Account Changes (LL Blog)

Couldbe Yue

Syncing with reality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-16-2008
SLU Posts
Tilla? By the sound of it, you'll be given a tilla account whether you want it or not and then if you don't use it each year they'll slug you a fee..
Smells like desperation to me

NeoBokrug Elytis

Thread Reaper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Man, I wish people had reading comprehension. Everyone seems to be echoing each others worst fear.

If your account is INACTIVE FOR A YEAR, you will be charged a fee. However, they'll send you an email before that. I hate to make assumptions, but I am going to assume it's for a fiat currency of that account, and not actual L$.

Additionally, just to nip this in the bud: As per the blog post, you only need to provide ID if you're cashing out.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
I've been wondering what that was for quite some time.

Couldbe Yue

Syncing with reality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-16-2008
SLU Posts
Man, I wish people had reading comprehension. Everyone seems to be echoing each others worst fear.

If your account is INACTIVE FOR A YEAR, you will be charged a fee. However, they'll send you an email before that. I hate to make assumptions, but I am going to assume it's for a fiat currency of that account, and not actual L$.

Additionally, just to nip this in the bud: As per the blog post, you only need to provide ID if you're cashing out.
My reading was that you need to agree the tos and then they'll create you an account. From what i read, there was no way to stop the creation of the tilla if you would never use it. Thus if you don't cash out st all, after a year you'll be hit with a fee.
It may be it read that dormant accounts are the ones who get the fee but if the account is dormant it just means the account will rack up a debt that will never be paid. Which doesn't make sense.
And it is only for usd, not lindens.

• 2Agree
Reactions: Cristalle and Han Held

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I was wondering what happens with the dead or dormant free accounts. Do they get fees applied or does that only happen if you've agreed to the new TOS?

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts

That doesn't change a heck of a lot.
I have a ton of alts.
If each one of them is assigned a mandatory Tilia account, then I have to make a point of logging in each one, or risk getting charged a fee for NOT using their service.

Fuck that -right in the damned ear.
And fuck Linden Lab as well -unless there's changes July 31st is my last day on the platform.

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I was wondering what happens with the dead or dormant free accounts. Do they get fees applied or does that only happen if you've agreed to the new TOS?
I'm assuming that if you don't sign in with them after July 31st you won't get a fee.
I could always be wrong, though.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
On further reading I saw this:

If you have funds in your Stored Value Balance and have not made any transfers to or from or otherwise accessed your Stored Value Balance for a period of twelve (12) months, your Stored Value Balance will be deemed an “Inactive Account.” Other forms of access besides a transfer include, for example, a balance inquiry or accessing your Account. Unless prohibited by applicable law, we reserve the right to deduct from any Stored Value Balance that is an Inactive Account a fee in the amount of the lower of (i) the amount set forth in our Fee Schedule or (ii) the balance of funds in the Inactive Account (the “Inactivity Fee”). The Inactivity Fee will be charged each successive month for as long as the Stored Value Balance is an Inactive Account.
so I think "free" accounts should be safe.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Han Held

Wesleytron

Joined SLU
08-11-2014
SLU Posts
if the account is dormant it just means the account will rack up a debt that will never be paid.
No it won't. If there are no USD in your account, then there will be no fee charged. The fee is only applied if you have USD sitting in your account and haven't done anything with it for a year. No doubt it will keep taking the fee until some such time there are no USD left in your account.

If each one of them is assigned a mandatory Tilia account, then I have to make a point of logging in each one, or risk getting charged a fee for NOT using their service.
Only if you've got USD associated with those accounts that you are neither never spending or cashing out. Otherwise you don't have to worry about them.

Jopsy Pendragon

Just another pedestrian on the interstate.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
... sigh. Well, I understand why things are going this way... but what if I never fully cash out and only sell off L$ to offset my land use fees?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Oy, this is all making my head ache. All the recent changes from LL are making me pay attention to details that I just don't want to even think about any more. I would have taken them in my stride a few years ago, now I bitterly resent every second I have to spend figuring out whether or not this will substantially affect me (mostly not).

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
... sigh. Well, I understand why things are going this way... but what if I never fully cash out and only sell off L$ to offset my land use fees?
This is basically my question. I never cash out but do sell L$ to cover my yearly sub.

Kamilah Hauptmann

This Reality Blows
This is basically my question. I never cash out but do sell L$ to cover my yearly sub.
More answers here: Tilia takes over

It'll be a firehose thread to watch.

And I just love the idea of handing info over to a country where protections a foreigner can expect shift with the wind. :)

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Jupiter

Still under construction
Joined SLU
07-05-2010
SLU Posts
My understanding is that this appears to only affect residents that cash out. But then this made me wonder:

A Tilia Account associated with your Second Life Account will automatically be created for you and you will not need a separate username or password to access your Tilia Account.
So, if I don't have a history of cashing out and I never intend to, why would a Tilia account be automatically associated my SL account? Another resident pointed out in the officials forums that the purchase of lindens is already powered by Tilia and has been or some time. That suggests my SL account is already associated with a Tilia account.

This article says that it's a move to comply with tightened United States regulations set up to combat fraud, laundering and terrorism financing. And although it's uncomfortable to have to submit personal documents to LL, it probably won't affect most residents in any major way. To me, it just has that Big Brother air to it and I really wish LL would learn to communicate better with the residents.

NeoBokrug Elytis

Thread Reaper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
~ YOU ONLY NEED TO PROVIDE ID - IF YOU TRANSFER MONEY OUT OF SL ~

If you carry a monetary balance you don't need to provide anything; but you might be subject to the "Log in once a year or we take some money" fee. LL isn't going to take L$ out of your L$ balance. If you logically think about it, the L$ is a virtual token that has no value to Linden Lab since they can just make or delete more as needed. There's no benefit for them to take your L$ as a fee. They only want actual monetary currency.

Everyone is already using Tilia, and has been for (more than?) a year now. I think Tilia has technically been in existence since 2014.

Honestly this opens up a lot of doors for LL as a registered Money Services Business. They can skip paypal all together, act as a bank, and convert their own payments from any currency. LL was already pretty much fronting all the liabilities without any of the benefits of being an MSB since day one. So it really makes sense for it to be official now.

I absolutely agree that LL needs to word things better. The announcement is to the point but organized poorly. In the "What's Changing?" section, I would have suggested the following changes:
  • Move Paragraph one (TOS) to be second to last, or last -- because it's the effect of the changes listed.
  • Move Paragraph two to be first, since it is what REALLY affects people most.
  • Change Paragraph two to be more clear (get rid of the "ifs", and state what will happen and why):
When you process credit, we will need... (id block) ... Tilia and Linden Lab needs this information in order to stay compliant with regulatory requirements. You may be required to provide additional ...

sldenizen

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Thanks for all of the discusion. I got an email from LL about the new fee for credit processing, but nothing about the ID requirement. I never cash out, but I do buy things and buy lindens and check my balance, so I guess I'm OK.

PS I'm sure everyone realizes that Tilia is the genus name for the various species of linden tree.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
If you do this regularly then I take it you'll never be considered inactive, so no fee.

Pat McGroin

The Inactivity Fee will be charged each successive month for as long as the Stored Value Balance is an Inactive Account.
Each Month??!!!!!! So LL slowly suck you dry if you don't use the account? Fuck...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Couldbe Yue