Ask the Freebie Queen of Second Life Anything! Ryan's New Updated Guide to Freebies in SL

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
I have pulled together all the best, most up-to-date information on how to find freebies in Second Life, here:
Clip and Save: Ryan’s All-In-One Guide to Freebies in Second Life

I have promised Cristiano that I would stop "drive-by website linking", so if anybody has any questions about steals, deals, and freebies in Second Life, I would be happy to answer them in this thread.

RyanSchultz

Well, I got a 24-hour ban from SL for posting this link to a few of the threads on the SL community forums discussing how to find freebies.

I'm taking a break from the official SL community forums for a while.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Well, I got a 24-hour ban from SL for posting this link to a few of the threads on the SL community forums discussing how to find freebies.

Why I haven't bothered with "official" forums since the days of Strife.

I wanted to go round with some of the forum personalities back then and didn't want to get SL bannzored for it.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Why I haven't bothered with "official" forums since the days of Strife.

I wanted to go round with some of the forum personalities back then and didn't want to get SL bannzored for it.
Yeah, it’s not worth the risk. I go over there very rarely.

Sid

One can't have enough coffee breaks.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes

I take that break since march 2007 already.
That's the month I first read about SL and gave it a go.

RyanSchultz

Yeah, they have been remarkably inconsistent about whether or not they ban me for posting a link back to my blog from the forums. I can go for months without an incident. And then every so often, out of the blue, I just get the banhammer. I'm feeling kinda sick and tired of it, to be honest.

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts

You posted the same link to multiple threads on the SL forums?

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I have pulled together all the best, most up-to-date information on how to find freebies in Second Life, here:

I have promised Cristiano that I would stop "drive-by website linking", so if anybody has any questions about steals, deals, and freebies in Second Life, I would be happy to answer them in this thread.
I see you mentioned deals on heads like Altamura's. You might want to add Absolut Creation Eve'olution head. I bought it for my alt when it was in beta; it's now been upgraded but still available for the same $L990,
I see they also have one fur the guys even cheaper, still in beta, but upgrades guaranteed. Adam mesh head bento, beta 1. (Glad I looked, I'll be picking that up for my mALT.)

Caliandris

SL Rez
Joined SLU
2006?

Please tell me why every Premium freebie from Linden Lab is plastered with 1024x1024 textures. I'd be particularly interested to know why the current Winter freebies are all 1024x1024 even with the most basic texture and I think someone who is not me should ask them the question. I nominate you!

In this case, even though one of the gifts has a greyscale ribbon texture which could have colour laid over it, they use a different 1024 texture for the other boxes. I can't be bothered to go through the whole folder of stuff this time (I don't have time) but it seems insane that they don't follow their own best practice rules.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Fionalein

RyanSchultz

I see you mentioned deals on heads like Altamura's. You might want to add Absolut Creation Eve'olution head. I bought it for my alt when it was in beta; it's now been upgraded but still available for the same $L990,
I see they also have one fur the guys even cheaper, still in beta, but upgrades guaranteed. Adam mesh head bento, beta 1. (Glad I looked, I'll be picking that up for my mALT.)
Thank you for the tips! I will investigate.

• 1Like
Reactions: Romana

RyanSchultz

I have added both heads to my lists of free and inexpensive mesh heads and bodies for men and women, thank you!

• 1Like
Reactions: Romana

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Yeah, they have been remarkably inconsistent about whether or not they ban me for posting a link back to my blog from the forums. I can go for months without an incident. And then every so often, out of the blue, I just get the banhammer. I'm feeling kinda sick and tired of it, to be honest.
That's why I came over here too...

[RANT]
Come on LL, if you already let your customers do the job a competent social media crew should do ... you could at least churn out some money for paying professional forums moderators instead...
[/RANT]

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
As mentioned elsewhere, the LL Forum serves a different purpose than VVO, and many of us read both. One reason I do Is that Lindens read, respond to, and make changes based on what we post. Our crankiness quite often pays off. For example, in response to a thread in which merchants bitterly complained at a malfunctioning filter that caused items to be unlisted without notice: The Unlisted Listings Problem

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Our crankiness quite often pays off.
Yes it does, I earned several suspensions, ... let the Lindens believe what their handpicked cheerleader zoo says*. I stopped trying to talk common sense into them.

* despite being proven wrong several times they still believe the official Forums are representative of the SL population as a whole. Their marketing staff clearly must be made up mostly from Trump university graduates or similar qualified personel.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Disagree
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Pamela