Anyone else getting seriously worried Trump will win in 2020?

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
1) Trump has been trying to take credit for the boom he inherited since the moment he took office. ...and a lot of people believe him since they don't realize how slow an economic cycle is. Even if he totally fucks up all the trade deals, it won't cause a downturn quickly enough to make him look bad for 2020 to many people.

2) The legal case against him is iron clad, but that doesn't matter if Senate Republicans won't vote on that. Nixon did not have a cult of personality anything like Trump's.

3) The democratic party is looking horribly fractured. We have centrists who can't rally the base and leftists who aren't very popular with the middle. There are elements of the Republican party who hate Trump, but that's trivial compared to how much liberals are getting at one another's throats...

I don't have a solution, just venting. I still look forward to casting my totally irrelevant vote in a deep red state, haha.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
45 holds the better cards at the moment.
A second term is possible.
But who knows.
A lot can happen in the next months.
It would be a good things if the Dems could unite quickly around one candidate and not have to fight each other until their national convention.
A quick collapse of the economy would help too. The next one will come that is a certainty, question is when not if. Not that politics can do very much pro or contra a recession, economy moves in cycles, but the sitting ones get the credits or the blame.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
45 holds the better cards at the moment.
A second term is possible.
But who knows.
A lot can happen in the next months.
It would be a good things if the Dems could unite quickly around one candidate and not have to fight each other until their national convention.
A quick collapse of the economy would help too. The next one will come that is a certainty, question is when not if. Not that politics can do very much pro or contra a recession, economy moves in cycles, but the sitting ones get the credits or the blame.
45 has been manipulating the market, with his trade wars and his tweets (yes, his tweets. I found out recently there are trading algorithms built around them) and probably more behind the scenes. He doesn't care what happens after he is either reelected or has to leave, he just wants to hold the collapse off to afterwards. "Aprés moi, le déluge". Bastard.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Never take anything for granted in politics. The Dems need to select a candidate and get behind them once the choice is clear, and then focus on turnout. That’s what worked in the midterms: getting bodies to the polls despite efforts to make that more difficult.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Wait - he already got elected by you once - how should it get worse? Don't you think we (the rest of the world) already lost the last bit of respect of your nation by now? Dealing with the US is like dealing with China - you know you shouldn't but there's no alternative either.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
I don't believe there is a magic formula that avoids cycles all together, but I do believe government policies can have a definite effect. ...however, the effects produced by these policies often move at a glacial pace. The public may decide a policy failed or succeeded long before it's effect is noticeable. In particular, I don't think there is any real doubt that the trade war hurt the economy. It IS true that good trade deals could make up for it, but the fact that the trade deals haven't materialized means that so far, the effect is guaranteed to be negative. But the damage done isn't noticeable to most people yet, so many Trump supporters are already declaring victory, despite the absence of deals.

Never take anything for granted in politics. The Dems need to select a candidate and get behind them once the choice is clear, and then focus on turnout. That’s what worked in the midterms: getting bodies to the polls despite efforts to make that more difficult.
I know I'll pretend to love whoever wins the primary! But I'm of course not the one you have to convince. A lot of my friends have developed frothing at the mouth hatred of some democrat candidates for silly things. Our own people are working overtime to dig up dirt on potential candidates that Trump can use against the winner.

Wait - he already got elected by you once - how should it get worse? Don't you think we (the rest of the world) already lost the last bit of respect of your nation by now? Dealing with the US is like dealing with China - you know you shouldn't but there's no alternative either.
Saying that help you feel superior? I'm sure you nation is perfect, with an immaculate history.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Saying that help you feel superior? I'm sure you nation is perfect, with an immaculate history.
Hell no, but it it is about time for the US citizens to learn that as well - and yes I feel superior to Murican patriots every day.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Unless the Democrats are able to pull out one candidate which wields the charisma Obama had I am pretty convinced that Trump gets reelected, if impeachment does bring no result.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
You know you're just preaching to the quire here, right? If you want to tell this to US patriot conservatives, you're on the wrong forum.
Given the current state of U.S. politics, it's no time to get indignant about other's people scorn. This is our mess, even if you as a single individual didn't create it.

We have nukes and we've handed them over to a man with the intellect of a turnip and the temperament of a 3-year-old. We've put the entire planet at risk. It's lovely if someone is kind and generous enough to absolve specific American individuals for this situation, but I don't demand that gesture. No one should have to dance around our sensitive feelings.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
Given the current state of U.S. politics, it's no time to get indignant about other's people scorn. This is our mess, even if you as a single individual didn't create it.

We have nukes and we've handed them over to a man with the intellect of a turnip and the temperament of a 3-year-old. We've put the entire planet at risk. It's lovely if someone is kind and generous enough to absolve specific American individuals for this situation, but I don't demand that gesture. No one should have to dance around our sensitive feelings.
I would never declare that every Russian is guilty for putting Putin in power, and see no reason to tolerate the same generalization of Americans.

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Hell no, but it it is about time for the US citizens to learn that as well
The US is a plutocracy being controlled through propaganda. Trump is outside that plutocracy, but shares most of its goals. His supporters have been duped into thinking they accomplished something. The best approach to getting rid of him is to discredit him as an agent for change. That's not the strategy that the Democrats...even the progressive ones...are taking.

• 1Agree
  • 1Like
Reactions: Isabeau and Sean Gorham

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
That's not exactly a new idea, like this caricature named "The bosses of senate" out of 1889 clearly shows. You could argue that just the companies changed... of course, because oil or information technologies&software back then was non existant, while coal today is minor for example.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
How could it get worse? Are you that lacking in imagination?

• 1Agree

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oh cheer up people, no matter how ashamed you may feel about the current state of the US or how the scorn of other nationals may sting, at least you can all get together and laugh at us in the UK. We can take it.
The impression I have gotten is that MANY of us across the globe are fighting the same battle we Americans are -- and we feel kinship with one another, not scorn. I don't love or respect Brits any less for having made a mess almost as awful as ours.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

You are welcome to claim this mess if you want to. Here in DC we overwhelmingly voted for the D nominee in 2016. The irony is we are often involved with politics on some level yet the rest of you have not seen fit to give us the same status as a state, like actually letting us vote in the legislature.

No, I do not hold a random person here at fault for our not being given statehood yet, even though there are smaller existing states and it does not violate the constitution (we are not asking to have the federal district). That would be silly. So why is it silly that people here are at fault for dotty donnie?

• 1Like