2020 Starts Today.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
May as well start speculation for 2020 now before all the votes are counted for 2018...

Sherrod Brown for president? He’s thinking about it

Brown, speaking hours after an appearance on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe,” said regardless of whether he runs, he wants Democrats who are seeking the White House to use lessons from his race as a blueprint for how to run in the industrial Midwest.

“I respect the dignity of work, and I think that’s what Washington forgets about,” said Brown on “Morning Joe.”

He said his campaign “was about workers and the direction we need to go,” and said his successful campaign proved a progressive candidate could win even in a red state such as Ohio by focusing on workers.
He pulled out a 6% margin in the Senate race when Republicans ended up ahead in the Governor's race by over 4%. That alone would make people consider him to put Ohio in play, and he would probably add to Dem support in neighboring Pennsylvania and Indiana.

The downside is that DeWine would get to select his replacement in the Senate.

• 1Like
Reactions: Pamela

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
This the thread about a Sealab?

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
You guys think we're gonna have a normal election in 2020? Bold.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
You guys think we're gonna have a normal election in 2020? Bold.
No. I expect a primary fight on both sides, with Trump using everything in his power to rig the election and taint the outcome. Which is why looking to candidates like Brown who can outperform Republicans in swing states, and who can connect progressive ideas to rural workers is a viable option for the Democrats. There will be many others, which is why I thought starting a thread now would be a good idea, but it looks like the Hilary thread is where the broader Democratic options discussion is happening. I also expect a Republican thread will be necessary fairly soon as Trump is looking weak after the midterms and with the Muller investigation drama, which should bring more establishment Republicans in to challenge him.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Grandma Bates

Only mostly banned....
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
Yes
SLU Posts
No. I expect a primary fight on both sides, with Trump using everything in his power to rig the election and taint the outcome. Which is why looking to candidates like Brown who can outperform Republicans in swing states, and who can connect progressive ideas to rural workers is a viable option for the Democrats. There will be many others, which is why I thought starting a thread now would be a good idea, but it looks like the Hilary thread is where the broader Democratic options discussion is happening. I also expect a Republican thread will be necessary fairly soon as Trump is looking weak after the midterms and with the Muller investigation drama, which should bring more establishment Republicans in to challenge him.
To compound the issue whichever party holds state houses and Governors' offices after 2020 get to redraw the boundaries on political districts. There will be huge pressure on Republicans to maintain their stranglehold on state level legislatures, and that means some in the Republican Party will be looking for alternatives. The other option is to bring the fun and games that took place in Texas and Georgia to limit voter participation to a state near y'all.

The level of desperation will likely peak soon. Republicans of all stripes will be looking at these statistics with a great deal of consternation:

Diversity of Zoomers - Pew Research Center

Given how close the midterm elections were in Texas and Georgia as well as a clean Congressional sweep in New England, many Republicans are thinking about a change of underwear. On the plus side, given that they have little to no concern about history or the truth in any form, it will be very easy to just jettison Trump when the time comes and say he was not a "true Republican." They did the same thing with George W. Bush after he melted down the global economy and said he was not conservative enough.

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
I suppose I am just very negative about government these days, but my fear/expectation is that the Republicans are even now amping up for a campaign\attempt to stop free and fair elections by claiming that rampant fraud makes them impossible. It all depends on if the Democrats are able to be effective as a majority or if they manage to shoot themselves in the foot by going in too many directions.

• 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Pamela and Brenda Archer

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
The hard Right has control of the judiciary and is trying to rig the Census, and still wants a Constitutional Convention. It’s too much to hope the grownups in what was the Republican Party can throw the brakes on this train. We’re headed for a Confederate, Dominionist theocracy. It’s outrageous that the majority of the country voted Democrat, yet they don’t control the government. The Dominionists have to do away with voting because demographics don’t favor them. I expect to see a complete mess. What I don’t understand is why the investor class is letting Dominionists strangle the country, which cannot be good for business. It’s as if they felt America was doomed anyway, but why?

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Pamela