5 O’Clock Somewhere

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
So no secret I enjoy the occasional cocktail, wine or spirit although I’ve always been a cheap drunk with a low tolerance for alcohol so it’s rarely a significant amount.
Last Summer I found myself drinking mainly Lynchburg Lemonades or Moscow Mules on those days I wanted a cocktail enough to put in effort. My usual go to is Mike’s Hard Black Cherry Lemonade out of a can though lol.

In restaurants I almost always order Caesars because I prefer a savoury drink with my meal instead of sweet.

Now that it’s winter I’ve transitioned to liqueurs in coffee or hot chocolate mainly.

I’m in a rut, looking for ideas, or just to see if others have these patterns.

I realize I’m supposed to like beer, and I wish I did because the craft beer scene is hot locally and looks like a fun community to be part of, but if you see me with a beer it’s probably because I’m DD or don’t feel like drinking and want people to stop asking why I’m not drinking. I can nurse the same beer for 9 hours then dump it still more than half full.

Last edited:

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
A decade back I had this job for about 18 months that I really liked. One of the non-work reasons I liked it was, it put this great Asian market in my homeward path. Another was, as a company we went out for lunches and dinners, as a group, quite a bit. And with the meals there were drinks.

And sometimes there were no meals.

Also, there were a couple of those martini bars near our office, and we hit them more than a few times. I don't know my drinks but I'm always willing to experiment. The problem is, since I don't know my drinks I can't recall a single name for any that I liked. But I do know I liked quite a few of them.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Well, Fancy Shmancy Panky, drinking cocktails... 🍹

During these exciting times (☹) I’ve been sticking to beer and wine. I don’t know if my neighbours think I’m an alcoholic, but they keep gifting me bottles for things like shovelling snow, etc. Drinking alone, one or two glasses is pretty much my limit. After that, I conk out. *snore* I did also get a cheesecake... double conk after that.

I miss get-togethers for 5 à 7’s/apéros. Last cocktail I made myself were daiquiris last-last Christmas for everyone. They were terrible, ha. We drank them anyway...

Like you, I prefer savory to sweet in general and love Bloody Caesars.I hear about pickle juice drinks but have never tried them. Something to consider doing with the leftover juice after pickles have all been eaten.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I'm more a straight sort - tullamore dew or wine. About to try Reisling to see if I like it, but if not, back to some sort of red wine.

• 1Like
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
My favorite cocktail is the Negroni
  • 1 ounce sweet vermouth
  • 1 ounce Campari
  • 1 ounce Gin or Vodka (traditional is made with Gin but I'm not fond of Gin unless it's really a good brand so I often use Vodka). Recently someone told me to try this with Orange Vodka so if I can find that in a liquor store I'll pick it up and make it that way just to see. I can always use orange vodka in a screw driver anyway.
  • Garnish: with an orange slice
Also love the Aperol Spritz
  • 3 ounces Aperol - Aperol is better in this cocktail Aperol has a bright orange taste with herbal and a touch of vanilla which I don't taste in Campari even though they are similar.
  • 3 ounces Prosecco - an inexpensive Italian sparkling wine similar to Spanish Cava or French Champagne. I recommend choosing a dry (brut) Prosecco so the drink isn't too syrupy or sweet.
  • 1 ounce Club soda (basically just a splash) Any unflavored sparkling water will work.
  • Garnish: with an orange slice
In the summertime I LOVE a Bellini which is just 1/4 Prosecco and 1/2 peach purée and is SO good and refreshing.

Also, give me a Manhattan any day

• 2 ounces bourbon (I only use bourbon because I don't care for Whiskey or Rye)
  • 1 ounce sweet vermouth
  • 2 dashes Angostura bitters
  • 1 dash orange bitters
  • Garnish: brandied or maraschino cherry
I make my Manhattan dirty with a bit of the cherry juice .

I won't turn down a good Martini either but I like them made with Vodka, dirty, dry and with an olive (or two).

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
If I have a cocktail, it's probably a vodka gimlet (vodka and lime syrup). Occasionally a mojito.

The craft beer scene is now overrun with IPAs. An IPA is what you make when you don't understand how hops work. I prefer darker, malty beers. Stouts, porters, and red/brown ales.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Frosty💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts
As i've said before, pineapple rum, cherry coke and lime.

Also another is coconut rum, rumchata, chocolate syrup and milk to thin it out to your taste (whole milk, not 2%) ADD AMARETTO IF YOU ARE A CHAMPION. MIX WITH ICE.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I had a really bad experience with beer in my younger years, and to this day, even the smell of beer makes me want to hurl. I'm strictly a wine and liquor girl. I love sipping whiskey or rum on the rocks.
Like you, I prefer savory to sweet in general and love Bloody Caesars.I hear about pickle juice drinks but have never tried them. Something to consider doing with the leftover juice after pickles have all been eaten.
Okay, that actually has me intrigued. If you, or anyone here, have recipes, please share! I have a pretty ready supply of pickle juice I'd love to make into something with a little kick!