2020 U.S. Presidential elections

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Pistols at 10 paces.

This is an interesting read, I was not aware of what they did in the event of a electoral college tie. Also, based on this, it looks like the house could elect a Democrat President and the senate could elect a Republican Vice President. It's happened in states before with the Governor and Lieutenant Governor but I was not aware that it could happen with the President/Vice President in a federal election.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

danielravennest

SLU Posts
In the further adventures of the lawyers that couldn't shoot straight:

An affidavit filed by President Trump’s legal team intended to prove voter fraud in Michigan apparently used data taken from counties in Minnesota, the latest in a series of embarrassing missteps that have made Mr. Trump’s uphill legal fight even steeper.
Back in the real world, states are starting to certify their elections, including Georgia just now. At this point 11 states are done accounting for 98 electoral votes. Battleground states Arizona, Michigan, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin are due to finish between Nov 23rd & Dec 1st. All states are supposed to finish by Dec 8th, but some may be a bit late. The Electoral College casts their ballots on Dec 14th, but once enough state elections are certified, you will know who will win for certain.

GSA Administrator Murphy is running out of time to do her job. Two House committees are now demanding an explanation why she hasn't started the official transition. None of Trump's legal cases have had any effect and no evidence of widespread problems have been presented.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
but once enough state elections are certified, you will know who will win for certain.
I already know for certain who will win. The question is, will someone, despite the level of incompetence in his actions, be able to steal that win from him?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I already know for certain who will win. The question is, will someone, despite the level of incompetence in his actions, be able to steal that win from him?
Let me rephrase that. The GSA Administrator would no longer have any basis to claim the election is still uncertain. She doesn't really have any basis now, but can still claim a recount or court challenge *might* affect the results, however small the chance.

My personal opinion is every day of delay in getting the Biden administration up to speed on the pandemic is a couple of thousand more people dead. So even if the odds were 50/50 on him winning, you are only risking a few million in expenses, some temporary office space, and access to officials and background checks for a month or so until a result was final. If it went the other way and Trump won, he hasn't lost anything, because he hasn't *done* anything for months about the pandemic. Hell, he's made it worse in multiple ways.

Given the odds are 99.9%+, we are well past the point she should have signed off on it.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
This is just someone's thought experiment, but in theory, one could win just 11 counties in the country and win the presidency.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Lawyer guy in a very long thread about stuff:

Good bathroom reading, calm y'all's nerves a bit.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
This worries me as well. Shoving everyone who is pro-democratic into one tent just may not be feasible in the long-term, as in beyond January and the inauguration of Biden. Lincoln Project Republicans are still Republicans, they still have the same mindset that got us into this mess in the first place. I can't abide their small-c conservatism and I don't want them pouring into the Democratic party and skewing us even farther right of where we are now, which is too damn far to the right as it is.

If the Republican party becomes the vitriolic Far Right (nearly there now), bleeding everyone who isn't a nutjob, that's not good news. Eventually the Dem party will shatter from the stress of providing an overly big tent. The progressive wing could become a fringe group, with Dems basically being the Centrist stronghold for conservative Dems and moderate Republicans. Our Centrist party would still count as Right Wing in most of the industrialized world.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
This worries me as well. Shoving everyone who is pro-democratic into one tent just may not be feasible in the long-term, as in beyond January and the inauguration of Biden. Lincoln Project Republicans are still Republicans, they still have the same mindset that got us into this mess in the first place. I can't abide their small-c conservatism and I don't want them pouring into the Democratic party and skewing us even farther right of where we are now, which is too damn far to the right as it is.

If the Republican party becomes the vitriolic Far Right (nearly there now), bleeding everyone who isn't a nutjob, that's not good news. Eventually the Dem party will shatter from the stress of providing an overly big tent. The progressive wing could become a fringe group, with Dems basically being the Centrist stronghold for conservative Dems and moderate Republicans. Our Centrist party would still count as Right Wing in most of the industrialized world.
I think the pandemic on top of attempt to overthrow elections on top of the daily hammering of corruption, lies, and cruelty has caused many to undergo a re examination and realignment of positions. The never trumpers I follow know that this horror Show grew out of seeds THEY HELPED PLANT by looking the other way. They thought they could control that “fringe” that turned out to be the heart of the party. The Republican Party is dead. It’s now the Trump party.

With some exceptions, anyone who comes through this trauma without being profoundly changed has IMO not been paying sufficient attention.

Steve Schmidt hits nail on head:

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
The never trumpers I follow know that this horror Show grew out of seeds THEY HELPED PLANT by looking the other way. They thought they could control that “fringe” that turned out to be the heart of the party. The Republican Party is dead. It’s now the Trump party.
Sure, they're sorry now -- possibly quite sincerely -- that they used racist dog whistles to shore up their party with whacko-crazy fringe members. They don't consider Trump and his supporters to be "real" Republicans, and I would agree with them about that, too. But I see few signs that they are sorry for the traditional core beliefs of the Republican Party itself. Trump wasn't holding a gun to their head when Reagan broke unions or touted the benefits of trickle-down economics, or when Bush Jr. decided that obliterating Iraq was a lucrative response to 9/11. Mitch McConnell is not a Trumpist, but he's been abusing his power of office long before Trump was elected president, and I don't hear the loud clarion call of denunciation from them even now.

I don't trust them to have changed their stripes, just because they refuse to jump hoops in a circus freakshow. They're still predators.

Last edited:

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sure, they're sorry now -- possibly quite sincerely -- that they used racist dog whistles to shore up their party with whacko-crazy fringe members. They don't consider Trump and his supporters to be "real" Republicans, and I would agree with them about that, too. But I see few signs that they are sorry for the traditional core beliefs of the Republican Party itself. Trump wasn't holding a gun to their head when Reagan broke unions or touted the benefits of trickle-down economics, or when Bush Jr. decided that obliterating Iran was a lucrative response to 9/11. Mitch McConnell is not a Trumpist, but he's been abusing his power of office long before Trump was elected president, and I don't hear the loud clarion call of denunciation from them even now.

I don't trust them to have changed their stripes, just because they refuse to jump hoops in a circus freakshow. They're still predators.
I can’t agree they are all predators.

People evolve and so do parties. Here are the votes by parties for the Civil Rights Act of 1964:

Democratic Party: 152–96 (61–39%)
Republican Party: 138–34 (80–20%)
Cloture in the Senate:[25]
Democratic Party: 44–23 (66–34%)
Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)
The Senate version:[24]
Democratic Party: 46–21 (69–31%)
Republican Party: 27–6 (82–18%)
The Senate version, voted on by the House:[24]
Democratic Party: 153–91 (63–37%)
Republican Party: 136–35 (80–20%)