WTF Happened in Iowa?

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I don't think it's just Xers and older, with the smear campaign the Republicans have been running. I've seen the right-wing talking points parroted by millennials and zoomers. Never underestimate the power of fearmongering.
Indeed. I mentioned gen-x and older because we lived through the Cold War. But you're right, the fearmongering has spread far and wide among the generations.

• 1Sad
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I don't think it's just Xers and older, with the smear campaign the Republicans have been running. I've seen the right-wing talking points parroted by millennials and zoomers. Never underestimate the power of fearmongering.
And gamer trolls.

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Still more errors found. Some precinct vote counts and delegate numbers are duplicated. There are a correct number of precincts, but some of them are duplicated. Which mean some are missing. And the number of delegates for those precincts aren't correct. e.g. "Sioux City 5" & "Sioux City 20" are both reporting the same round 1 & 2 totals, and delegate counts Biden 4, Buttigieg 3, Sanders, 2, but neither has 9 delegates to offer.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Pamela

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Caucuses must die and hopefully this is the final nail in their coffin.
I doubt the primaries are any less error prone. Actually, the Iowa caucus this year released more information than they ever have, based on negotiations with the Sanders campaign. This information allows us to catch these errors. Many of the primaries, on the other hand, are black boxes.

This, a legitimate outcome or not, is not a good look:

ETA of course there are other reasons to do away with caucuses. They require hours of commitment, so turnout is low.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Cristalle and Pamela

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
As one of my drama teachers rather memorably screamed after one of our less-than-excellent moments, " It's Aunt Polly's God Damn Amateur Hour!!"

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Yeah, random overly simplistic charts without any attribution are so compelling. Not.
Let me google that for you...

...no, fuck that. If you were actually curious you could have typed fewer words into google than you did here.

"clinton sanders paper voting trail"

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Let me google that for you...

...no, fuck that. If you were actually curious you could have typed fewer words into google than you did here.

"clinton sanders paper voting trail"
This is the first hit I got

Mixture
About this rating
What's True
Two researchers (presumably graduate students) from Stanford University and Tilburg University co-authored a paper asserting they uncovered information suggesting widespread primary election fraud favoring Hillary Clinton had occurred across multiple states.
What's False
The paper was not a "Stanford Study," and its authors acknowledged their claims and research methodology had not been subject to any form of peer review or academic scrutiny.
Would you want to rely on this paper's conclusions? Not sure I would without further supporting evidence.

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
This is the first hit I got

Would you want to rely on this paper's conclusions? Not sure I would without further supporting evidence.
Yep. The most maddening outcome of finding an interesting correlation is "it's a conspiracy theory", and not "the process should be open and verifiable so people trust it." Nothing at all came of questions of the validity of election results in 2016, not even the Russians hacked it!

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Yep. The most maddening outcome of finding an interesting correlation is "it's a conspiracy theory", and not "the process should be open and verifiable so people trust it." Nothing at all came of questions of the validity of election results in 2016, not even the Russians hacked it!
No, the paper, by two graduate students, makes a very serious allegation, and since it apparently hasn't been subject to any sort of peer review, I think I'd like more evidence before relying on it.

What's transpired since? Did anything come of the paper and its conclusions?

ETA: To clarify, I'm worried about how the authors calculated the statistics, and what variables they allowed for, and what were the margins for error, and so forth, rather than conspiracy theories.

Last edited:

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts

Why are we re-litigating 2016?

This paper isn’t very convincing by itself. Bernie threw his support behind Clinton in the general and is working to get downballot Dems elected now. You can distrust the primary process if you want - that’s reasonable. The Dem leadership certainly needs to be replaced. But Bernie himself did not advocate voting third party in 2016, or sitting it out.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Facepalm
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007