2022 Midterm Elections

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I already know who I'm voting against.... I believe Rubio is up again in '22 and of course my worse than worthless congresscritter needs to go. And I'd love to flip our state government blue in my lifetime... I mean, when we're less blue than Georgia...

• 1Like
Reactions: Archer

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I have my nemesis for 2021.

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
"Don't tell me what to do, bro!" is how America got Trump.

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Dan Hopkins on FiveThirtyEight (comment posted somewhere on this page) bad news, good news (?):

One of the clearest regularities in American politics is that the party holding the presidency loses votes during the midterm.
Biden may well enter the presidency without controlling both branches of Congress, and so become the first president since the first President Bush to face divided government from his first day in office. That may limit his legislative agenda — and also the backlash it may generate.
So if Biden doesn't do much, that's a good thing?

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
It's going to take a lot of hustle. Over and over again we've seen around the world governments coming into power into a giant shit show left behind by the former kleptocrats only to get blamed for everything by the electorate. Obama economy, my ass.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
Biden's going to be too busy cleaning up the damage for the first two years, and he may get some help from the Republicans who are never Trumpers. Assuming the Supreme court doesn't rig the election, of course.
first it would need to get there and judges so far are going 'Really?! Get the f out of my court and stop wasting my time'

• 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Richard Shelby's Senate seat is up in 2022. He was elected as a Democrat twice but then switched parties and has been elected the last few terms as a Republican. It's unlikely that he'll run again so there may be an opening to elect a Democrat. Our cities tend to vote Republican while the rural Black Belt areas lean to Democrats. There are loads of potential candidates already courting the public which means a probable runoff. That boils down to convincing people to show up again when they've "already voted" for their candidate and don't understand all these duplicated political machinations.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
Dan Hopkins on FiveThirtyEight (comment posted somewhere on this page) bad news, good news (?):

So if Biden doesn't do much, that's a good thing?
Honestly, I don't think those "conventional wisdoms" hold much truth nowadays. They feel more like superstitions to me.

You're probably better off assessing the current situation and working out a plan using that as a starting point.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Old news.

• 1Disagree
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
New focus.

According to one of my closest friends, a middle-aged white women, living in a middle-class suburb in Ohio, registered as unaffiliated, she was bombarded with election spam from the Republicans but hardly heard from the Democrats in this election (not that she minded, having voted for Biden and Harris days after the polls opened last month).

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
According to one of my closest friends, a middle-aged white women, living in a middle-class suburb in Ohio, registered as unaffiliated, she was bombarded with election spam from the Republicans but hardly heard from the Democrats in this election (not that she minded, having voted for Biden and Harris days after the polls opened last month).
I believe Ohio was written off by the Dems early due to its high Trumpism quotient. To be honest, it was a winning strategy. The cash they pumped into other places where they might win instead worked out. Its not ideal, but it saved the world - literally.