywhere but it doesn't have flickering or issues like that.

This is a more reasonable approach to BoM - the make up, eyebrows, skin and tattoo is BoM and the skin is from 2015.