2020 U.S. Presidential elections

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
This is so dumb. I and many people have had criticism of Obama, both Clintons and Biden. But seriously the choice AS OF RIGHT NOW is trump or biden. It isn't lalaland unless you cant stop lala-ing about bernie. People ARE NOT MAD about your concerns about biden but rather what is the option beside him? Do you want more trump then? Cuz this is how you get more trump.
I'm not "la-la"ing about Bernie. I haven't said anything substantive about Bernie in ages, because the primary is over. It's you all trying to put words in my mouth there, always reducing everything to the same thing as if I want more Trump, when I don't. I'm not telling anyone to not vote for Biden. If the fact that showing Biden's history turns people's stomachs is a thing, then good. It turns mine, and I hate the fact that I have to vote for that MF because I'm in a swing state and I'm not stupid. But more importantly, the activist energy to not accept a band-aid over a bullet hole needs to stay alive.

• 1Pie
Reactions: NyteWytch

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
I'm not "la-la"ing about Bernie. I haven't said anything substantive about Bernie in ages, because the primary is over. It's you all trying to put words in my mouth there, always reducing everything to the same thing as if I want more Trump, when I don't. I'm not telling anyone to not vote for Biden. If the fact that showing Biden's history turns people's stomachs is a thing, then good. It turns mine, and I hate the fact that I have to vote for that MF because I'm in a swing state and I'm not stupid. But more importantly, the activist energy to not accept a band-aid over a bullet hole needs to stay alive.
I have yet to talk to ONE person whether here, the discord chat or in the world that WAS FOR Biden. The people I have spoken with are well aware of his stance or lack therof (for their priorities). We all had him 10 or so candidates down from what *we* wanted. So what do you want to accomplish here? A pat on the back? To be more woke than *us*? To be the *most* progressive of commenter? A cookie?

Grats, you got it. You are so much more aware than our feeble minds here. You are the most progressive...we bow to your feats and thank you for bringing us to this awakened state. Happy? I'm guessing not...

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
I have yet to talk to ONE person whether here, the discord chat or in the world that WAS FOR Biden. The people I have spoken with are well aware of his stance or lack therof (for their priorities). We all had him 10 or so candidates down from what *we* wanted. So what do you want to accomplish here? A pat on the back? To be more woke than *us*? To be the *most* progressive of commenter? A cookie?

Grats, you got it. You are so much more aware than our feeble minds here. You are the most progressive...we bow to your feats and thank you for bringing us to this awakened state. Happy? I'm guessing not...
I'm well aware that Biden wasn't anyone's first choice. I've already said what I wanted but you'd rather get off on scolding me than absorb it.

• 1Disagree
Reactions: NyteWytch

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
We have tens of millions of people who, even with the ACA, don't have insurance. That number was exacerbated with the current crisis, and people losing their jobs. Keeping insurance based on employment is just a horrible idea that needs to die, and it should have been crystal clear in these conditions that merely propping up the ACA is not enough, as it would still leave around 10M people without insurance, by Biden's own admission. By forcing people to use COBRA, they have to pay the portion that their employer used to pay just to keep their insurance, until they can hopefully find a job with insurance benefits. That's a pretty astronomical amount, and extremely difficult to do if you have no savings. The average American can't afford a $400 emergency, yet a newly-unemployed person is supposed to afford COBRA to keep coverage?
Thank you, but you'll have to bear with me since I'm not familiar with the US system.

The proposals outlined on Biden's website as I read them (and I may well be misunderstanding them) seemed to suggest that he proposes, among other things, to restore and expand Obamacare and, as one aspect of this, to extend to everyone who isn't covered by Medicare the opportunity to buy into into it, as one low cost insurance option among others.

Could you perhaps direct me to something written (not a YouTube presentation, particularly since I'm trying to understand numbers here) that explains who is disadvantaged by Biden's plans vs "Medicare for all," and to what extent?

You would, I assume, agree that Biden's proposals represent an improvement, to at least some degree, on what is available at the moment, after the last three and half years' assault on Obamacare, but that would still leave at least some people worse off than they would be under Medicare for All, though certainly better off than they are at the moment.

I'm trying to understand who those "some people" are, and how many of them there are, and to what extent they lose out from Biden's proposals for them vs your preferred option.

• 1Like
Reactions: Pamela

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Just bear in mind that "what is possible" and "what is legal" are not the same thing. So sure, Trump can't legally reject the election results, but the legality of his actions hasn't been much of an issue for him before.

The crux of the issue is who will stop him from illegal activity? Up until now, we get a lot of crickets when he veers off the lawful road....

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
I'm well aware that Biden wasn't anyone's first choice. I've already said what I wanted but you'd rather get off on scolding me than absorb it.

This is what Biden is up against. Willful ignorance. People who feel Trump has been sent by God because he "speaks the truth and exposes corruption and fights the deep state". You would rather disenchant voters because Biden is the nominee rather than fight all this bullshit that is dismantling democracy. Oh and repeat t.swift lyrics.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts

This is what Biden is up against. Willful ignorance. People who feel Trump has been sent by God because he "speaks the truth and exposes corruption and fights the deep state". You would rather disenchant voters because Biden is the nominee rather than fight all this bullshit that is dismantling democracy. Oh and repeat t.swift lyrics.
What the hell does that have to do with me? I don't tell anything untrue about Biden. I've said multiple times that "disenchanting voters" is not why I put his record out there. I think it's rather laughable and, honestly, sad that posting someone's actual record is so objectionable to you that you feel the need to play Regina George and scold me. I have set my expectations accordingly for what I'm voting for.

• 1lolwut?
Reactions: Clara D.

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
What the hell does that have to do with me? I don't tell anything untrue about Biden. I've said multiple times that "disenchanting voters" is not why I put his record out there. I think it's rather laughable and, honestly, sad that posting someone's actual record is so objectionable to you that you feel the need to play Regina George and scold me. I have set my expectations accordingly for what I'm voting for.
I find it hilarious you think this is me scolding you lmfao. This is me thinking you are part of the problem and disingenuous. Again I will state...I don't give 2 fucks about what upsets YOU about Biden's record....he is the only fucking choice. If you are fine with bleating about his record to make those who don't want to vote for him stay home...that is on *you*. I cant believe anyone can see the dumpster fire that is this country right now and not be shouting from the mountains that trump has to go.

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I think I’m missing some nuance in this latest exchange, which isn’t uncommon because I’m not well versed in American politics.

I’ve had to hold my nose and vote for the lesser of two evils before, but I never felt I had to hide the fact that’s what I was doing. I could freely and openly discuss all the reasons I don’t like X along with all the reasons why I am voting for them anyway.

Is that not all Cristalle is trying to say?

Edit to add for transparency, I voted Liberal which is essentially a vote for Trudeau. I’m not a fan of his, but strategically it was the best decision in my riding and a much better option for Prime Minister than Scheer. Provincially I went NDP for similar reasons. I could still make a list of what I don’t like about both candidates and parties I voted for. Is that gauche?

NyteWytch

What's good, Miley?
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
SLU Posts
Not from my point of view. She commonly rails on about Biden as if trying to dissuade anyone from voting from him as if we aren't able to see what she clearly sees. Now dont get me wrong...I actually like Cristalle (though that might not be apparent lol) but I pull no punches and suffer no fools as well. :ROFLMAO: This all started (for me) long ago when she was posting nonstop conspiracy vids and bleating about bernie being thwarted by the democratic machine.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Not from my point of view. She commonly rails on about Biden as if trying to dissuade anyone from voting from him as if we aren't able to see what she clearly sees. Now dont get me wrong...I actually like Cristalle (though that might not be apparent lol) but I pull no punches and suffer no fools as well. :ROFLMAO: This all started (for me) long ago when she was posting nonstop conspiracy vids and bleating about bernie being thwarted by the democratic machine.
I would add that prior to Biden it was ANY democrat whose first name didn't start with Bernie, including links to hot Russian propaganda on all of them. It led to our first VVO locked thread and it wasn't pretty.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I have blocked a number of posters recently, but I would say that it is useless to add fuel to the fire fanned by Russian propaganda instead of constructively boosting more progressive candidates down ballot. It doesn't matter to me if you are a willing tool or a useful idiot, the result is the same.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Just bear in mind that "what is possible" and "what is legal" are not the same thing. So sure, Trump can't legally reject the election results, but the legality of his actions hasn't been much of an issue for him before.

The crux of the issue is who will stop him from illegal activity? Up until now, we get a lot of crickets when he veers off the lawful road....
This is what I believe might happen. The placement of "troops" in American cities is a part of this plan. We have already seen that these non-military "officers" are willing to point guns at peaceful Americans. We've seen them beating the hell out of people for just standing there and speaking. If it was a test run to see if they'd do anything - its proven successful. To be honest, I actually think its the reason for the lack of plan/response on Covid. The more chaos, the more noise and terror - the easier it is for him to declare martial law and for us to slip into a dictatorship come November. Who will stand up to that? Will Susan Collins be concerned? Will the Republicans in the Senate mutter that they hadn't heard anything about it while they rush past the soon-to-be-arrested journalists?

Our only hope is people mailing in their mail in votes super early (since the administration appears to already be purposefully slowing mail times down) - or better yet, take them in envelopes to drop off sites in person. Some states do allow for this - its how I voted last year (just because it was convenient, not for any reasons like this).

The question is - how many Americans are willing to go out and risk their lives if he tries to change the date or cancel the election? I think I will. It will take millions of us to have a chance.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I think I’m missing some nuance in this latest exchange, which isn’t uncommon because I’m not well versed in American politics.

I’ve had to hold my nose and vote for the lesser of two evils before, but I never felt I had to hide the fact that’s what I was doing. I could freely and openly discuss all the reasons I don’t like X along with all the reasons why I am voting for them anyway.

Is that not all Cristalle is trying to say?
Let's play pretend.

Let's say, 2020 being the year it is, the Democrats fully embraced the crazy and nominated not Biden, but a rock.

So, now we're getting ready to vote for a rock. I mean, it's a rock! What were we thinking?! But it's not Trump, so oh yes Jesus we're gonna vote for it. Between Trump and a rock, the rock wins, no contest.

Meanwhile, there are people posting about how the rock is porous. The rock has been thrown at people in the past, so it's dangerous. The rock was often used to trip people up, and - being a rock - has little of what could be really called a progressive history. It usually just sat there, like a....like a rock.

Do they think they're educating us on WHAT A FUCKING ROCK IS? The rock certainly wasn't *our* first choice. Hell, around these parts, it wasn't anyone's 198th choice. Why, you ask? Why weren't we rock supporters from the start? Well, I imagine it's for some or maybe all the reasons those people keep linking to. But as a party, the rock is what we chose. So: ROCK 2020.

Meanwhile, people keep posting links showing how the rock is igneous, or more shale than anything else. And we keep asking, what is the point?

Play time over.