Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Apple has a TV on demand?
Yeah it launched in November I think. It had a few splashy series with big names, but not much content. I loved The Morning Show, but nothing else really grabbed my interest except Dickinson, which I enjoyed. There's just not much there, unlike Disney+, which has a fuckton of content.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Apple didn't learn from their own App Store lesson.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
So Apple is putting in $6 billion on streaming. Meanwhile Netflix is spending $17.4 billion on content this year, and Disney spent over $8 billion to buy Marvel and Lucasfilm (Star Wars). Then they spent billions more to produce films and TV series for those universes. For a company worth $1,172 billion, this is small potatoes

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
TV is one area Apple has stuggled - first with the Apple TV devices themselves, which are a distant third to Roku and Fire TV, and then with their content business, which so far has been a flop.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I just got a notification that my free year of Apple TV+ is expiring in November and I seriously couldn't remember signing up nor why I would have wanted to.

Zaida Gearbox

There are only so many streaming services that people are going to be willing to pay for. We have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, CBS Steaming, Disney +. I mean come on - you could completely cut out cable tv - and just get all of this shit and guess what? It's cheaper to keep cable.

Not to mention how the fuck do we watch some of this stuff? I don't want to watch on my phone, Ipad, or computer. I want it on my TV. But, of course, I can't get Apple TV on my Yuku - similarly for Disney+. I want this shit on my puny little 37 inch tv without having to connect my computer to the TV.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
There are only so many streaming services that people are going to be willing to pay for. We have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, CBS Steaming, Disney +. I mean come on - you could completely cut out cable tv - and just get all of this shit and guess what? It's cheaper to keep cable.

Not to mention how the fuck do we watch some of this stuff? I don't want to watch on my phone, Ipad, or computer. I want it on my TV. But, of course, I can't get Apple TV on my Yuku - similarly for Disney+. I want this shit on my puny little 37 inch tv without having to connect my computer to the TV.
Newer smart tvs generally have the apps for them. You can also buy a Roku or FireTV (or AppleTV) to plug into your tv to have access to the viewing apps as well. You don't have to watch on a computer.

Zaida Gearbox

Newer smart tvs generally have the apps for them. You can also buy a Roku or FireTV (or AppleTV) to plug into your tv to have access to the viewing apps as well. You don't have to watch on a computer.
I do have a Ruku but it is pretty old, and probably needs to be replaced. But when I tried to find AppleTV on it - it said it wasn't available. Maybe that was a yet....

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Throw away TVs? If you don't couple your "Smart" TV with something open source and updatable like a Raspberry it will be obsolete in 5 years ....

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
So Apple is putting in $6 billion on streaming. Meanwhile Netflix is spending $17.4 billion on content this year, and Disney spent over $8 billion to buy Marvel and Lucasfilm (Star Wars). Then they spent billions more to produce films and TV series for those universes. For a company worth $1,172 billion, this is small potatoes
I would not use the financial value of a company as main dimension to measure that, but instead yearly revenue&profit, liquidity plus financial assets instead.

Then again also when using those numbers 6 billion US$ is really peanuts for Apple which has around 250-300 billion US$ in financial assets alone.

The difference between Apple and Netflix though is that Netflix has success and makes a somewhat profit, but also around 15 billion US$ in long term debt. As long as Netflix can pay back the credits on time all is ok, but should this come to a stop they will need to fight for their survival.

It also may take 2-3 years until you've got a portfolio of own produced series which might appeal to your audience. This means if Apple did not buy/preproduce enough own content before their launch we can expect that it takes some time until the service becomes popular enough and gains traction.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I have apple tv. Free right now but if I keep it it will only be 50 a year after that. The downside is they are building up their library right now so if you do not care for whatever is being released that week there is nothing to watch. The good stuff is really good though, like hbo quality good not netflix wewillmakeanything meh. It will be great if apple buys someone with a media library, like disney or sony.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I got a free year. Looked at the offerings. Have not watched a single show so far.