After 16 Years, Why Are Ground Textures Still So Shitty?

Cristiano

I AM BABY GROOT
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
As I was exploring the new Linden continent (Bellisaria?), I noticed that while the landscapes were nice, they still had the same crap ground texture we've had forever. Why have ground textures never been improved? They are always just a low res mess.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
I think textures in SL are limited to 1024x1024, which is more than sharp enough for prims up to 10m x 10m, but when applied to the 256m x 256m ground, it is stretched way the hell out, and it looks like that. LL needs to figure out a way to increase maximum texture size, but only for ground textures. Good luck with that though.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
You can tile, and then cover with a semi-transparent light & shade map to reduce the visual effect of the tiling.

EDIT AFTER TRYING: Nope, I was wrong. They suck, and they can't be rescued. You'll have to go for mesh lawns I guess.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Tiffy Vella
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I always wondered why ground looks so awful. Mystery solved!

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
You can tile, and then cover with a semi-transparent light & shade map to reduce the visual effect of the tiling.

EDIT AFTER TRYING: Nope, I was wrong. They suck, and they can't be rescued. You'll have to go for mesh lawns I guess.
I just use lots of grass from either Heart Garden or Kidd Grass.

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
Well damn, you had to make me look at my own yards. (Starts rummaging through his trashed out inventory for the land mapper and grass textures)
And just for reference it's Bellisseria, unless Patch Linden has managed to confuse himself as well as the rest of us.

Romana

SL Rez
I just use lots of grass from either Heart Garden or Kidd Grass.
I'll have to check those out when I'm back in-world. I've been going nuts trying to terraforming my added land and make it look decent. Grass won't fix the dpots that won't level, but it'll make them look better.

Clara D.

FOR PRESIDENT 2020!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
I'll have to check those out when I'm back in-world. I've been going nuts trying to terraforming my added land and make it look decent. Grass won't fix the dpots that won't level, but it'll make them look better.
They sell small strips and other bits and bobs to fill in oddness

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Romana

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
I bought the Land Map tool years ago and it's one of the best SL products ever. I hate the default mainland textures so much, and Land Map has helped me live on the mainland without tearing my avatar's eyes out.

Easy set-up and you can quickly cover your parcel with any ground textures you want. When I was spending more time in SL, I would change mine for the seasons, going from green grass to fall leaves and then snow.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/LandMap-Change-your-ground-texture-without-land-powers/236734

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Did I miss something? Given that the ground textures are procedurally mixed in the client based on altitude in the first place, why *can't* Linden Lab tile them (or use smaller tiles) to get a higher resolution texture?

• 1Like
Reactions: Ziggy Starsmith

OrinB

I'm here...
SL Rez
Joined SLU
23 Sept 2009
SLU Posts
The land map only uses 512tileable textures. They don't just lay them out to fill the space, they're tiled and overlaid on the fly to make the different levels work with different textures. It's still pretty hit and miss, and if the scale of the grass or terrain in your texture is out it will always look wrong.

There are quite a few terrain texture makers out there - studio skye, botanical and HPMD to name another few not already mentioned. I've also tried to scale these textures myself and re-upload them to SL so the texture is slightly smaller over the ground. It works to a certain extent, but they can still look pretty ropey.

Make sure you have terrain detail on high in your graphics settings and if you see steep areas of texture (which look really bad as the terrain map is stretched to cover them) then by turning on anisotropic filtering in your graphics hardware settings, you'll see an improvement.

Again, all of this is really just polishing a turd! It does need a good overhaul.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
My lot is in the misery that is that blue gray coral texture. Bleccch. I need to figure out one of those replacement products because even either sand or rock would be better.

Aki

SL Rez
Seems like an easy enough fix, they could add a hi-res texture option, and make the client DTRT if it's there, nothing breaks, and bob's your uncle.

If they cared.
File a JIRA and/or visit the content creation user group meetings and express your opinion there! New developments have been in the works for ongoing for many, many years and while their team is admittedly small, concerns brought up via the weekly meetings often at least get feedback if not encouragement for submission as a feature request. It's not that they don't care - there is just not that many resources to go around, so you need to catch them at the right time and be persistent.

If you care.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Aki

SL Rez
They need to be made aware of how important new things are to the user base otherwise nothing gets added. They also need to be made aware of how (X) function is working (well, badly, needs Y changed) by the userbase, so providing clear and objective feedback is important.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
If you care.
It took ages to get my LSL fix for negative numbers to be accepted, and I provided code. And that was my *good* experience. They strung me along from 2006 to 2019 with promises about llTeleportAgent, with multiple crippled and nerfed implementations, and finally tied it in to the apalling "experience" system. Pardon me if caring isn't enough any more.

Aki

SL Rez
It took ages to get my LSL fix for negative numbers to be accepted, and I provided code. And that was my *good* experience. They strung me along from 2006 to 2019 with promises about llTeleportAgent, with multiple crippled and nerfed implementations, and finally tied it in to the apalling "experience" system. Pardon me if caring isn't enough any more.
Many of us just like you have gone through the same. There are many things I've wanted for ages that have been 'maybes' or 'currently outside of scope'. That's just how things go. We can ask but there is always the potential for the the answer to be 'no'.

Out of curiosity, what do you find about Experiences to be 'apalling'? We use it heavily with some of our work projects and it's served us very well.