Yay! Animesh is here

Nadeja

SL Rez
Animesh, first announced a year ago (!), allows independent objects to use rigged mesh and animations, just as you see today with mesh avatars. This means that you can now have wild animals, pets, vehicles, hair, zombies …. The possibilities are in your hands! We’ve created a Wiki which outlines how you can begin playing with Animesh. If you are a Premium Account, you will be able to attach two Animesh attachments instead of one. Note: You will need to be on an Animesh Enabled Viewer to see Animesh objects work correctly; if you are using a third party viewer they can let you know when support will be available.
Further info:
Animesh is Here!

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Another reason to drop the bots?

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Another reason to drop the bots?
Maybe? Don't some boots have more functionality, like chatting or sending offline info etc.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Maybe? Don't some boots have more functionality, like chatting or sending offline info etc.
I don't see why any gap couldn't be scripted away.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
If you are a Premium Account, you will be able to attach two Animesh attachments instead of one.
So you CAN have animesh attachments on your avatar. I didn't know if this would be possible.

I imagine this means tails and wings, for instance, that can articulate better than allowed by the Bento bones?

• 1Like
Reactions: Porsupah Ree

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Land impact.
Bot vs animemesh object. Somebody needs to do some testing!

(But hey, one less bot = one more human avatar can access the region)

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
I wouldn’t want to be in any group that would have me as a member!

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
I imagine this means tails and wings, for instance, that can articulate better than allowed by the Bento bones?
Ehhh...I don't see the advantage with wings or tails, since the basic SL avatar bento skeleton already provides bones for those.

However, imagine an extra set of arms. Right now such things exist as bento attachments, but they essentially just (ab)use stuff like the wing bones etc. and move them to use them for the rigged extra arms instead. Which means you can't use wings at the same time, etc. etc.

But with animesh, you could wear an extra set of animesh arms that use their exclusive copy of bones - including bento'd hands of their own that articulate independently of your own bento hands - as animesh essentially uses its own copy of the SL skeleton. And you wouldn't have to somehow abuse your own avatar's bones for them :)

But yeah, there's that attachment limit of course.

• 1Like
Reactions: Dakota Tebaldi

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Okay, it has been out for a day now.
[viper mode] What did they screw up? [/viper mode]

• 1LOL
Reactions: Tirellia

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Penny Patton

Graphical Moo
Okay, it has been out for a day now.
[viper mode] What did they screw up? [/viper mode]
  • Last I heard, you cannot resize animesh. Given SL's well known scale issues that is going to be a dealbreaker for me on animesh content until this changes. LL has not said definitively that this will ever change, only that they'd consider it after the release of animesh, which usually means Oz Linden will be closing any Jira request for it as "Won't Fix" because LL thinks its a great idea to put programmers with no skill, experience or interest in design, presentation and user experience in charge of design, presentation and features that would improve the overall user experience.
  • I'm concerned that since most rigged content in SL right now is for avatars, and content creators have been entirely neglectful of resource usage since there is effectively no caps on avatar resource use, this could result in most users initial experience with animesh being "Holy crap, that LI cost is not worth it!" I've already heard people complain about animesh due to the LI cost when the problem wasn't animesh, it was the high poly avatar content they were trying to turn into an animesh object.
  • This is yet another missed opportunity to try and reign in some of SL's content creation problems. Namely, animesh should also have taken texture use into account for it's LI cost. Being a brand new feature there would be no existing content to worry about breaking, and it could have a runoff effect of content creators being more mindful of texture use in their non-animesh content.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Nadeja

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Penny: We need to fix this. It's a problem.

LL: LOOK OVER HERE NEW SHINY!!!