2020 U.S. Presidential elections

Monica Dream

Jesus -he knows me ...and he knows I'm right!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
And enough of the "Biden/Harris are just as bad as Republicans" crap. I'll let Natalie Wynn of Contrapoints call you out:

Totally apropos of absolutely nothing; but I was stoked when I checked youtube and found that video had came out like less than half an hour earlier and I was able to watch it.

It's clearly rough around the edges, but still awesome AF anyway...

Monica Dream

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Biden, like Obama, has an unholy and unrealistic fetish for "reaching across the aisle". You want this particular D in office, that's one of many sacrifices you'll have to be ready to make. Republicans will get off without any punishments, and Trump will probably face no signifigant jail time.

That's just how it's going to be.

• 1Agree
  • 1Scared
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield and Govi

Monica Dream

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
And I have no problems at all hoping that Limbaugh has a miserable, painful death and then burns in the Fires of hell that he so richly deserves.

There's nothing wrong with that, either.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Unh uh. Nooooo...They have been ALL in for him. They will be again, should he win or cheat his way into it again.

I won't forgive Biden, if in the name of peace, he lets these criminals off the hook. Been there, done that. All it leads to is more criminality; bolder and bolder attacks upon our democracy. Someone has to put the foot down, somewhere. Hold them accountable.
From what I've read, many Republican legislators find themselves trapped by their constituents, since whatever misgivings they may harbour privately about Trump, they know that if they annoy him, he can have them primaried by his red-hatted fanatics and replaced by a true believer.

Their position reminds me of something I read years ago by one of the Czech dissident writers, shortly after the collapse of the USSR 30 years ago (Josef Skvorecky, I think, but maybe Milan Kundera) about how otherwise decent people brought themselves to collaborate by working with repressive regimes because "If I don't do the job, someone worse than me will, and I can try to mitigate their excesses," and how, in practice, they often became the worst of the regime's supporters.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Warning, Dutch directness ahead.

If the US ever wants to end this deep political division with unbelievable deep hatred on both sides, where people think about assassinations and civil war on both sides, the only way out I see is reaching out to the other side and see what is possible to cooperate and calm things down the next presidential term.

There was a documentary on NL tv the other day about what is going on with the MAGATS and some groups of Dems as well and I found it scaring as hell.
It seems as if very little common sense is left among large parts of the population.
This has very little to do with politics as we know it here in Europe, let me tell you that much.
I can see what the Biden team is trying to come up with.
Otherwise this fucking shit where your country is 'politically' splashing around in at the moment, on both sided, will never end.

I'm going to close my stock account within the next days. Sell them all.
I think the period from November 4 until inauguration day will show very bumpy rides on the stock markets.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Every administration prior to Trump's had some cabinet officials from "the other side", because they actually sought to put competent and experienced people in those positions instead of just using them to reward family and friends. That needs to be re-normalized.

Monica Dream

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Warning, Dutch directness ahead.

If the US ever wants to end this deep political division with unbelievable deep hatred on both sides, where people think about assassinations and civil war on both sides, the only way out I see is reaching out to the other side and see what is possible to cooperate and calm things down the next presidential term.
Naw, fuck that.

Democrats have done way too much "reaching out", and all it has done is to give the republicans license to push the overton window further and further to the right.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Normally I would agree that reaching across the aisle is vital to any democracy.

HOWEVER, we've been dealing with those of bad faith; those who have NO intention of doing anything other than destroying and obstructing anything and everything. That is their very publicly stated goal. Should there be lesser members willing to work with the other side they get punished either in chambers or at the polls. These are not normal times.

What to do with that?

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Biden, like Obama, has an unholy and unrealistic fetish for "reaching across the aisle". You want this particular D in office, that's one of many sacrifices you'll have to be ready to make. Republicans will get off without any punishments, and Trump will probably face no signifigant jail time.

That's just how it's going to be.
Just want to say that I didn't want "this particular D" in office. Wasn't my vote, but he is what is up against the worst threat to democracy we have ever faced. He has my support and has been slowly improving my support of him as we move along.

Sadly, you may well be right about the endlessly hopeful against all odds and ill-fated "reaching across the aisle".

A bit like trying to negotiate with the devil in the sense of deceit and fuckery. That never ends well for those who approach it in good fatih.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I have no issues with reaching across the aisle. I'm really not a 'sports-team fanatic' type politician. I rather loathe most current republican politicians, but not because of what party they belong to [though after this, I might just because at this point? Leave and go independent, ffs]

But, there is a difference between reaching across the aisle, and crossing line after line in the sand, going ever further 'right' because the other party refuses to work with you and keeps moving the goalposts.

Monica Dream

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
I have no issues with reaching across the aisle. I'm really not a 'sports-team fanatic' type politician. I rather loathe most current republican politicians, but not because of what party they belong to [though after this, I might just because at this point? Leave and go independent, ffs]

But, there is a difference between reaching across the aisle, and crossing line after line in the sand, going ever further 'right' because the other party refuses to work with you and keeps moving the goalposts.
Agreed; there's also a point ...and I believe that Democrats past it somewhere around 09 or 10 or so... where reaching across the aisle is self-defeating.

It only works and is only worthwhile when the people you're reaching out to are willing to reach back.

Republicans aren't, have not been for over a decade now.
Barry Goldwater said:
“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
So, got not one, but two threatening emails from the 'Proud Boys'. Much like the threat to blackmail me for the pron I watch [what pron?] thy just went straight to spam, but now I'm wondering how I even report this, if I should even bother [think I should]
I think the FBI is probably the point of first contact for cyber-crime. I know they're the agency who liaise with British law enforcement.

(I would report it, certainly)

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

danielravennest

SLU Posts
The FBI is investigating emails sent to dozens of individuals in Florida proclaiming to "know" that the voters are Democrats and ordering them to change their party affiliation to Republican and vote for Trump "or we will come after you".
18 U.S. Code § 594. Intimidation of voters

Whoever intimidates, threatens, coerces, or attempts to intimidate, threaten, or coerce, any other person for the purpose of interfering with the right of such other person to vote or to vote as he may choose, or of causing such other person to vote for, or not to vote for, any candidate for the office of President, Vice President, Presidential elector, Member of the Senate, Member of the House of Representatives, Delegate from the District of Columbia, or Resident Commissioner, at any election held solely or in part for the purpose of electing such candidate, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

• 1Like
Reactions: Pamela

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
So that FBI "news conference" just now was a propagandic waste of time. I like the national intelligence director casually tossing "to harm Trump" in there when the actual emails they were talking about were ordering registered Dems to vote for Trump, and then not taking any questions so reporters wouldn't be able to bring up this inconsistency.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Talking to a few people does not mean they're going to get handed a cabinet post.
Also, if your vetting team already know that person has a fatal problem in their background, talking to them is no risk at all. Appearance of bipartisanship, but afterwards they can say, oh sorry, we have to go with someone else because X. Unlike Trump, Biden and Harris likely have a professional team working up a candidate list for appointees. To start with, they can lean on folks who did that for Obama/Biden for 8 years.

This is a really important job. A president and VP can only do so much themselves. They depend on hundreds of appointees to carry out their policies. Trump has left many agency positions unstaffed, led by incompetents, or led by evil. So they need to do a thorough housecleaning on day 1 to start repairing things.

danielravennest

SLU Posts

Well, I guess there's still time to save themselves...
I give them no points for having supported Trump for four years, then fleeing like rats when it looks like he's losing. I for one won't forget, and hold them accountable.