Yay! 2019 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Variety said:
Nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2019 were announced Tuesday morning: the lineup includes Radiohead, Def Leppard, Stevie Nicks, Rage Against the Machine, the Cure, Devo, Janet Jackson, Kraftwerk, LL Cool J, Roxy Music, Todd Rundgren, John Prine, MC5, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan and the Zombies, according to Rolling Stone.
It's a pretty strong cohort. DEVO and Kraftwork together fill an important gap in 70s synths. Roxy Music has been missing for far too long, and is more likely to get in than a solo Brian Eno. With Fleetwood Mac already in, I don't see a strong case for Stevie Nicks as a solo artist, as her best work was with the band. I see the Zombies as the weakest entry with their short active career. And I would rather see the "newer" acts wait given the competition, although I have nothing against Rage Against the Machine or Radiohead. The Cure have had a long and varied career worth consideration. John Prine is a master songwriter. MC5 and Rufus were both influential in American music. Todd Rundgren, like Eno, is influential both as a performer and a producer. And Janet Jackson and LL Cool J both are solid musicians who have made excellent music and influenced others. And oh, Def Leopard's in there because...well, they made the list.

Last edited:

Markubis

I am one of those that despises how the RRHoF decides nominees. I don't think performers like Janet Jackson or LL Cool J deserve to be nominated mainly because the majority of their work is dance or rap. Sure they may have had a couple songs that were Rock and Roll based but if thats the case, then they should only be considered for those one or two songs and nothing else. And by doing that, they should be looked at no more than a typical "one hit wonder" would.
They should not be nominated because they are a big name and they created a couple of rock songs during their career, they should be nominated to the RRHoF because they dedicated their career to creating rock and roll music.

meh....call me curmudgeonly if you want but that's my opinion.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
The entire process is a mess. I agree that a lot of the inductees are not Rock and Roll, but that ship's sailed. I'm more frustrated by the nebulous "fame" part of it. Some people quote record sales as justification for who belongs, but if that's the case why bother having a predominately white, aging body of mostly American voters serve as gatekeeeprs (despite the lip service to the fan polls, the entire polling counts as one ballot, out of hundreds cast)?

I really want to see bands get in because they did something new, broke ground, pushed the music where it would not have gone without them. On Facebook, I have been trying to get anyone to justify why Stevie Nicks is "overdue" for induction as a solo artist when her best work is with Fleetwood Mac (Rumors and Tusk deserved to get her in) and her solo career is mostly safe corporate rock plowing the same ground. Rock and roll shouldn't be about playing it safe, of just pumping out lackluster fan service for years.

But I expect Stevie Nicks will get in, because she's inoffensive and she sold a lot of records, while DEVO, Kraftwerk, and Roxy Music all had far more influence than their record sales show. But your grandkids can't sing Penetration in the Centerfold or In Every Dream Home a Heartache (the best love song to a blow up doll every recorded) in the car with you.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
I am one of those that despises how the RRHoF decides nominees. I don't think performers like Janet Jackson or LL Cool J deserve to be nominated mainly because the majority of their work is dance or rap.
I like John Prine, one of this years nominees, but he can hardly be considered a legend of Rock and Roll. I don't think he's recorded anything remotely like Rock and Roll.

Robert Jung

The Zombies deserve an honerable mention, because for one brief moment they were amazing,

Free

I am your polar opposite opposite
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts