Australia

Luisa Land

"Perhaps more than any other wealthy nation on Earth, Australia is at risk from the dangers of climate change. It has spent most of the 21st century in a historic drought. Its tropical oceans are more endangered than any other biome by climate change. Its people are clustered along the temperate and tropical coasts, where rising seas threaten major cities. Those same bands of livable land are the places either now burning or at heightened risk of bushfire in the future. Faced with such geographical challenges, Australia’s people might rally to reverse these dangers. Instead, they have elected leaders (a few months ago)with other priorities. "

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
France is offering help - the question is if the Australian government is going to take it?

This reminds me of the time Russia offered water bomber assistance to Canada during the Fort Mac fire, and the Government of Canada declined. Some lolbertarian dumbass hopped into a Trudeau thread to go LOL LOL LOL TURDEAU.

So how this actually works. The personnel on the field, the experts, determine what they need and request it from their government, in this case the government of their state in Australia. There are already working relationships between the firefighting authorities interstate and international. Canadians got to Australia during the Aus fire season, Australians come to Canada during ours. Canada has a more recent reciprocity with South Africa. As far as the western half of North America is concerned, it's all one big reciprocal region from Alaska to California. If one hear the major events are in Oregon, Oregon will be filled up with firefighters from BC, Alberta, Alaska, California, Idaho, Washington, etc. These firefighters know mountain firefighting, as well as the types of biome involved.

Foreigners need cross training or they will get in the way. If France has assets up for offer that Australia needs, Australia will likely say yes. If France offers things that will get in the way, Australia will decline.

Those Russian water bombers would have gotten in the way due to airspace constraints and the fact that the magnitude of the Fort Mac fire created its own very wild weather system. Australia's fires this year make Fort Mac look like a shrimp on the barby.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I saw a pic on IG that said that the fire in Australia is visible from space? I just can't even... I'm beyond horrified.
The smoke plume is affecting air quality in parts of South America by what I hear.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
The smoke plume is affecting air quality in parts of South America by what I hear.
ya

Mind you, six months ago I was getting lungfuls of Siberian grey, so round the world smoke isn't uncommon. Unpleasant and worrying, but not uncommon.

Last edited:

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
So seeing Morrison there I think I understand the word 'cunt' better.

The cunty cunt cunted across Aus cunting for photo ops. Is that about it?

• 1Agree
  • 1Like
Reactions: Caete and Brenda Archer

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Mind you, six months ago I was getting lungfuls of Siberian grey, so round the world smoke isn't uncommon. Unpleasant and worrying, but not uncommon.
Last year the big deal in Houston was Saharan dust.

So seeing Morrison there I think I understand the word 'cunt' better.
Him and Abbot have been impressively awful. Most Australian politicians don't get past "ratbag".

• 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Caete and Brenda Archer

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Lies have spread faster than grassfire during Australia’s unprecedented national emergency.

They’ve ranged from the exaggerated to the outrageous.

One conspiracy bizarrely claims bushfires have been lit to clear a path for high-speed rail down Australia’s east coast. Others baselessly claim Islamic State is instructing its followers to wage war on the country with fire, that Chinese billionaires are using lasers to clear the path for new cities, or that eco-terrorists are trying to spur action on climate change by manufacturing a catastrophe.

Accompanying these laughable mistruths, though, are more dangerous distortions.
The Guardian: Disinformation d lies arean spreading faster than Australia's bushfires

Isabeau

Merdeuse
You would think with all the information available to us now, all the scientific knowledge available at our fingertips, we would be more, uh, informed.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
You would think with all the information available to us now, all the scientific knowledge available at our fingertips, we would be more, uh, informed.
It seems the more information is out there, the more certain people try to resist and deny it.