American man killed on North Sentinel Island

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
What is trying to facilitate end times prophesy of spreading the gospel to all nations, Alex?

Expect more of these.
I'm not sure we're going to see an upsurge of this. Christian missionaries have been working for centuries to spread the word of Jesus - some through love and kindness, others through bashing people over the head with their Bibles. This guy was a lone zealot who I feel was trying to earn points with God, and did so without any consideration of the consequences of his action on those he was trying to "save".

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
From a CNN article:

I lack the words to properly and fully express the stupidity of these people.
Yeah apparently love is knowing when to say "I don't care about your feelings, mine are more important". Not exactly how I learned it in kindergarten...but, brave new world I guess?

Last edited:

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I was unclear. Not necessarily an upsurge, but these end times guys are a thing and North Sentinel are a well known 'uncontacted'. Sooner or later...
I can agree with that. There's a lot of zealots out there who may consider the Sentinelese to be low-hanging fruit.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Since no one speaks the Sentinelese language, which is said (presumably on the basis of what was observed when the British kidnapped some of the islanders in the early C19th) to have no connection with other local languages, I'm wondering how the late Mr Chao was intending to explain Christianity to the islanders. Was he simply relying on the gift of tongues kicking in at an opportune moment?

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Since no one speaks the Sentinelese language, which is said (presumably on the basis of what was observed when the British kidnapped some of the islanders in the early C19th) to have no connection with other local languages, I'm wondering how the late Mr Chao was intending to explain Christianity to the islanders. Was he simply relying on the gift of tongues kicking in at an opportune moment?
From his letter or journal segments, whatever those pages I saw were, he was clearly so deep into his own delusions he probably believe exactly that.

Tigger

The most astonishing thing to me is the reaction of this ICC group, as reported in that Mail article Dakota linked to:

Chau was a Christian missionary who wanted to interact with members of the Sentinelese tribe, according to International Christian Concern.

William Stark, ICC's regional manager, paid tribute to Chau and condemned his killing.

'We here at International Christian Concern are extremely concerned by the reports of an American missionary being murdered in India's Andaman and Nicobar Islands.

'Our thoughts and prayers go out to both John's family and friends. A full investigation must be launched in this this murder and those responsible must be brought to justice. India must take steps to counter the growing wave of intolerance and violence.'
I don't even know where to start with that response, they clearly know nothing about the situation or the people involved but that doesn't stop them diving right on in there. Growing wave of intolerance and violence, well, I guess you could say the Sentinelese are intolerant and violent but that's not what they mean. They are trying to hammer this square peg into a round hole of their own persecution complex and to connect this incident with what they clearly view as growing anti-christian violence.

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
This dude who died forgot to bring his oboe with him, so it was clearly his own fault.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Dianne E. Anderson's thread is worth reading.

Most of them are satisfied with the martyrdom of people saying "Happy Holidays" or Starbucks in December giving them their coffee in insufficiently Christmassy mugs, but some of them want the full, hands-on, martyrdom experience, it seems.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

(It becomes clear from the comments that the islanders kidnapped in 1880 by Commander Portman were, in fact, Jarawas from a neighbouring island rather than Sentinelese -- <shocked, I tell you, shocked>Wikipedia is mistaken! </shocked, I tell you, shocked>).

Jorus Xi

“The gods of the Disc have never bothered much about judging the souls of the dead, and so people only go to hell if that's where they believe, in their deepest heart, that they deserve to go. Which they won't do if they don't know about it. This explains why it is so important to shoot missionaries on sight.”
― Terry Pratchett, Eric

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
This ridiculous notion that people have to be "saved" and converted to Christianity is fucking madness. No sympathy for this guy. He didn't deserve to die, but he knew the risks and invaded this tribe, so it is a direct consequence of his actions. I don't blame the tribe for defending itself.
Amen, brother! Preach!

;)

Tigger

ICC seems to be distancing themselves from their earlier statement:

ICC Clarifies Earlier News Release Regarding the Death of Missionary John Chau | Persecution

They basically are admitting they just put out boilerplate text that they use whenever they hear someone has been 'persecuted' for being a Jesus nutter and didn't know anything about the actual situation. Shocking.
Am I the only one who actually laughed when they saw that the address and title of that website is "Persecution"?