2020 U.S. Presidential elections

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Your weekly reminder not to trust poll numbers.

Trump voters are intentionally telling surveys they intend to vote for Biden in hopes of creating another surprise come-from-behind win for Trump in the face of all the polls showing him losing, just like what happened in 2016 except maybe even bigger. As Trump fans' entire ontology revolves around eschewing acting in good faith, you'd have to be nuts to believe they're answering surveys honestly.
Maybe. But probably not in numbers that will have a significant impact. If you look at the election polls and the approval rating polls aggregated on fivethirtyeight, the two have moved together for the entire year, usually within a percentage of each other. Either they have been consistently lying on both sets of polls for a very long time, of they are not having an impact on the numbers.

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Still, never count your chickens, before they hatch.

By the way:

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Soen Eber

Cindy Claveau

Joined SLU
June 2007
SLU Posts
The reckoning

Some Americans entertain a fantasy that goes like this: President Trump is voted out of office, finally faces justice for his serial misconduct and shuffles off to prison. A wearier, probably larger population looks forward to scrubbing the nation’s memory of these past four years and returning to pre-Trump life. A third sizable group shows unwavering loyalty to Trump.

One lesson of American history is that the country’s worst injuries are those we’ve caused ourselves. This history is not uplifting, but it is edifying, and it haunts. Failing to perform the necessary diagnostic surgery after a time of collective wrongdoing has costs. The steepest is this: Subsequent generations inherit a weakened democracy. Today it is imperative to confront the facts of the Trump era. We elected as president a homegrown insurrectionist. He rose to the highest position in our democracy and damaged it. Even now, he continues to assault our laws and institutions, our independent judiciary, our national security, our health, and our constitutional system of checks and balances. It’s unimaginable, ludicrous even, to contemplate doing nothing about Donald Trump.

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
The Netherlands likes orangey the best. I would have never guessed.
Probably because he doesn't mention them much. I don't think he could find their country on a map.

And if Trump mentions the Netherlands, it's going to be something along the lines of <Trump>"The Netherlanders... build good canals. To keep the water out. And tullips. Maybe we will ask them to help us with the wall, add a ditch. The wall needs a moat for shipping stuff from Arizona to Texas. But not to California because they don't like us there. People keep telling me this will bring back a lot of jobs to the Phoenix City harbour. And the farmers will love it because they can use the water for irritation"</Trump>.

The casual Dutch observer might translate this into "I think he said we're good engineers".

But all you'd have to do in order to annihilate Trump in the polls over there would be to ask him if America could learn something from Dutch urban planning concepts that prioritize pedestrians and bycicles over cars. He'd instinctively respond with the most boorish answer possible, something like <Trump>"Terrible. Terrible. You can't get anywhere in the Netherlands because they banned all the cars *. They need to open up their cities to American cars because global warming is a hoax **"</Trump>.

* This is a complete and utter lie.
** The Dutch approach to urban planning was motivated by a push to make cities more liveable and has little to do with global warming. Also, bikes are to the Dutch what guns are to Americans.

Likewise, the main reason why Germany scores so high in that list is probably because whenever Trump talks about us, it's something negative. And that is mainly because our chancellor is a woman who is more competent and intelligent than him.

Last edited:

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
The Netherlands likes orangey the best. I would have never guessed.
Hey, orange is our house color.

More seriously:
We have a large group of right wing voters idiots in NL. Wilders' PVV would be the second large party when there would be general elections at the moment.
So yeah, combine that with the numbers of that other pretty conservative party Forum voor Democratie and you will get somewhere around 35% Trump adapts.
Our political disposables.

Jopsy Pendragon

I'm now giving negative Eff's. I'm in debt.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
"This is a nice golf course you got here, Mr. Trump ... reallllll nice. Be a shame if something was to, you know, happen to it."
Would serve him right if the IRS went totally "civil forfiture" on his ass(ets).

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Unfortunately, I'm really afraid for people who are going to the polling places this election.

Armed militias should NEVER be allowed anywhere near a polling place! They are there to intimidate (non-Trump) voters and serve absolutely no other purpose. If you can, do mail in ballots, just make sure you follow the instructions to the letter to assure that they count and if your state allows it, follow up online to see if they have been received and counted. I am at this point, beyond disgusted with the entire Republican party, which I used to, at least, have some respect for. As for militias and Trump supporters, shame on you, all of you. When you show up at polling places with the intent to intimidate democracy you are shitting on the very constitution that you claim to protect.

Jopsy Pendragon

I'm now giving negative Eff's. I'm in debt.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I worry that going after Trump directly could be a blackhole of legal loopholes that ends up granting even -more- power to the office of president rather than actually hold him accountable.

I'm fine if we let him go. Let the banks & IRS run him and his family into the ground.

But what -needs- to happen is for every one of his co-conspirators, who knowingly and willingly aided and abetted his administration of malice, incompetence and self-enrichment... they all need to be completely and publicly ruined for the remainder of their lives.

If they were colluding with foreign interests against the U.S. then extraordinary rendition seems -perfectly- reasonable. Bring back those monsters who were getting their kicks photographing prisoners being tortured and have them guard them. And leak it all to the internet.

Make it terrifyingly clear that 'Serving at the pleasure of the president' is no protection from the consequences of seditious/treasonous acts against the country.

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
“Under the Biden lockdown, the lights of Reno and Las Vegas were extinguished,” [Trump] said.

Yet Trump was president during the lockdowns this year. Biden was a private citizen with no government role at all.

Trump then claimed Biden would cancel the upcoming Christmas season if elected.

“If he comes in, Carson City will become a ghost town and the Christmas season will be canceled,” Trump said.
Well if Biden has all this power while not being President, why don't we just make him President NOW?

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts

Well if Biden has all this power while not being President, why don't we just make him President NOW?
For poorly educated people who are willing to ignore all that he is... its a great way to deflect. Its like all his ads trying to pin the civil unrest this summer on Biden and well, anyone but him.

Which I guess means Christmas/Yule is going to be pretty bleak if excrement gets his way.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
“Under the Biden lockdown, the lights of Reno and Las Vegas were extinguished,” [Trump] said.

Yet Trump was president during the lockdowns this year. Biden was a private citizen with no government role at all.

Trump then claimed Biden would cancel the upcoming Christmas season if elected.

“If he comes in, Carson City will become a ghost town and the Christmas season will be canceled,” Trump said.
If Biden is elected he will stomp kittens! Every day, a new kitten dies under the shoe of President Biden! The criminal FBI will take kittens right out of your children's hands so that Biden can stomp them!

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
If Biden is elected he will stomp kittens! Every day, a new kitten dies under the shoe of President Biden! The criminal FBI will take kittens right out of your children's hands so that Biden can stomp them!
Great, now that'll start appearing on QAnon sites in a few days.

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Great, now that'll start appearing on QAnon sites in a few days.
I have a better one fpr the QAnons:
Joe Biden died 3.8 years ago. It is Hillary Clinton that impersonates him.
You want proof? If you look closely you see the fake hair line, just like Trump has.
Further, don't forget her e-mails! And last but not least, ask Elvis. He is her/his personal campaign assistance.
They communicate secretly via the 5G network and she eats toasted babies with strawberry marmalade for breakfast.