netflix AJ And The Queen

OrinB

I'm here...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
I noticed this on my Netflix on friday and managed to binge watch the whole season this weekend. It was a pleasant surprise to see RuPaul had made a TV series. I'd not heard about it so had no idea what to expect.

I really enjoyed it! It's always good to see LGBT+ daily life portrayed on TV with prejudices confronted and aired. I can imagine this was a difficult series to commission. I did feel the writing was a little rough in places, though i sort of expect that's down to RuPaul being such a tour de force in the making of this (Co-creator, EP, Producer, Writer, Actor...) and using it as a vehicle to parade some of his favourite stars from Drag Race. I felt he was pretty true to himself througout, which did come across as clumsy and hamey in places. I did feel his supporting cast were really impressive though, covering some of the flaws in the writing through their own characterisations and acting skills.

The stand out to me had to be the young actor playing the runaway foster kid. Although pretty raw, her ability was really great to see. I felt she could have had a little more direction though.

I've had a look online since and osme of the reviews were quite low, but they averaged out pretty reasonably at the top end of the scale. And as a sort of rom-com road movie type show it worked for me.

I wonder if there will be a sequel?

OrinB

I'm here...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
I've only seen a couple of Trixie and Katya shows. this was great. I love the addition of humanity to drag. Seeing people show behind the show. It's great to hear their experience of working with RuPaul and their instant reactions to the series.

Myradyl Muse

Mermaid Myradyl Muse
SL Rez
Sorry a little late to the tableau. Just began watching the series. I love it! 💖 Definitely have to agree that the young actor is amazingly talented. And RuPaul is simply so multi-talented that my admiration is not a large enough word. I also have a soft spot (like like like!) for Cocoa Butter.

• 1Yay!
Reactions: OrinB

Cristiano

Full Frontal Nerdity
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Very sad. This show has been so touching, entertaining, funny and very meaningful, all in one. What a shame.
I'm not sure what an entire second season would have looked like - but I do wish they had provided a bit more closure.

• 2Agree
Reactions: OrinB and Myradyl Muse