A Couple of RLV Questions

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
So, I have two questions. More or less unrelated.

First, I want to strip everything that is not a HUD. If I do
llOwnerSay("@detach=force");

It works, but it strips HUDs, including the attached controlling HUD. So instead I want to strip everything that isn't a HUD.

I have this code, but it doesn't seem to work. I have read the HOW but it's not super clear on attach points. Do I need the colon :)chest) Do I need an attached item to remove? One thing suggested " : AttachPoint | Attachment "

llOwnerSay("@detach[:chest]=force");
llOwnerSay("@detach[:skull]=force");
llOwnerSay("@detach[:right shoulder]=force");
llOwnerSay("@detach[:left shoulder]=force");
llOwnerSay("@detach[:right hand]=force");
llOwnerSay("@detach[:left hand]=force");
llOwnerSay("@detach[:right foot]=force");
etc etc etc along down a list of attach points....

Second Question. I thought RLV had a "force follow" command of some kind but I have not seen it, maybe I missed it, maybe I didn't get there yet. Basically, the Avatar should follow another Avatar. Maybe this doesn't even need RLV. The following avatar has the UUID of the avatar they are going to follow. I've already worked out that exchange of information between two HUDs.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

It works, but it strips HUDs, including the attached controlling HUD. So instead I want to strip everything that isn't a HUD.

I have this code, but it doesn't seem to work. I have read the HOW but it's not super clear on attach points. Do I need the colon :)chest) Do I need an attached item to remove? One thing suggested " : AttachPoint | Attachment "

Second Question. I thought RLV had a "force follow" command of some kind but I have not seen it, maybe I missed it, maybe I didn't get there yet. Basically, the Avatar should follow another Avatar. Maybe this doesn't even need RLV. The following avatar has the UUID of the avatar they are going to follow. I've already worked out that exchange of information between two HUDs.
First question: you don't need the square brackets -- as the Wiki explains

Notation convention: Parameters in [square brackets] are optional parameters that can be omitted. The pipe | and slash / signs separate options from which one must be used. <angle brackets> enclose parameters that are mandatory.
So

llOwnerSay("@detach:skull=force");

should do it.

Second Question: no, it doesn't. To make someone follow you, you need to attach something to them (e.g. a collar) and then call llMoveToTarget to make them follow you.

The thing about RLV, though (apart from the fact you can lock the collar/hud/whatever to your victim) is that you can use @setrot to keep your follower more or less facing in the right direction to follow you rather than simply being dragged along any old how.

It's not terribly accurate but the follower should end up looking in your general direction, at least.

You might find this example, by Kira Komarov, worth looking at -- it's a basic collar that does what you want, and it's considerably easier to read and understand than the Open Collar code, which drives me nuts following link messages all the way round the modular houses.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Noodles

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
I have an RLV question myself - is there any way to interact with it through a chat command, and perhaps in turn a gesture, to make it put on or take something off? I'm using Firestorm and there are sometimes attachments I want to easily force on without having to go into favorite attachments and click on them.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I have an RLV question myself - is there any way to interact with it through a chat command, and perhaps in turn a gesture, to make it put on or take something off? I'm using Firestorm and there are sometimes attachments I want to easily force on without having to go into favorite attachments and click on them.
Yes, I wrote a menu script to attach and detach stuff from my teddy bear avatar and you should be able to adapt it for your own attachments. We can get together sometime for a demo and getting you sorted out.

HOWEVER, you should also look at the wardrobe system a lot of people are using. It's web based and you can give other people access, it's more developed (clothes as well as attachments) and is quite affordable and customizeable. I don't have a URL but it should be findable by searching for wardrobe on SL Marketplace.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Caete

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
First question: you don't need the square brackets -- as the Wiki explains

So

llOwnerSay("@detach:skull=force");

should do it.

Second Question: no, it doesn't. To make someone follow you, you need to attach something to them (e.g. a collar) and then call llMoveToTarget to make them follow you.

The thing about RLV, though (apart from the fact you can lock the collar/hud/whatever to your victim) is that you can use @setrot to keep your follower more or less facing in the right direction to follow you rather than simply being dragged along any old how.

It's not terribly accurate but the follower should end up looking in your general direction, at least.

You might find this example, by Kira Komarov, worth looking at -- it's a basic collar that does what you want, and it's considerably easier to read and understand than the Open Collar code, which drives me nuts following link messages all the way round the modular houses.

Sincw follower scripts use a timer on a fairly fast refresh, the follower ends up automatically facing towards the followed.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤

Many RLV functions have helper functions allowing you to fine tune a restriction to exclude certain people, attachment points, etc from that restriction, and if not you can set up a blacklist (though I don't know how granular the blacklist is).

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Sincw follower scripts use a timer on a fairly fast refresh, the follower ends up automatically facing towards the followed.
But @setrot isn't particularly accurate, or at least not in my experience. It works well enough to make the follower look in the general direction they're going but it's nowhere near sufficiently accurate to line up a couple for a hug or kiss, or at least that's what I've found.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
But @setrot isn't particularly accurate, or at least not in my experience. It works well enough to make the follower look in the general direction they're going but it's nowhere near sufficiently accurate to line up a couple for a hug or kiss, or at least that's what I've found.
Yeah, you need something else like pose prims or vehicles for fussy work, but IIRC the OP was asking about a follow, and the standard follower implementation is close enough since the follower autoturns to follow.

Send me an IM in SL and I'll give you some shoes I made with a follow script (full perm).

• 1Like
Reactions: Noodles

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
It also sometimes bugs the camera so it's wobbling as it tries to orient itself.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
For the purposes of this project, the rotation direction doesn't need to be accurate. The general gist is, one avatar becomes attached but invisible to another avatar, and follows them around, for both movement and teleporting.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
For the purposes of this project, the rotation direction doesn't need to be accurate. The general gist is, one avatar becomes attached but invisible to another avatar, and follows them around, for both movement and teleporting.
In that case, something based on the moveTo function in the Quick Collar script I referenced above is a good example of how to use it.

I simply mentioned @setrot's limitations because reading and setting the rotation of an avatar who isn't seated (or in mouselook) has always been problematic and it's maybe worth knowing that, while the call is certainly accurate enough for a follower/collar, it's not so useful for something requiring considerably greater precision.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I found a follower script online. I had to adapt it a bit so it would activate when needed (from within another controller script), instead of when it was called with text. I also had to change a bit to pull the target UUID from the description field. Mostly because it was looking for a name as input, ie "Ramen Jedburgh", but the only thing I could get using LSL commands was either "Noodles" (display name) or "ramen.jedburgh" (username).