WTF Apparently Phoenix PD believes that shoplifting a 1$ barbie and a pair of underwear deserve torture and potentially the death penalty

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
And in this case we move from "potentially the death penalty" to actual execution as an unarmed woman is fatally shot in the face in response to a suspicion of shoplifting.

e.t.a.

Police have since identified and been in contact with the man accused of killing Varnado. Officials said that he is considered an “unofficial security guard” at the Walgreens in question, and has a valid FOID card, as well as a concealed carry license, ABC7Chicago noted.

As of Monday, no charges had been filed in the case.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
WTF is an "unofficial security guard"? Either you are on the payroll or you are not.
yeah, HOLY SHIT. My best guess is that this was just some klan member who needed no evidence to think he was saving the day from a black person.

I bet he'll claim she somehow threatened him and it was "self-defense." May as well just throw a baby off a roof and claim it threatened your life.

I believe this is by far the most common type of bigotry, a total lack of proportionality. "I got now problem with the gays, but my lesbian assistant kissed her girlfriend when she came to visit her in the office, so of course I had to fire her!" ...that basically happened to a close friend of mine. She went from an employee in high standing to FIRED over one normal kiss. This same asshole was also known to fire black employees because they were slightly late a couple times. It's easy to make these excuses sound legit on paper if you have no self awareness.

Last edited:

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
WTF is an "unofficial security guard"? Either you are on the payroll or you are not.
And even if you are, I'm pretty certain that doesn't give you the right to execute suspected shoplifters. And, no charges have been filed??? What. The. Actual. Fuck???

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
My buddies used to do it at the local CircleK to put a damper on beer runners. Basically stand around and look thuggish.

We weren't out to cap people in the head though. Just endless fountain drink refills.

no charges had been filed in the case
That about takes the fucking biscuit right there.

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
According to the story the guy even identified himself to his victim as the police - surely that's also a crime.
But they know who this guy is, they have spoken to his lawyer but they haven't arrested him yet? Why the hell not?

It always seems that to americans, the assumed criminal in any shooting is the dead one.