SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Stupid time travellers...

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
At the moment, I'm reading Learning from the Germans: Race and the Memory of Evil, by Susan Neiman, a fascinating comparison of how Germany deals with responsibility for the Holocaust as compared with how the US deals with the consequences of slavery and the era of racist terrorism known as "Jim Crow" (a nomenclature she suggests, that is as inappropriate to what it is applied as would be the use of the name of a leading 1930s antisemitic comedian to describe Nazi persecution and terror).

There she recounts a conversation with the journalist Diane McWhorter about how things have changed in Mississippi since they were growing up in the 1960s and 70s, which has explained to me why the Republicans insist on calling their opponents "the Democrat Party" and explains a great deal about Republican political rhetoric and dog-whistles, and Trump's condemnation of "Democrat governors" and "Democrat cities" (this is probably a lot more obvious to native-speakers of US English, but I discovered it only yesterday).

Anyway, McWhorter explains:
They have changed their language. “The country club euphemism for black person is Democrat,” she told me. There are a lot of Democrats staying at our hotel. Statistically speaking, the euphemism is accurate. Scanning color-coded maps after the 2016 election, I saw just one long swath of blue that was neither a coast nor a city. Eighty percent of the Mississippi Delta population is African American, and they colored that piece of the state Democrat.

Last edited:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

This is what we're actually up against: People who would rather live under a totalitarian regime than have to deal with universal health care and public schools and...legalized weed!

Last edited:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
OMG if Biden wins we might have black people living in the suburbs! VOTE TRUMP 2020 2024 2028 2032...

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
  • 1Like
Reactions: Shiloh Lyric

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
At the moment, I'm reading Learning from the Germans: Race and the Memory of Evil, by Susan Neiman, a fascinating comparison of how Germany deals with responsibility for the Holocaust as compared with how the US deals with the consequences of slavery and the era of racist terrorism known as "Jim Crow" (a nomenclature she suggests, that is as inappropriate to what it is applied as would be the use of the name of leading 1930s antisemitic comedian to describe Nazi persecution and terror).

There she recounts a conversation with the journalist Diane McWhorter about how things have changed in Mississippi since they were growing up in the 1960s and 70s, which has explained to me why the Republicans insist on calling their opponents "the Democrat Party" and explains a great deal about Republican political rhetoric and dog-whistles, and Trump's condemnation of "Democrat governors" and "Democrat cities" (this is probably a lot more obvious to native-speakers of US English, but I discovered it only yesterday).

Anyway, McWhorter explains:
Bought the book, thanks :)

• 1Like
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
What scares me about Biden? The better question to ask is, what doesn’t! I look at Biden and I see a seasoned, experienced politician who has pursued the presidency for close to four decades now. This is clearly a man who will automatically outsource his administration to the Manhattan-San Francisco progressive mores that increasingly permeate my daily newspapers. That must be why he ran in the first place! The only way for Biden to implement fringe left views was to knock out the preferred candidates of the folks who hold those views. This is just science! And science frightens me.
You know it makes sense.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Shiloh Lyric

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
As for the "silent" Trump voters I've read about some places...I doubt that one. I belong to a few private Facebook groups, and I think there are "red" neighborhoods (and I can definitely speak for PA in this) where there are far more people planning on voting for Biden than their neighbors might realize. And while it seems the large majority of them are women so it may explain why, I can tell you that they're not publicizing their feelings anywhere but in private Facebook groups because of the backlash they feel they might get. I think Biden may have a larger contingent of "silent" voters than Trump does, this time around. Joe isn't Hillary and this isn't 2016. Trump supporters have NO fear of expressing their support of their king.
I'm not normally good at "predicting", but I might have called this one: