All Things Nintendo, but not Animal Crossing: Nobody Cares

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
Decided to start a general thread for anything Nintendo that isn't Animal Crossing.

I'm going to cover some accessories I found useful for the Switch.

If you hate the d-pad of the default Left Joycon like I do, and never do the hipster-playing-on-rooftops-with-joycons-separated like in that silly Switch launch video,the Hori D-Pad L Joycon will serve you well. You can't use it with a grip since it doesn't have wireless, and it doesn't have HD rumble, but the d-pad is almost as good as the one on the Vita. The d-pad even feels better than the one on the Pro controller

If you want to use your existing PS4/Xbox controller with the switch to supplement or in place of the Pro controller, this 8bitdo dongle is recomended, it also comes with a USB-C to USB-A OTG cable, so you can use it without a dock/stand.

When you pair it, make sure to not have a pro controller already plugged in, but once it's properly paired and set up you can use both at the same time.

If you're wanting a better stand for your switch than that silly built-in flap to use in tabletop mode, Hori (again) has a couple of good solutions. Note that these are NOT docks for hooking the Switch up to a TV:

This one is ultrabasic, just charging, I picked it up when I bought my switch:

This Multiport one is better, larger and more sturdy and it has 4 USB ports. I received it as a birthday gift:

If you're wanting a extra dock, and don't want to shell out for the hard to find and expensive official dock, this USB-C dongle is inexpensive (also works with some tablets and phones). again, it was a birthday gift.

Quick Caveat, it won't work, plugged into one of the above stands.

I picked up this basic case when I bought my switch, in December. It just holds the switch and comes with two small plastic game/SD card cases that fit inside it.

Oh and here's that silly switch launch video with young attractive hipsters playing on rooftop:

Though it had me at...portable....Skyrim (and later on Diablo), though I waited a couple of years to pick one up.

Last edited:
  • 1Flower
Reactions: Free

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
Picked up the Hori Split Pad Pro, it has Daemon X Machina branding, but it is discreet. I figured I would eventually because the portable ergonomics of the regular switch are...well....not great. Even the Vita felt better in the hands.

More comfortable for portable mode especially with games like Borderlands. Select and Start, I mean - and + have better placement and are more comfortable to use. The sticks are slightly nicer than the Joy-con sticks (though they're concave) and it has a proper d-pad.

Caveats:
Only for portable mode, but that's okay if you can tolerate the Pro-pad docked.
Bulky, so you'll need a big case, which I also bought. I still have to detach the split pad to put it in the case though.
No NFC for Amibo support
No Rumble
And since it's a third party controller, you can't use the switch's button remapping feature with it. Which is VERY annoying, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo because they think their Joy-Cons are "perfect". :rolleyes:

I use the button mapping feature with Skyrim and Diablo so the controls match the PlayStation ones. I just wish Nintendo would get with the "in the US the bottom button is confirm and the right one is cancel" program, but they don't give NOA enough freedom to go their own way.