2020 Disasters just keep on coming

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Hmm..I don't do bees, or rather wasps. Yellow jackets and wasps chase me around, bite me repeatedly and I swell up like crazy, within the vicinity of the bite. No, I'm not acting all nervous and nutsy with them. They get me when I am mowing or otherwise doing yard work. So, say It have a bite on my arm, my entire arms swells up. They are very aggressive little buggers. We used to have regular bumblebees and they did their thing, I did mine, but haven't seen them for years now. Those nasty wasps prob did them in.

ETA: My horrid neighbors have all sorts of things that would attract them. They took to tossing their LOOSE beer can/pop cans into my garbage can despite having 3 of their own for a single family dwelling (they should have one) as well as just tossing them into our shared driveway. They also tossed their crabapples in the yard, I guess just for fun. Who knows? There's always like 50 people over there any given day so I dunno who does what. They take no responsibility for their guests, so much so that when I try to leave they have two cars blocking me from leaving my garage. That is in addition to two on their side. These are guest. Fuckers should be on the street. I have to go and knock on their door to ask them to move them, wading through their junkyard backyard, and they are put out.

Speaking of, I have one last mow to do later today It's been gorgeous here the last few days. The last hurrarh. I will end up swollen on some part of my body.
Didn't you move?

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
Well here's some nifty news. You know how normal bees in a hive will have a queen, and that queen might lay maybe one or two eggs that will eventually develop into other queens? Not murder hornets. Murder hornet queens churn out other queens furiously.

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
And.... Iota is now official. Praying that the people in the path can get somewhere safe, since they just got hit by Eta - not even a break, like between the ones hitting Western LA.... :(

• 2Agree
Reactions: Beebo Brink and Govi

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
North American hornets kill people. These new hornets are dangerous to our bees. Also have a press worthy name.

Worried about shit killing you? Keep washing your hands.
Yes, they kill off our honeybees. And also, next to the executioner wasp, this bastard has the worst sting of any insect on the planet, if you believe that Coyote Peterson guy.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Giant Rats in New York

Rats as big as "bunnies". 🐰😧

Kokoro Fasching

SL Rez

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
NY Post doesn't have the best rep ... tried looking up Google News articles and I mostly got articles about a guy in a giant rat costume on the subway, a couple hits on A giant rat, but nothing about an epidemic of them.

• 1Disagree
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
NY Post doesn't have the best rep ... tried looking up Google News articles and I mostly got articles about a guy in a giant rat costume on the subway, a couple hits on A giant rat, but nothing about an epidemic of them.
You may need to dig deeper. Aside from dozens of articles over the years, there's literally an entire book about the epidemic of rats in New York City. It's a fascinating read, btw, as much about the history of NYC as it is about the rats that have inhabited it since the beginning. (I read it about a year ago, on recommendation from a friend.)

...when I mention my rat experiences to people, they sometimes think I took extraordinary measures to investigate them, and I didn't. All I did was stand in an alley-a filth-slicked little alley that is about as old as the city and secret the way alleys are secret and yet just a block or two from Wall Street, from Broadway, and from what used to be the World Trade Center. All I did was take a spot next to the trash and wait and watch, rain or no rain, night after night, and always at night, the time when, generally speaking, humans go to sleep and rats come alive.
Other stories: