Are there any anti-war newscasters?

GoblinCampFollower

Usually for that stuff I go to independent media. My opinion of mainstream media in this country is not very high.
The USA has become horrifyingly militaristic. I think Obama and Hilary kind of made war cool for the left (or rather, for democrats), and it is hard to forgive them for it. The full price tag of the middle eastern wars is about 6 trillion dollars and upwards of half a million lives. The wars aren't just one of many right wring wrongs...

Aeon Jiminy

The USA has become horrifyingly militaristic. I think Obama and Hilary kind of made war cool for the left (or rather, for democrats), and it is hard to forgive them for it. The full price tag of the middle eastern wars is about 6 trillion dollars and upwards of half a million lives. The wars aren't just one of many right wring wrongs...
I agree with everything you said. It's probably impossible to calculate the actual "cost" of these wars. What's the cost of not really looking at the blood on our hands? How much potential dies in the rubble? What's the cost of all of the desperation left alive? Every time that we excuse these cowardly sociopathic Democrats as they feed our Military Monster, we participate in letting them turn us into brain-dead suicide bombers carrying their banners and cheering them to victory.

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
The USA has become horrifyingly militaristic.
Has become?
To give a little perspective from an outside view, that is seriously not a recent thing.
As a tiny anecdote, when I was in *school* (Which is quite a while ago now) I was already utterly baffled at hearing that the US spent almost half of the world's total military spending on their own. It sounds insane. it *is* insane in my mind.
The entire political US campaign setups are 'Us vs. Them' and 'We must win this fight' and politicians rallying voters no *for* something, but *against* the other party. Always those two parties. Red Vs. Blue. Team A vs. Team B. Always an 'enemy' and the 'good guys'. Like you'd see in a competition. Confrontation, battles and winning them.
The whole glorification of serving in an army is so incredibly higher in the US vs. most other western countries - and it has been, again, for a long long time.

So yeah. From an outside perspective, the country has been overly militaristic-flavored, you-must-defeat-your-enemy in several things. Not since Obama and Hillary, but for decades. The 'Us vs. Them' is just getting even *worse* lately.

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Has become?
Become wholly; yes.

There's been a strong jingoist tendency in popular American culture, yes. But there used to be the opposite also.

Since 2001 there hasn't been a significant pacifistic movement in the larger US culture, whereas there was from the late 60's even up to the 90's, if not the 2000s.

I will agree with you on this -the US went off the rails a fucking long time ago (about the time Rush Limbaugh became popular as far as I can tell -I won't disagree that the rot goes before that though).

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Democracy now, and some regular podcasts by former journalists. Dan Carlin is especially good, but he's more of a historian and pro-realist who is good at cutting through hypocracy and propadanda than a peace actisist - think of former military whose had it with "the machine" sending kids out to die.

GoblinCampFollower

Has become?
To give a little perspective from an outside view, that is seriously not a recent thing.
As a tiny anecdote, when I was in *school* (Which is quite a while ago now) I was already utterly baffled at hearing that the US spent almost half of the world's total military spending on their own. It sounds insane. it *is* insane in my mind.
The entire political US campaign setups are 'Us vs. Them' and 'We must win this fight' and politicians rallying voters no *for* something, but *against* the other party. Always those two parties. Red Vs. Blue. Team A vs. Team B. Always an 'enemy' and the 'good guys'. Like you'd see in a competition. Confrontation, battles and winning them.
The whole glorification of serving in an army is so incredibly higher in the US vs. most other western countries - and it has been, again, for a long long time.

So yeah. From an outside perspective, the country has been overly militaristic-flavored, you-must-defeat-your-enemy in several things. Not since Obama and Hillary, but for decades. The 'Us vs. Them' is just getting even *worse* lately.
You took that statement out of context in your response.

As Han Held pointed out, we've of course been far too militaristic for far too long, but there was always a strong anti war movement until very recently. I think it really started with WWII, but the STRONG anti war protests during Vietnam were close to non existent with the recent crap in Syria for example. The anti war movement is largely dead. I actually think my RL friends are against the wars, but think I'm eccentric for thinking it's such a big deal.

I will agree with you on this -the US went off the rails a fucking long time ago (about the time Rush Limbaugh became popular as far as I can tell -I won't disagree that the rot goes before that though).
I'm sure Rush would love to take credit, but what I'm talking about had nothing to do with him. I think it really was the Navy SEAL raid on Bin Laden where a large number of liberals decided war was too cool to still care that much about the human cost. Obama ran on an anti war platform, but it is no longer fashionable to care.

I think part of it was also the need to rally behind Hilary against Trump. I get wanting to defeat Trump at all costs, but it was just really, REALLY inconvenient to worry about her extreme hawkishness.

Last edited:

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
You took that statement out of context in your response.

As Han Held pointed out, we've of course been far too militaristic for far too long, but there was always a strong anti war movement until very recently. I think it really started with WWII, but the STRONG anti war protests during Vietnam were close to non existent with the recent crap in Syria for example. The anti war movement is largely dead. I actually think my RL friends are against the wars, but think I'm eccentric for thinking it's such a big deal.
Ahhh, yes. Yeah, that makes more sense. Sorry for the confusion there.

It *is* actually, in retrospect, a bit suprising that the anti-war movement is as quiet on the streets as it is - giving the rise of all kinds of awareness regarding social issues, internet discussions etc - but perhaps, now that I think of it, that might be also actualyl the reason.
These days the anti-war protests don't happen on the street anymore. They happen on the internet. As much as it has given us an amazing methods of communication with the everyone, it also kind of makes us protest and rally in..less physical ways. Certainly less obvious ways than what would be taken serious, or would garner media attention.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
A bunch of lazy people just telling their opinion in the internet and forgetting it five minutes after it happened are no protesters. Real protesters go onto the streets.
Ableist much?

There are many ways to effectively protest. Yes, marching in the street is one way but it is not the only one.

For example, during occupy when the cops finally shut down the dc camp I was at home. Say I had immediately left: it would have taken 30 minutes just to get to the general area and I would have been at the back of the crowd and not able to do much.

Instead I fired up several computers and signal boosted/sent to different social networks what people on the ground were reporting on several platforms and streaming from different areas.

However according to you what I did was not effective, right?

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I think he is referring to the 101st blogger division more than people who rationally think out their most effective action.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Anya Ristow and Han Held

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I think he is referring to the 101st blogger division more than people who rationally think out their most effective action.
I think he's tarring the latter group with the same brush that he's slathering over the first group with. And that's why I took umbrage. It was a vapid, lazy and cheap shot which discounted the fact that among the so-called "keyboard commandos" there's a not-insignifigant-number of people who actually do crap out in the real world.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Has become?

This current situation is the result of the world order set up at the conclusion of WW2. Before that war, a large number of Americans were isolationist, and if it had not been for the attack on Pearl Harbor, it’s not clear we would have entered the war at all.

There’s a dark side in this. The Nazis had a significant number of American sympathizers and some of Hitler’s most horrifying policies, such as concentration camps, were based on what he considered American precedents. American unwillingness to take in more refugees can also be considered a factor in the Holocaust.

So - imagine a world where Japan had listened to the voice of caution and left Pearl Harbor alone, and Nazis became a respectable party in an isolationist US - and you’re in a timeline we seem to be trying to re-enter.

Funding the US war machine is causing threats to cut funding in US safety net programs, including those for the elderly. It’s one of two main reasons we aren’t social democratic and it's shredding our society into pieces.

The other reason is the fossil fuel industry. This is international, and it's in control of the Republican Party. The industry uses the US war machine to further its interests. The Republican Party uses old regional divisions and resentments to secure its base. Red vs. Blue isn't about "teams," it's about the South vs. the North, our nineteenth century Civil War that's never been resolved. The "South" is now evangelical religion, and the "North" is everyone else. This is a religious and racial conflict.

The current world order can't deal with climate change and needs to be replaced. I think the old American isolationism is alive and well, but it's covered over by a sense that the political control exerted by corporations cannot be defeated. They have pretty much taken over the government.

Telling us we should tip the scales into a hot civil war against the hard Right is unwise in two ways: firstly, it's just another form of making someone else do it and bear the cost. The benefits of global empire aren't going to the average American - they're going to the one percent. But the cost of bloodshed will be borne hardest by the poor, just as the cost of militarization is being borne by the poor. The second way it's unwise is that a hot shooting war in the the US would, if it ignited, possibly turn into a world war anyway. The forces that are propping up the minority government of the Republicans are international in scope. I do not put it past these people to nuclear bomb a blue US city.

But what anyone can do is strengthen local institutions and refuse cooperation as much as possible. Blue states in the US are starting to do this, and we'll see more of it over time because Republican policies are bad for business and bad for society as a whole. So there will be escalating regional conflict, starting in courtrooms. Another path that must be followed is to support institutions that can lead to a gradual replacement of the current world order. Regional blocs with their own mechanisms for supporting human rights and regulating the excesses of corporations and finance are very important (this is why the Republicans love Brexit). Each country must fight its OWN hard Right as hard as possible. They're all pieces of one international movement.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I think he's tarring the latter group with the same brush that he's slathering over the first group with. And that's why I took umbrage. It was a vapid, lazy and cheap shot which discounted the fact that among the so-called "keyboard commandos" there's a not-insignifigant-number of people who actually do crap out in the real world.
Yes, I have done my share of street protests (and still do on occasion) but with several factors, including age, I think out now what will get the most accomplished.

Anya Ristow

bad influence
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
giving the rise of all kinds of awareness regarding social issues, internet discussions etc...These days the anti-war protests don't happen on the street anymore. They happen on the internet.
Where?

The internet is more managed than people are willing to accept. You are allowed to participate in an anti-war meme on facebook, provided facebook doesn't recognize it as such. Propagate a meme that actually has traction and you'll find yourself shadow banned. That's when an internet nanny corporation allows you to post but doesn't show your posts to anyone, because you are subversive.

There's a website with the actual name antiwar.com that is the source of commentary and memes. It has participation from right, left and libertarians. And...it's been silenced by the tech giants. Google has de-ranked them, facebook and twitter have squelched their reach.

Washington Post Disgracefully Promotes a McCarthyite Blacklist From a New, Hidden, and Very Shady Group

The group’s list of Russian disinformation outlets includes WikiLeaks and the Drudge Report, as well as Clinton-critical left-wing websites such as Truthout, Black Agenda Report, Truthdig, and Naked Capitalism, as well as libertarian venues such as Antiwar.com and the Ron Paul Institute.
Being anti-war is a Russian plot.

The charismatic talking heads tell you this is for the better, so all is well.

Last edited:

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Where?

The internet is more managed than people are willing to accept. You are allowed to participate in an anti-war meme on facebook, provided facebook doesn't recognize it as such. Propagate a meme that actually has traction and you'll find yourself shadow banned. That's when an internet nanny corporation allows you to post but doesn't show your posts to anyone, because you are subversive.

There's a website with the actual name antiwar.com that is the source of commentary and memes. It has participation from right, left and libertarians. And...it's been silenced by the tech giants. Google has de-ranked them, facebook and twitter have squelched their reach.

Washington Post Disgracefully Promotes a McCarthyite Blacklist From a New, Hidden, and Very Shady Group

Being anti-war is a Russian plot.

The charismatic talking heads tell you this is for the better, so all is well.
All this means is that effective activism needs to include people who are reasonably technical. It does. People still know how to network offline. They know how to manage their own servers. What did we do before social media? It’s not the whole internet. And that’s not even getting into things like .onion sites.
It’s not all memes on Facebook.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Han Held