Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Apple is finally splitting off the iPhone and iPad versions of iOS:

It's about time - previous versions of iOS have only made marginal improvements on the iPad, which was still treated like a giant phone.

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
The slow creep to iPadMacOS.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Kara Spengler

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
It does feel like quite a substantial improvement, though I've only just begun playing with iPadOS 13. From the outset, seeing the app grid shift from the erstwhile 5x4 to a more reasonable 6x5, shrinking the icons a bit, feels much more fitting, down to tiny refinements like shifting the volume control info up to a discreet spot on the top rather than right in the middle of the screen. 'Snice.

Sadly, it's also time for A7 and A8 based devices to say goodbye to current OS releases, so no iPadOS for my old iPad Air, nor iOS for my iPhone 5s - iOS 13 now starts with the 6s. Still, six years isn't a terrible run for current OS support, and they'll still remain useful devices for a good while yet.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Mouse support is huge. OSU started giving students iPad Pros in their freshman year, but there are a number of Engineering requirements that don't have iPad options (like SolidWorks). Our solution is to use a Windows virtual machine on a server that is controlled from the iPads, and as it is now there is only one mouse that works thanks to a proprietary app. If there is native mouse support, that will make a lot of uses easier.

• 2Like
Reactions: Kara Spengler and Govi

Bartholomew Gallacher

So basically Apple is trying to reproduce the Microsoft Surface from the other side by making the iPad more laptop like. Why not...

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
I just realized how much it sounds like a Mexican dish.

"I'll have the chicken empanadas and a side of ipados."

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
As a once-upon-a-time engineering student and taking into consideration the software needs -- I would've preferred a Thinkpad.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Ashiri and Free

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts
There is no good software solution native to the iPad, and we already own Solidworks.

The real issue is in the hardware provided (which shouldn't be so restricted to one platform), not in the solution you've come up with.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The slow creep to iPadMacOS.
That is going on actually. There was a lot of pushback the other idea when the idea was announced but it seems like there are positive vibes to having a way to compile for either/both platforms in xcode.

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I am happy that iOS 13 will natively support Xbox One and PS4 controllers, instead of having to use the second rate Mfi gamepads.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Mouse support is huge. OSU started giving students iPad Pros in their freshman year, but there are a number of Engineering requirements that don't have iPad options (like SolidWorks). Our solution is to use a Windows virtual machine on a server that is controlled from the iPads, and as it is now there is only one mouse that works thanks to a proprietary app. If there is native mouse support, that will make a lot of uses easier.
As a dev I would LOVE to see a real file system and such. None of this having to open a remote shell to a server I keep online at all times. It is why you more often see web devs carrying around macbooks to show things to clients that are using ipads.