Australia

Isabeau

Merdeuse
It's difficult to watch and hear about what is happening in beautiful Australia. I know there are a few posters here living there and I hope they are safe. The fires (and the blunders of their PM) have been mentioned elsewhere but I thought I'd make a separate thread.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
And it is broiling hot in Australia too right now, which isn't helping things at all.

Last month the Prime Minister took a vacation in Hawaii, after denying paid compensation for volunteer firefighters who've had to take weeks off of their jobs to work the lines.

Peony

The lurker in her natural habitat.
SL Rez

It is truely heartbreaking to realise the full extent of these unprecedented fires. This article i attached is just talking about NSW. Remember that every state in Australia has been affected by extreme fire events, so the impact is beyond massive. And the stories emerging are harrowing.

My disabled uncle and his wife live in an isolated house on top of a mountain in South Australia. He stayed with his house to defend. His account as they turned on the sprinkler system and sheltered in a self-made bunker as flames roared all around is scary. They thankfully survived (no doubt due to the extent of their preparedness) and spent the whole night putting out spot fires and ember attacks around their house, hoping that the water in their tanks would last. The cfs finally got through at 4am to help support them. The photos he sent through in the aftermath are heartbreaking, especially the koala that came to them for a drink. What happened to the mob of kangaroos that they would feed I haven’t heard...they may have been able to flee. The echidnas and koalas, nesting birds and other small animals? Little chance.

Weather conditions there today are again catastrophic, and all I can do for now is keep in contact with all my family living in the hills there and hope for the best. I myself was lucky - we had a fire break out in the bush behind our place a few months ago before conditions got so bad, so crews could get on it quickly and the fuel load is now reduced. So many are not so lucky, and far too many have no home to go to.

Peony

The lurker in her natural habitat.
SL Rez
And it is broiling hot in Australia too right now, which isn't helping things at all.

Last month the Prime Minister took a vacation in Hawaii, after denying paid compensation for volunteer firefighters who've had to take weeks off of their jobs to work the lines.
He finally gave in and has now opened compensation for volunteer firefighters, though initially only for those in NSW. Other states have to apply to take part.

This is one of the things that is annoying about Scott Morrison, and why he’s deserved the backlash. He’s not been proactive in addressing issues. He’s waiting for state leaders to ask him to take action, he’s reacting passively and slowly. And then there’s the fact that fire chiefs were trying to get time to talk to the PM even before this summer started to address concerns about this fire season and what resources they would need.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I've been to Australia a few times. It is a truly wonderful place. It brings me to tears to hear of the horrible devastation happening.

The next person who comes to me and denies climate change is happening is getting punched in the throat!

Khamon

Folk Harper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I’ve been told there’s a gofundme, or such, to help compensate the volunteer FFs but I haven’t yet found a link to an obviously legitimate program. Many possible fakes are discovered. Will continue to investigate.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I’ve been told there’s a gofundme, or such, to help compensate the volunteer FFs but I haven’t yet found a link to an obviously legitimate program. Many possible fakes are discovered. Will continue to investigate.
This tweet includes a gov link and is the last of a mini tweet-thread (which is a heartbreaking accounting from a volunteer firefighter)

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
And Labour is all in on Coal. Imagine when even the main opposition is for burning the continent to cinder. For money.

• 2Sad
Reactions: Govi and Brenda Archer

Luisa Land

Since long in Australia the deniers of climate change are at the power..
this often hinders the slightest progress in international agreements on climate improvement..

these articles were written long before the terrible bushfires started this (australian) summer..

danielravennest

SLU Posts