Anyone else getting seriously worried Trump will win in 2020?

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
As long as we are doing absolutely nothing to protect the election (from fake-news, bots, hackers, etc), I would say the answer is that Trump has it pretty much locked up. He has requested help from other countries and not been afraid to use US aide and other levers to enforce those requests. I don't see how any legitimate candidate can beat that.

He will be cheating. Platforms like Facebook and Twitter will be helping him to do so by promoting stories that are pushed by foreign bots. People will take the news put out by foreign actors as real. None of this is being addressed.

Last edited:

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
In the case of both Trump and Johnson, we both have a minority government. Thanks to the Electoral College, Trump took office despite a gap of 3m votes. Johnson was appointed by Tory party members after Theresa May couldn’t manage her own minority government.

Either could hold on to power with or without majority support because both of our systems have structural flaws that get worse in close elections. Or we could hopefully vote the bastards out.

Last edited:

Jopsy Pendragon

If you can't dazzle'm with dexterity...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Anyone else getting seriously worried Trump will win in 2020?
Bush Jr. got re-elected. I can't even begin to allow myself to hope that Trumps reign of crime, corruption, bigotry and ignorance will be a one-term nightmare. The disappointment would be too much to bear.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
Bush Jr. got re-elected. I can't even begin to allow myself to hope that Trumps reign of crime, corruption, bigotry and ignorance will be a one-term nightmare. The disappointment would be too much to bear.
Dubya got reelected on the heels of 9-11 and carried a high approval rate coming into reelection. Trump has impeachment and a fairly low approval rating, though he could still ride on Obama's economic coat-tails. Democrats have to really get their act together to have any real chance of beating him though.

Veritable Quandry

SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
If by "fairly low" you mean the only president since they started tracking approval ratings (with Eisenhower) to never have a positive approval rating at any point in office.

eta: For his first week in office, Trump did have an approval rating slightly above his disapproval rating, but it has never topped 50%.

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
:qft:

Plus, honestly -the party dynamics from where I'm sitting seem to be a replay of the same shit-show that 2016 was.

I'm bracing for the worst, as much as I'm able to.

Dain Shan

Seeing the reviews and the news that we get down here in Eurpe from the US, im nearly sure he will get reelected.
Nothing was done to convice his base followers that it would be really bad when he's at the trigger again.

Nothing will change ........ again :(

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
i like to think I take a realistic view of things. The signs are not good. Even some resisters don’t seem to grasp how much danger we are in. It is encouraging to know that a very broad coalition of resisters has been activated.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Ruth Bader Ginsburg.
This.
Another term is another four years he can do more damage to the country. He does have the nuclear codes, after all.
And this.

The damage that has already been wrought so far, such as the judiciary alone, may take decades to reverse. The power of the executive office to wreak the havoc he has will have to be reined in, after he's gone assuming we have much of a democracy left considering how he has so far successfully weakened congress.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
If by "fairly low" you mean the only president since they started tracking approval ratings (with Eisenhower) to never have a positive approval rating at any point in office.

eta: For his first week in office, Trump did have an approval rating slightly above his disapproval rating, but it has never topped 50%.
Well, I say "fairly" because it's not as low as I think it should be.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
The preconditions surrounding his election were different - America was hysterical and bloodthirsty after 9/11, and Bush Jr. started two wars, the one in Afghanistan which made the Russians smile and in Iraq. So he had a big support of the public behind him, because he did something against the terrorists - at least that's what the public believed. I mean in reality nothing breeds terrorism better than such wars, and that's exactly what happened.

Trump on the other hand wants to avoid a new war at all costs, so he has not this "gone to war" momentum behind him to support him.

Having said that it is though quite likely Trump will get his second term - unless his health forbids it or the Democrats get their stuff together. While Trump is a narcissist and egomaniacal asshole, he's also by no means the worst president America ever had.

Last edited:

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
The preconditions surrounding his election were different - America was hysterical and bloodthirsty after 9/11, and Bush Jr. started two wars, the one in Afghanistan which made the Russians smile and in Iraq. So he had a big support of the public behind him, because he did something against the terrorists - at least that's what the public believed. I mean in reality nothing breeds terrorism better than such wars, and that's exactly what happened.

Trump on the other hand wants to avoid a new war at all costs, so he has not this "gone to war" momentum behind him to support him.

Having said that it is though quite likely Trump will get his second term - unless his health forbids it or the Democrats get their stuff together. While Trump is a narcissist and egomaniacal asshole, he's also by no means the worst president America ever had.
He’s absolutely the worst in my lifetime, or my grandparents.’ Even someone hated like Nixon was not this incompetent.

But Donald the Clown is a figurehead. The real problem is McConnell, and plutocrats operating behind the scenes. We are in a coup. I don’t know what people expect us to do, besides voting, and the voting machines are broken.

The violence will start after Trump is re-elected, in places where desperation takes over after increased austerity and police violence. This will not get us the government back - it will accelerate the transformation into a prison state full of poverty.

Then the EU gets to deal with three large totalitarian powers, instead of two. My advice to you - arm yourselves. NATO is over if Trump is re-elected.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
If the orange one keels over Ivanka could take Bush Jr's lead and become our first female president.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
While Trump is a narcissist and egomaniacal asshole, he's also by no means the worst president America ever had.
If he's not he's at the least tied for last place. Andrew Jackson was arguably more corrupt but as far as I know he never asked a foreign power to intervene in elections.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

His strategy is not to care about his overall opinion rating as long as his base is with him no matter what.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Seeing the reviews and the news that we get down here in Eurpe from the US, im nearly sure he will get reelected.
Nothing was done to convice his base followers that it would be really bad when he's at the trigger again.

Nothing will change ........ again :(
Because it is a 'what is the point'. His base is his base. He could die in office and they would elect his corpse. I am not even joking.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Trump is a symptom. Getting rid of him is a good thing because he's a volatile lunatic, but it will not solve our deeply rooted governance problems. The next GOP president could be competent, after all, and then we're well and truly screwed.

Veritable Quandry

SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Problem is his base is rather narrow. He needs to hold Pennsylvania and Florida to win. Plus Midwestern farming communities that are seeing increased bankruptcies as they get caught between higher tariffs on steel and equipment driving up costs and retaliation for trade policies shrinking their market.

If the Dems stress getting bodies to the polls, those close states flip. Don't get complacent, but don't give up either.