2020 Disasters just keep on coming

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
How fucked up of a year is it when the invasion of swarms of murder hornets should be "low on the anxiety meter" in comparison???
North American hornets kill people. These new hornets are dangerous to our bees. Also have a press worthy name.

Worried about shit killing you? Keep washing your hands.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
North American hornets kill people. These new hornets are dangerous to our bees. Also have a press worthy name.

Worried about shit killing you? Keep washing your hands.
Yes, but once they kill off our bees, there's not much left to pollinate our crops. Then the famines start. That's considerably worse than a hornet sting.

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
Yes, but once they kill off our bees, there's not much left to pollinate our crops. Then the famines start. That's considerably worse than a hornet sting.
Farming goes on outside the Americas where these weirdo hornets come from. Famine seems more likely from climate issues.

And I wasn’t trying to slag on you there! :flower:

(And wash your hands.)

• 1Flower
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Honey bees are NOT native to the US, iirc.... so, maybe our old pollinators can manage the job.
This is true, and there are actually more than 20,000 different species of bees.

I have opened up my yard to leaf cutter and mason bees and have several little mason bee hives in place for them to move into. They are native to Florida and one of the most common bees seen. They are great for the garden.

When COVID resides and I can come out of the house, I'm going to take some classes and keep some honey bees but in the meantime, why not invite all the others to the party too?

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
YOU GUYS JINXED IT.. Etas not done yet.... got an email from upper management as Miami is on high alert... They just forecasted the system to head over here... let hope that it doesn't build up as much now that we are out of the season

Last edited:

danielravennest

SLU Posts
YOU GUYS JINXED IT.. Etas not done yet.... got an email from upper management as Miami is on high alert... They just forecasted the system to head over here... let hope that it doesn't build up as much now that we are out of the season

Meh, tropical storm strength in Florida. That's like afternoon rain for them. Also its 5 days out in the forecast, so quite likely will change.

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU

eku zhong

Zhonging along.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Mar 2009
SLU Posts
the 'murder hornets' are pollinators too.
Most farmers here tolerate them because of that and because they catch pests like caterpillars and beetles. They are only dangerous around the hive for most of the year but in autumn they get a little crazy away from the nest too.

What happens in spring and summer is that the workers go out and catch caterpillars and beetles and take them back to the hive and feed them to the pupae (or whatever baby murder hornets are called .. maybe Chucky?? haha dunno the English) and then the babies reward them with sweet spit up .. high in some kind of sugar. This is their only sustenance. However in Autumn when the babies are grown, they don't get anymore sweet spit up.

What farmers here do is make a trap with any kind of sweet liquid plus a little dishwashing liquid to break the surface tension and catch the grumpy wotsits in that.
They all die when it gets cold anyway, except for the queen who makes herself a solitary mud nest for the winter.. and when it gets warm again she will lay a few eggs to get started and the whole cycle begins again.

As for the bees. Here in Japan and the rest of Asia, we do have European honey bees. But beekeepers put a little metal wired thingie over the entrance of the hive .. the holes are big enough for the bees but too small for the hornet (Suzume bachi means sparrow hornet.. cause they big mfers) that way the hornets can't raid the bee hive.

Japanese honey bees don't need this gate on their hive because they have a tactic where they kill the hornet by smothering it with lots of themselves .. and making the hornet die of heat stroke.

Much much more destructive to bees is fucking Monsanto ,.,,, I wouldn't worry about a few killer hornets if I were you.

Hornet gate for bee hive

and how the local bees deal with them

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Honey bees are NOT native to the US, iirc.... so, maybe our old pollinators can manage the job.
Hmm..I don't do bees, or rather wasps. Yellow jackets and wasps chase me around, bite me repeatedly and I swell up like crazy, within the vicinity of the bite. No, I'm not acting all nervous and nutsy with them. They get me when I am mowing or otherwise doing yard work. So, say It have a bite on my arm, my entire arms swells up. They are very aggressive little buggers. We used to have regular bumblebees and they did their thing, I did mine, but haven't seen them for years now. Those nasty wasps prob did them in.

ETA: My horrid neighbors have all sorts of things that would attract them. They took to tossing their LOOSE beer can/pop cans into my garbage can despite having 3 of their own for a single family dwelling (they should have one) as well as just tossing them into our shared driveway. They also tossed their crabapples in the yard, I guess just for fun. Who knows? There's always like 50 people over there any given day so I dunno who does what. They take no responsibility for their guests, so much so that when I try to leave they have two cars blocking me from leaving my garage. That is in addition to two on their side. These are guest. Fuckers should be on the street. I have to go and knock on their door to ask them to move them, wading through their junkyard backyard, and they are put out.

Speaking of, I have one last mow to do later today It's been gorgeous here the last few days. The last hurrarh. I will end up swollen on some part of my body.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts
Mutated mink virus from Denmark count?

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Well, Atlantic hurricane season isn't over yet and we still have Eta hovering around out in the gulf ...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts