Amazon ends hazard pay while Bezos net worth climbs $30B during pandemic

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I think a lot of people may have no choice, but those who are able should think about alternatives. I try to never use Amazon in normal times, but I live in proximity of many stores. If I can’t find it, i do without. At the moment, when we are all self-isolating, I’m just doing “more” without. This is probably much more difficult for those in out of the way places, or with health issues though.

I do find it a tad depressing that so many use it with such enthousiasme, though.

• 2Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Cristalle, Free and Sid

Sid

Lurking until the next post
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Amazon is (still) a small potato in the Netherlands.
And as far as I'm concerned they stay that way. Why should an American company come over the ocean to take over our market?
We have all we need for a long time already.

Bol.com is the big fish in our waters. Their goods are most of the time delivered next working day.
Third party stores selling on Bol, do so according to their own policy. That is mostly next working day or within 2 - 3 days.
Bol has it's own premium offering called Select: for 9,95 anually, you get free shipment all year long.
They don't do clothing, but for the rest from peanut butter to dish washers, they have it all.

And still, if I want to buy a third party product that I found on bol.com, I will go to the third party website to order, just to cut out the middle man.
I think it is not good if one company gets the monopoly on things.

• 2Like
Reactions: Soen Eber and Isabeau

Free

Chapeau-ed Leader of the Free World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I think a lot of people may have no choice, but those who are able should think about alternatives. I try to never use Amazon in normal times, but I live in proximity of many stores. If I can’t find it, i do without.
I maintain a Prime account for buying/shipping stuff, and continue to use it (not a lot these days, but still) for the reason that I don't have much in the way of shopping alternatives close to me - except when it comes to groceries, thank the goddesses! "Low-end" general product stores like Wal-Mart or Target or even Best Buy are 20 or more miles round trip. For better options, it's much further.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

Sid

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
It has advantages to live in a tiny but crowded country at the North Sea.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I think a lot of people may have no choice, but those who are able should think about alternatives. I try to never use Amazon in normal times, but I live in proximity of many stores. If I can’t find it, i do without. At the moment, when we are all self-isolating, I’m just doing “more” without. This is probably much more difficult for those in out of the way places, or with health issues though.

I do find it a tad depressing that so many use it with such enthousiasme, though.
Yeah, it is like walmart coming in, causing the competition to close, and then telling people they should not shop there. If you have an alternative, great, but when that is the only store you can get to what is the alternative?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Sid

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Walmart can only cause the competition to close, because the customers seem not to give a f*ck until it is too late.
They want big, bigger and cheap, cheaper.
So in the end you get where you are spending your money: extreme low wages and a happy few that extremely fill their wallets.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Walmart can only cause the competition to close, because the customers seem not to give a f*ck until it is too late.
They want big, bigger and cheap, cheaper.
So in the end you get where you are spending your money: extreme low wages and a happy few that extremely fill their wallets.
I agree, but to be strictly accurate, Walmart, or any other large, out-of-town, hypermarket can cause the competition to close simply by being able to reduce its local competition's margins sufficiently that they can't afford to remain in business.

Once the local butcher closes because Walmart have taken the 25% of his customers who "seem not to give a f*ck", the local greengrocer, bakery, clothes and hardware stores are going to take further hits, too, because as well as the customers they've already lost to Walmart, they'll lose a lot more people who think, "since I've got to drive to Walmart anyway for the meat, I might as well get everything else while I'm there"

Sid

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Putting competition out of business is only part of the problem.
They can only be cheap and efficient because they treat manufacturers, the staff and the transport firms like oranges. Squeeze them out until go no more.
The moment we use them, we allow them to squeeze. And it is not only Wallmart or Amazon.
It happens world wide, in all kind of branches. We are not the nice social people we pretend to be, as soon as our wallet is involved.
And the further away the people are, the less we seem to care.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Putting competition out of business is only part of the problem.
They can only be cheap and efficient because they treat manufacturers, the staff and the transport firms like oranges. Squeeze them out until go no more.
The moment we use them, we allow them to squeeze. And it is not only Wallmart or Amazon.
It happens world wide, in all kind of branches. We are not the nice social people we pretend to be, as soon as our wallet is involved.
And the further away the people are, the less we seem to care.
Or we are (or some of us try to be) as nice and social people as the constraints imposed by the economic and social structures in which we live allow us to be -- it's an example of how, in Marxian terms, the economic base determines, to a greater or lesser extent, all social and cultural relationships.

My shopping decisions, as do anyone else's, depend on, among other things, my needs, my financial circumstances, my physical access, and my means of transport, to stores and suppliers, and the constraints upon my time imposed by my need to earn a living.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Why not both?

There are things that out of our direct control, of course, and we make do. Not because we a don’t care, but because we are pushed along with the herd. But yes, many do not “care”, or rather, a small inconvenience to themselves is too much to ask. Or we are lazy, or we simply don’t see the immediate positive or negative consequence. I include myself in this, I’m not wagging my finger. Without govt imposed regulations, we tend to go for the easier route. Even when we try to do the right thing, seeing those in power (whether by $ or govt) “get away” with doing what we trying so hard NOT to do is disheartening to most.

But yes, some don’t give a f... and have a “Ive got my own” attitude.

• 1Like
Reactions: Sid

Free

Chapeau-ed Leader of the Free World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'll say this: Amazon's shipment tracking system is not working very well right now.

On Sunday, I put through an order for 3 items, some things I've been holding off on but couldn't wait for any longer. Checking my orders list this morning, the first item originally claimed it was shipped, FEBRUARY 2 2020. After I visited the tracking page, it now says it'll be delivered June 2. The second item keeps claiming it will be arriving Monday by 9pm, which I doubt possible even if the company shipping it is right down the block from me. The last item says it'll show up 3-7 days from now, which is what I expected but, who knows.