2019 Women's World Cup

Sid

Today I might do amazing things but, first coffee.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Tip: keep an eye on these outsiders: les Pays-Bas.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Kukulcan

Kukulcan

Tip: keep an eye on these outsiders: les Pays-Bas.
No doubt! They're on the up and up and their fans are amazing.

Also thank you for teaching me a new phrase for that country, "les Pays-Bas".

Sid

SL Rez
Joined SLU
America's 13-0 win last night shows that women football still has a long way to go. Of course a great moment for the USA team, but most of all it shows that there are teams on this championship that should not have made it to the tournament.

I saw 3 matches so far (the USA match not included), and the level of the games is low. It looks like mid summer camping football most of the time. I'm disappointed. A lot of the women are professionals these days. Not as heavily payed as their male counterparts, but honestly it is not worth much money yet. This is football at the higher male amateur levels at best.

I hope that the women football keeps developing so that it will start to attract more spectators and tv coverage. That would means more money to develope this branch of the FIFA further.

• 1LOL

Kukulcan

I'm disappointed.
I look at it as relative to my ability to play, and those I went against.
They'd smoke me and my teammates on the field, and for that, they have my respect.
I enjoy watching the men's teams too, but I like that the women don't flop as much as the men do, and they rely more on crafty teamwork.

Thailand is new to the tournament, and pretty new to the sport in general.
But they qualified for the tournament and I'm sure they're still happy to be there.

Wait until the USA has to play Sweden or France or Germany. It's a long tournament.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I've seen a lot of chatter; evidently some people are really upset and feel that the USWNT should have dialed back and not scored so many goals against Thailand, and/or that the players should have stopped being so visibly happy about scoring any goals beyond a certain point.

Sid

SL Rez
Joined SLU
The US team did totally nothing wrong. If you get a chance to make a high score then go for it. And that is what they did.
If it was really whise to keep playing full trottle during the whole game, when it was not needed to secure the game, that will show further in the tournament. They achieved at least one thing: they are in a winning mood now.

Kukulcan

I've seen a lot of chatter; evidently some people are really upset and feel that the USWNT should have dialed back and not scored so many goals against Thailand, and/or that the players should have stopped being so visibly happy about scoring any goals beyond a certain point.
Yeah, it's chatter from those who aren't on the pitch, and have probably never scored a goal in their lives, or it's that German commentator on FS1, who's a hypocrite, because her team destroyed Argentina years ago, and the German team celebrated every goal in similar fashion.

It would have been far more disrespectful to Thailand to not play against them at 100%. Just lying down and letting them score some sympathy goals is insane and stupid.
Imagine training your entire life, you finally make it onto the world stage, and score your first goal in the tournament. You're going to be pretty stoked.

Sid

SL Rez
Joined SLU
For a country that has in general a healthy aversion against patriotism, we are doing just fine, I guess.

Last edited:

Halo Minoptra

Not shown in actual size
These matches are great stuff. I have to say, I've got zero interest in the men's world cup, but the women are playing for real. There's no CRYING, for one thing. If they're actually hurt, they go off the field. If they aren't they don't whine and pretend.

Aside from that, the matches are SO CLOSE so much of the time. And the last minutes can get so intense. The level of ability and sportsmanship is so high.

• 1Like

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts

Stora

SL Rez
These matches are great stuff. I have to say, I've got zero interest in the men's world cup, but the women are playing for real. There's no CRYING, for one thing. If they're actually hurt, they go off the field. If they aren't they don't whine and pretend.

Aside from that, the matches are SO CLOSE so much of the time. And the last minutes can get so intense. The level of ability and sportsmanship is so high.
Bold by me.
I take it you've not watched the England vs Cameroon yet. ;-)

Women's World Cup: Fifa to look into Cameroon behaviour in England defeat

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sid

Sid

SL Rez
Joined SLU

Nah, the level of gameplay is really not that great. A lot of defending mistakes, low tempo.
It is a good thing that woman football is worldwide in the lift. Europe is picking up quickly, but there is still an awful long way to go to get it all up to par IMHO.

There are lots of sports, where the gap between female and male games is a lot smaller or non existent like field hockey, volley ball, athletics.
But female football will need at least another decade to improve further to a really professional level.

Last edited:
  • 1Eye Roll

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
From what little I've read of that game I think the U.S. could have scored 20+ points if they wanted to against Thailand.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Was coming here to post this. 2 - 0 vs Netherlands. Way to go!

• 1Like
Reactions: Govi

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts