A video of some guys pretty accurate thoughts.

Textured Surface

I ran across this video on reddit today and wanted to share it. It's about VRChat, but I think it's more than that. It's a pretty accurate trip down memory lane. A lot of us here are older and will remember what he is talking about. Anyway, it was a trip down memory lane for me and kind of got me nostalgic. Please note, that I am not advocating VRChat or any other virtual worlds. I've spent a grand total of an hour in VRChat, and zero hours in any other VR-World. I just think he brings up salient points.

Last edited:

bubblesort

I ran across this video on reddit today and wanted to share it. It's about VRChat, but I think it's more than that. It's a pretty accurate trip down memory lane. A lot of us here are older and will remember what he is talking about. Anyway, it was a trip down memory lane for me and kind of got me nostalgic. Please note, that I am not advocating VRChat or any other virtual worlds. I've spent a grand total of an hour in VRChat, and zero hours in any other VR-World. I just think he brings up salient points.
I love this video. One of the cool things about Active Worlds is things never get deleted there. I can log in there and still hang out in places I built 20 years ago. It just feels timeless.

I've been thinking along the same lines as this guy for a while now. Personally, I think monetization ruined online interaction. Everybody wants more eyeballs, because more eyeballs lead to money, and careers, and all that stuff, but the things you do to get more eyeballs are super lame. I think the turning point, when this ridiculous ambition for eyeballs really took over the internet, was when YouTube started their partner program. Once that kicked off, this monetization mentality as a way of being on the internet just seemed to take over everything, and we still haven't really escaped it. Everybody knows what we aren't allowed to discuss if we want to have reach on YouTube, or Facebook, or Twitter, or even Twitch. No sex, no corona, no protests, no death, and no conspiracies, because 'the advertisers' don't like it, or 'the algorithm' does not like it, or whatever bullshit the people running the show give for the rules being the way they are this week. That's on top of people generally being fake in order to gain popularity, like high school cliques. The dark web could have been a safe haven from all of this, but cryptocurrencies took hold there too early, and it became a massive black market, with people monetizing all manner of terrible things, rather than a place to express.

So I think monetization is the root of the problem, but I don't mean the way our data is monetized. I mean the problem is that we are motivated to constantly monetize.

How do we fix it? I have no idea. Why would people give up the chance to monetize? The monetization game is fun! Even if only 0.00001% ever make enough money to live off of online content, people still want to try to get that. Plus, hypothetically, if you could wave a magic wand and end all ads, spam, and monetization of the internet without completely destroying the infrastructure... how are you going to tell somebody in a dead end job they hate, that their dream to be a Twitch celebrity, that they have been working towards for years, isn't going to happen any more? What would make people give that up? Maybe if they were financially secure enough to not care about the advertiser money? I don't know how to do that. I think once monetization hits a medium, it irreversibly takes over, and the genie is out of the bottle.

Maybe if we were anonymous again, like we were in the old bulletin board system or usenet days? I mean, how do you pay an account name that isn't attached to a real person? IDK... I don't have any answers.

I like places like VVO because we aren't really monetized here. Some people here donate to keep VVO running, which is awesome! Nobody here is really trying to make money from their popularity, though. We're all just hanging out.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
What you are looking for isn't the Dark web but the Indieweb. Though it's not very popular. There are people building tools though that sort of, let self hosted, independent blogs/etc, work more like a social network with likes and shares and call backs and whatnot.

• 1Like
Reactions: bubblesort