2020 U.S. Presidential elections

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
This post really needs multiple reactions, because Trump's lame attempt at explaining a retweet is very facepalm-worthy, while Mary's response, and the tweet she responded to, are both award-winning and had me laughing off the couch!

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

danielravennest

SLU Posts
and the lack of voting places for people of color or lower economic class -
What happened last time in Georgia on election day is insufficient voting machines were delivered in the Atlanta area, resulting in up to 7 hour waits to vote. They kept the polls open until the last person in line had voted, and volunteers brought pizza to people waiting. But still, with lines so long, some people couldn't wait that long. Our former Secretary of State was overseeing his own election to become governor, and is widely seen as having cheated his way to a win.

This time around, the Atlanta Hawks stadium (basketball) is being used as an early voting location, with 300 machines, and the giant convention center near the airport has 50 machines, to prevent such lines. Due to the virus, live sports and conventions are not happening, so the spaces are available. Normally voting happens in places like libraries, senior centers, fire stations, or churches.

Due to the shenanigans last time, a huge number of people are doing absentee ballots (mail or drop box) or voting early, to avoid election day problems. As of this morning votes already cast in Georgia are 27% of the total from 2016, with 18 days to go.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Part of the problem, though, as I understand it, is that US ballot papers seem, by British standards at least, so inordinately long.

In the UK, parliamentary elections are always (as far as I know) held on their own -- local elections are held separately -- and even in a local election, where you may be voting in two separate elections (for both town and for county councils) it never takes me more than 30 seconds or so to walk to the polling booth after receiving the ballot paper, put crosses in the appropriate boxes, and drop the paper(s) in the ballot box.
The US leaves much more of the decision-making up to voters. We have federal elections (president, house & senate), state (governor, state house & senate, plus other state offices like utility commission, secretary of state, plus state constitution amendments), regional special tax districts, county officials (commission & county courts), and city offices if you live in a city (mayor & city council). Sometimes bond issues are also on the ballot. That's authorization for an entity to borrow money

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The US leaves much more of the decision-making up to voters. We have federal elections (president, house & senate), state (governor, state house & senate, plus other state offices like utility commission, secretary of state, plus state constitution amendments), regional special tax districts, county officials (commission & county courts), and city offices if you live in a city (mayor & city council). Sometimes bond issues are also on the ballot. That's authorization for an entity to borrow money
I wonder if this is notably preferable to what we're used to in the UK, and I expect most of Europe, too, and elsewhere, with most officials either part of an independent civil or local government service or appointed by the local or national government.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sid

Govi

feral ballerina
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I wonder if this is notably preferable to what we're used to in the UK, and I expect most of Europe, too, and elsewhere, with most officials either part of an independent civil or local government service or appointed by the local or national government.
In many cases, the establishment of more elected offices has been as a consequence of egregious behavior on the part of unelected officials. The American solution has been to make those powerful offices elected. It is how we have coped with corruption of the type that Donald Trump powerfully exemplifies. It's not ideal, of course, resulting in long ballots with many offices that no one has heard of, understands, or cares about. Every now and then, though, corrupt or just stupid behavior gets punished at the polls.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
In many cases, the establishment of more elected offices has been as a consequence of egregious behavior on the part of unelected officials. The American solution has been to make those powerful offices elected. It is how we have coped with corruption of the type that Donald Trump powerfully exemplifies. It's not ideal, of course, resulting in long ballots with many offices that no one has heard of, understands, or cares about. Every now and then, though, corrupt or just stupid behavior gets punished at the polls.
Nevertheless, I'm not at all sure our civil or local government service is notably less competent or more corrupt than is yours. Rather the opposite, if anything, I think.

In any organisation, be it banks, theme parks, Amazon, or government, I'd have thought efficiency and probity were best ensured by following good management and auditing practice and by application of the criminal law when necessary. I don't see how electing officials helps with either.

Plus we don't have to spend so long voting.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'd almost suspect Kamilah had buzzed that link in his ear...

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Sad!

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Glad they solved this giant mystery...

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010

Please and hallelujah...on election night if at all possible. Yes, I want you to face justice but at this point I'd rather you cause less destruction here at home.