A brief introduction to Antipopes

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Absolutely freaking on point with a very specific current event.

Over the past few weeks I have had numerous people ask me about Antipopes. Can’t think why. I am joking, of course. People are interested in Antipopes because of the state of American politics, and the fact the medieval history is just way way to relevant anymore. You may or may not have noticed that Trump is currently on some next level nonsense and refusing to acknowledge that he has lost an election, essentially setting himself up to be an Anti-President, if you will. As a result, this week I thought I would do a brief introduction to Antipopes as a concept so that you, too, can make pithy historical bonne-motes in political conversations as the world burns around us.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
If a pope and an antipope meet, do they annihilate each other in a shower of gamma rays?

The Palais des Papes in Avignon is the largest gothic palace in Europe at 15,000 sq meters of floor space (160,000 sq feet or 4 acres). It's so goth that the man who started building it, Pope Clement V, was originally named Gascon Bertrand de Goth.

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
Absolutely freaking on point with a very specific current event.

Well, read the article. Boiling everything down: if you are a rich asshole, you tend to get your way, even if you had a lessor claim. Well, that's nice to know when thinking about the Trump situation, eh?