Are freebies hurting the Second Life economy?

Spirit Lapis

Free Items are great for marketing and advertisements of stores. Most stores use freebies to show off what kind of things their stores offer - and it also helps the F2P users look somewhat decent rather then noob. Freebies have double standards. On one hand - helping the community - and on the other - marketing and advertising. I fail to see any downpoint to freebies.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I think gifts actually help the economy if anything. I generally have a box of them on my land. I need to spruce it all up a bit (I haven't done anything in SL for about 5 years now), but I've been logging in more lately and guess what ... buying things from other vendors. :)

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
On seeing this thread title pop up, I first thought somebody necro'd an old thread from 2007.
Then I realized that there are no old threads on VirtualVerse yet :|

Joined SLU
July 2007
SLU Posts
Freebies are fine, probably better for the economy than stores full of super-cheap tat. (She said, with a store full of super-cheap tat.) But neither of those affect the real powerhouses of SL commerce, so maybe neither one is an issue?

• 2Like
Reactions: IrishSpring and Govi

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Biggest pain in the arse I have is a confetti tossing freebie I sent out into the wilds in 2007. I still get requests:
-Where to buy them.
-Support requests.
-Support requests referred to me by the people who resell them.
-Modification requests.
-"Am I allowed to modify these?"
-More

Most are sweethearts, some abusive twats but very few of those.

Then there's the absolute dimtwit who insisted I accept a payment of L$500 for full rights and that I alter all the existing ones on the grid to no transfer, no modify for their commercial purposes.

I really should put them out somewhere. But it's been ten years and I still can't be arsed. :)

EmpressOfCommunism

Feted Inner Collective Farmer <3
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Freebies are 100% fine and people who don't think they are are probs just greedy.
I notice this atititude of "freebies are RUINING sl" more often in the official forums.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Are there really people who complain about freebies? Like as a general thing?

The only time I've noticed is when somebody decides to go out of business or leave SL completely and makes all his/her products free for like the last week, then you get all his competitors whinging about how that should be illegal or something.

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Are there really people who complain about freebies? Like as a general thing?
Sure. As Immy suggested up thread, I can easily picture Prokofy Neva having some choice words on the subject. Something about how the availability of good quality freebies discourages people from buying Lindens, meaning that these folks aren't participating in the economy and blah, blah, blah, fishpaste, blah, blah, blah, Ayn Rand, blah, blah, blah...

Never underestimate the abilities of a libertarian to have stupid economic opinions.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Oh - well yeah I guess there's always those crazies, but they have a problem with everything though.

You want a controversy, find a bunch of merchants and ask them how they feel about content creators choosing to sell high-quality products for cheap. Apparently a lot of people feel your right to self-determination of the value of your own work should not be absolute.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Wow! I remember this being a hot debate issue when I joined SL in 2008! Back then, just starting out, I had collected a ton of freebies - many of which are still tucked away in my inventory. I don't think they've harmed SL in the slightest.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I don't write down.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Kalel and Sid