Amazon ends hazard pay while Bezos net worth climbs $30B during pandemic

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,490
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
I want to lock this guy in an elevator with Elizabeth Warren and Katie Porter.
I would prefer it to be him and a dozen of his warehouse employees.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
2,476
Location
Montréal
Or me. I’d punch him in his long neck.

I girl can dream...
 

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
Joined
Jul 30, 2019
Messages
1,038
SL Rez
2017
I think the French had the right idea, a couple of hundred years ago. Bezos should be first.
Careful what you wish for, Trump mobilized the angry masses... Now that they are armed and deprived of moral inhibitions... just imagine wht would happen when they focus their entitlement on a share of wealth...
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,902
SLU Posts
18459
Why single out Bezos, who owns about 9% or 10% of Amazon rather than the owners (including institutional shareholders) of the other 90% of the business, who have presumably seen the value of their shares grow by the same amount?

I'm a bit unsure about the wisdom of connecting share value with employees' pay and conditions, since the company's share value isn't something that can readily be converted into cash to pay the workforce, at least not as a long-term plan -- share value is not the same as money in the bank, any more than is the value of your house until you come to sell it.

There's plenty for which to attack Amazon as a business, but I'm not sure this is a particularly sound line of attack -- the decision to end double-overtime and hazard pay would have been a bad one regardless of Amazon's share value, and, had the circumstances been different, the argument "We had to end the programme because the fact our shares were falling meant we could no longer afford it" would have been spectacularly wrong.
 
  • 2Like
Reactions: Cristiano and Govi

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
719
This is why I cancelled my Amazon Prime account and never shop at Amazon. Ebay and Craigslist fill my needs for the moment , and doing without (yes, I'm still a cheapskate).
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
Joined
Jul 30, 2019
Messages
1,038
SL Rez
2017
This is why I cancelled my Amazon Prime account and never shop at Amazon. Ebay and Craigslist fill my needs for the moment , and doing without (yes, I'm still a cheapskate).
I avoid them too whenever possible, however the cheap Chinese open source hardware circuit boards and controller modification sets seem only to exist on Ebay Alibaba and Amazon...

When my choice is between an Adafruit RTC module for 30 bucks plus 2 month shipping time or 5 Chinese no name RTCs for 5 bucks I can get tomorrow I cannot always decide for quality...
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,490
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
Or me. I’d punch him in his long neck.

I girl can dream...
I forgot to mention none of his employees would be wearing ppe. And that it would suffer a breakdown.
 

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
165
Location
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
SL Rez
2002
SLU Posts
15989
I read that Kroger (grocery store) is ending their $2 pandemic raise for employees.
 
  • 1Facepalm
Reactions: Govi

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
4,451
Location
Right... Behind... You...
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
65535
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Sid

One can't have enough coffee breaks.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,380
Location
Limburg, NL
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Yes
If you're all that upset: Don't buy at Amazon.
If enough people do so, they'll get the message.

And otherwise it is good for yourself.
I for instance never use Shell, because how sloppy they are/were in Africa with their oil production.
Shell is still around, but I feel good about it when I skip a Shell station to fill my car up with another brand instead.
 
Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle and Isabeau

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,490
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
If you're all that upset: Don't buy at Amazon.
If enough people do so, they'll get the message.

And otherwise it is good for yourself.
I for instance never use Shell, because how sloppy they are/were in Africa with their oil production.
Shell is still around, but I feel good about it when I skip a Shell station to fill my car up with another brand instead.
The problem is they drove a lot of their competition out of business. I am self isolating as much as possible. Where should I get my supplies? Ebay?