cable 3 hours, 5 minutes to Doctor Who

Sep 19, 2018
a sunburnt country
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
So - again - like with Star Trek Discovery, and Star Wars: the last Jedi the critics love it, and the audience just hates it, already over 1590 votes are in. Many votes are by the way just 1/2 star, which Rotten Tomatoes seems to do not take into the measurement.
A very specific, very vocal subsection of the audience claims to hate it. Considering that, as Chav points out, the series has rated well across the board, you might want to think about the selection bias involved with polling on websites like Rotten Tomatoes. Specifically, the way in which brigade voting skews results. Tbh, I'm surprised this didn't occur to you. Over in the Brexit thread, you seem very concerned about the issues of selection bias in online only polling.

ps: the rumour about Whittaker and Chiball leaving has already been debunked.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
Sep 20, 2018
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Since season 11 is done by now, time to look at its performance, and - tadaaaah - here it is at Rotten Romatoes:

So - again - like with Star Trek Discovery, and Star Wars: the last Jedi the critics love it, and the audience just hates it, already over 1590 votes are in. Many votes are by the way just 1/2 star, which Rotten Tomatoes seems to do not take into the measurement.

The viewers mostly hate the lack of emotional range displayed in Jodie Whittakers acting, her voice, and generally now that in their view dumb, white male became a thing; there are no intelligent any more, also lack of interesting stories, most are bland, and that 6 of 10 episodes just played on Earth anyway, which is being considered a lackluster for a Scifi show by many.

Anyway, there's already the rumor being spread that Whittaker and the showrunner are going to quit after the next season. I guess the core audience of Doctor Who won't mind, but in fact instead celebrate this.

Here's a typical comment (1/2 stars) at Rotten Tomatoes about the show; people in the lower area always more or less complain about this:

"I love Dr. Who up until now. The writers this season are far far more concerned with pushing a political agenda than writing good scifi. Yes I get it all white men are evil and oppress everyone and everything. Anyone who would ever use a knife for anything is stupid. Single dads are bad. Even overlooking political correctness overload its just bad. So you have a companion that is a police women. well only for one episode after which that aspect is completely forgotten. The other two companions are probably the bright spot if there is one in the whole thing. they have some personality and character. As for Jodie its seems like she is just coasting through. Its like every episode she is trying to I loved her in channel a different doctor. broad church. I think a women doctor is actually an interesting twist that could have all sorts of interesting stories. I compare this to what Ryan Johnson did to Star Wars. Lets get back to good scifi with a good story that is mysterious, fun, exciting and good escapism. A good writer that is trying to make a point does it subtly as part of the story not in your face story written around the political message."
ROFL!!!!!!

You do realize most people who did not like this series just did not like a female doctor, right? The BBC could have gotten any female actor and they would have given low scores. Not only that, quite a few have not been even watching Doctor Who for years (that is if they ever did) so are not part of the current fanbase.

That said, there are problems, but pretty much all are directly from Chibnal. It is no accident that the eps people most loved this year were not written by him. Jodie can be a great Doctor but he was unwilling to do so (in fact most of his stories were written for a generic doctor before she was even cast, he never went back to flesh them out for her style). I directly blame him that we never got the moment that defined Jodie's doctor this year.

Sep 26, 2018
I am just stating what is going on at Rotten Tomatoes - nothing more, nothing less. Personally I am very fine with a female doctor; it is only a pity it took them so long until they cast one.

Sep 21, 2018
Myf is correct. What you're seeing on Rotten Tomatoes, same as The Last Jedi, is a "campaign" by a subset who want to be gatekeepers for everyone else and really want people to think that all the fans think what they do, or should. It's easy to review-bomb; if you follow the show's hashtags on Twitter you see that these folks are mocked more often than not.
Kara hit the nail on the head about the writing, and far more people see that. They just don't all rush to Rottenn Tomatoes to make war. We don't feed the trolls.
Oh to the important questions: why is there still no TARDIS emoji on my iPad?

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I am just stating what is going on at Rotten Tomatoes - nothing more, nothing less. Personally I am very fine with a female doctor; it is only a pity it took them so long until they cast one.
Rotten Tomatoes is not always a good guide. Sometimes I agree with it on films, sometimes not. I have never used it as the arbiter of what to watch. The closest was something that already had meh reviews so I decided to wait until the download went on sale.

Khamon

Irish Harper
Sep 23, 2018
Alabama
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Watching the holiday special for the first time ever. And saw the witch hunting episode in the rewind. Oh and watched a Christmas special I didn’t know existed unril yesterday.

Sep 21, 2018
Scotland
Joined SLU
July 2007
SLU Posts
It really annoys me that the one time the Doctor is straightforwardly nice and surprisingly passive is when she's a woman. Let her be a bit arrogant! Let her have a dark side!

Sep 21, 2018
Well, perhaps we'll see more of that next session (too bad we have to wait so long).
The whole "Timeless Child" thing hasn't been dealt with, though it's probably even money as to whether it ever will be.

Khamon

Irish Harper
Sep 23, 2018
Alabama
SL Rez
Joined SLU
She can be a bit more aggressive maybe, though I appreciate the idea of giving everyone every possible chance to “repent,” but The Unwitting Warrior Dark Side Loaner of Absolute Destruction wore through during Tennet’s tenure, then continued on and on and on. I’m hoping they encounter the cloned daughter next season. It’ll be a whole new dynamic with a female Doctor and the best female companion we’ve seen since Martha Jones.

Sep 21, 2018
Yes, Jenny definitely should return. Chibs really needs to get over the no previous monsters or companions thing. Perhaps the positive response to the Dalek will help with that.

Kara Spengler

Sep 20, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
It really annoys me that the one time the Doctor is straightforwardly nice and surprisingly passive is when she's a woman. Let her be a bit arrogant! Let her have a dark side!
Chibnal is probably trying to make her noncontroversial. Of course the people that want to complain will anyway.

At the beginning of the season, even though it got delayed, it was written for a generic doctor because she had not been cast. Why he did not go back and tweak the scripts after she was cast is anyone's guess though.

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
Sep 20, 2018
20 Minutes into the future
SL Rez