Nobody cares about food.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Dare I ask what happened?
I think I had so much that my blood sugar went up. I can’t always tell when that happens, but when I can, it’s a kind of fatigue. I get blah from too much sugar instead of high. This has helped me keep up a good A1C though. Not much incentive to be bad. I should have more dark chocolate, or something that’s mostly nuts.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I think I had so much that my blood sugar went up. I can’t always tell when that happens, but when I can, it’s a kind of fatigue. I get blah from too much sugar instead of high. This has helped me keep up a good A1C though. Not much incentive to be bad. I should have more dark chocolate, or something that’s mostly nuts.

I know they're a little pricier, but have you tried Lily's? They're sweetened with erythritol and stevia, and don't budge my blood sugar at all. I love the salted almond, as the salt really kicks up the flavor.

Another options is to use unsweetened chocolate, then melt it and mix with stevia or monk fruit. That would be cheaper, and not have the added inulin (fiber) or erythritol that might cause intestinal issues for some people.

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
I know they're a little pricier, but have you tried Lily's? They're sweetened with erythritol and stevia, and don't budge my blood sugar at all. I love the salted almond, as the salt really kicks up the flavor.

Another options is to use unsweetened chocolate, then melt it and mix with stevia or monk fruit. That would be cheaper, and not have the added inulin (fiber) or erythritol that might cause intestinal issues for some people.
I was reading their labels and might steal their ideas :) Unfortunately I’m one of those people who can’t taste stevia. But I’ve never had a problem with erythritol before. It’s hard to find in a store. Regular dark chocolate coating nuts would work because that makes it mostly fat. Fat is good, it doesn’t raise my blood sugar. I have to avoid sunflower, and maltitol which is in most diet chocolate in a store. I balance my insulin for getting a third to a half of my calories from carb, and I don’t get sugar spikes from small amounts, but I really overdid it.

Isabeau

Merdeuse

White chocolate is weird though.

Who doesn't like watermelon?

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I was reading their labels and might steal their ideas :) Unfortunately I’m one of those people who can’t taste stevia. But I’ve never had a problem with erythritol before. It’s hard to find in a store.
Swerve is made of erythritol, and I see that at all the regular grocery stores now in the regular baking section. But I'm in the Bay Area, so I can't say how common it might be in other regions.

It's harder to find the monk fruit extract, but I got the Lakanto brand from Amazon:

It's about $10 for a couple ounces, but it's SUPER sweet so should last forever (they say it's 260 servings). If you go that route, definitely go easy on it at first. I put one drop in a cup of almond milk and found it way too sweet, but I'm good with 1-2 drops on a chunk of 100% dark chocolate, probably because the bitterness of the chocolate balances it out.

ETA: Agree about the maltitol, definitely avoid it. Several people who've tested it find it affects blood sugar almost as much as pure glucose. Xylitol is another one to be careful about, as it has about 1/2 the effect of glucose. Erythritol is definitely the best sugar alcohol, as it doesn't get metabolized by us at all (except for the 0.2 calories per gram from gut bacteria converting a little bit to fatty acids).

Allulose is another possibility, but is fairly new on the market so is more expensive and harder to find than erythritol.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer