Attention Licorice Lovers!

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I love black liquorice! Eat some regularly but, you know, a few pieces at a time. I knew that one shouldn’t eat too much but wow.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Sid

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Here in NL we eat 2 KG drop (black liquorice) per capita on average each year and we still get to live a tiny little bit longer on average than the people in the US.
Trick is, as with all kinds of foods and beverages: Don't consume it in an extreme way.
If you eat a lot of drop (black liquorice) in a short period, your brain will signal you to stop. You literary feel it in your head. Stupid if you ignore it.

Bottom-line: Too much alcohol is a bad idea, too much chocolate is a bad idea, too much fat as well etc. etc.
6-8 Liters of water a day can be deadly too.

Last edited:
  • 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Here in NL we eat 2 KG drop (black liquorice) per capita on average each year and we still get to live a tiny little bit longer on average than the people in the US.
Trick is, as with all kinds of foods and beverages: Don't consume it in an extreme way.
If you eat a lot of drop (black liquorice) in a short period, your brain will signal you to stop. You literary feel it in your head. Stupid if you ignore it.

Bottom-line: Too much alcohol is a bad idea, too much chocolat is a bad idea, too much fat as well etc. etc.
6-8 Liters of water a day can be deadly too.
Licorice from the Netherlands is my ABSOLUTE favorite. Dubbel Zoute Drop - every time I'm in Amsterdam I bring several back. I have not been able to find it in the US. Also, most US "licorice" candy (and I suspect Italy too) is flavored with Anise and not made from the actual licorice (glycyrrhizic acid) plant. Consequently it has no glycyrrhizic acid in it. Anise is in the same family as fennel. Tastes like licorice but is not the same plant.

Interesting link: Up Close & Edible: Licorice

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
We can chase away most foreigners by presenting them dubbel zoute drop.
But once you get used to it a bit, it is delicious. Bad for your blood pressure the next few days after eating, but delicious.

Damn, now I have the feeling I need some.
Because I'm diabetic I never have drop on the shelves at home.
Mmmm, big question is, am I going to cross the street to one of the two supermarkets there, or do I stay home? 🤔

• 1Hug
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
We can chase away most foreigners by presenting them dubbel zoute drop.
But once you get used to it a bit, it is delicious. Bad for your blood pressure the next few days after eating, but delicious.

Damn, now I have the feeling I need some.
Because I'm diabetic I never have drop on the shelves at home.
Mmmm, big question is, am I going to cross the street to one of the two supermarkets there, or do I stay home? 🤔
I found some of the Salmiakki as a sugar free - my control is that I have to wait for more to ship from Finland.... but now I'm curious about this dubble zoute drop... does it come in sugar free?

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Yes, but all babies, todlers and other non drop eaters are in that average too.
So my guess, the drop eaters have at least the double amount a year and that is a lot of sugar and salt, if you are a dubbel zout fan.

And yes, over the years an awful lot of other suger bombs (Haribo macht Kinder froh) from all over the world took over the Dutch supermarket candy shelves partly too.
And I was talking about real drop, not the drop like candy you see a lot elsewhere.

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
Obviously we need to protect the people and ban this assault licorice right away.

• 1Grumpy Cat
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I found some of the Salmiakki as a sugar free - my control is that I have to wait for more to ship from Finland.... but now I'm curious about this dubble zoute drop... does it come in sugar free?
Yes they come as sugarfree too, but you have to be very careful to use them, it can tie you to your toilet seat easily if you eat more than a few of them at a time.
All depends on the sugar replacement used, as with all sugar free candy.

Found an American adress, pretty expensive. But shipping from Europe is costly too.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Obviously we need to protect the people and ban this assault licorice right away.
And get rid of all the water in and around the US as well.
On average 3,500 people drown each year unintentionally.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Yes they come as sugarfree too, but you have to be very careful to use them, it can tie you to your toilet seat easily if you eat more than a few of them at a time.
All depends on the sugar replacement used, as with all sugar free candy.

Found an American adress, pretty expensive. But shipping from Europe is costly too.
Coolness - and yeah, my NP told me that erythritol can cause issues for people with IBS, which explains a lot. Though my Lakerol ones [can't add the umlaut over the a on this keyboard] hasn't caused me much trouble.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Sounds like the the same problem with people who would go on an all popcorn diet and end up tearing their insides up from it. All things in moderation.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Sid

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I love salmiakki, even though it is not cheep to get it over here. Although it seems some americans hate every kind of licorice so it is hillarious to watch youtube vids of them sounding out Finnish candies they have no idea what it is, mangle the pronunciation of salmiakki, pop a piece in their mouth, then have a priceless expression on their faces.