Has SL Fashion Become Too Homogeneous?

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
When it comes to a good selection of casual clothes that are also well made, I highly suggest Neve by Coldlogic: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/103006

They have a ton of stuff, all kinds of casualwear, and it's fairly priced, okay on texture usage and *modify*. Belleza, maitreya, Slink and the ole 'standard sizes'.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I used to be totally into Silent Sparrow, is it still a thing?

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Plus, it feels much dirtier to act slutty in a classy, elegant, outfit!
Beez does it the other way round, like she's oblivious to how much skin she's showing off XD

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
Um...I guess? Lol
I have sometimes said that one of my "secrets" as a fashionista is the ability to dress totally slutty in SL without actually dressing slutty.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I have sometimes said that one of my "secrets" as a fashionista is the ability to dress totally slutty in SL without actually dressing slutty.
It's Oxbridge as a backdrop. Scholarly digs makes anyone look like a sex pot librarian.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
It's Oxbridge as a backdrop. Scholarly digs makes anyone look like a sex pot librarian.
:love:(y):ROFLMAO::D:):devilish::applause::qft:

But I don't take pics there! I'm hardly ever there unless there's trouble. (which is good, since I basically monitor the group chats and keep an eye out for Trouble)
And I'm no librarian, though you know how I am around Librarians.
Almost all my pics are taken on plain white backgrounds, as is tradition of the oldbie-set-in-her-ways-CC
I will say that certain outfits that look a bit "teacher-ish/librarian-ish" tended to get quite a bit of attention.

Ellen Cordeaux

Lurky Loo
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I will say that certain outfits that look a bit "teacher-ish/librarian-ish" tended to get quite a bit of attention.
It's fetish-y for a lot of people I was frankly surprised to find out in my early SL days.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I rely on hunts and events to find shops that sell clothes that are not ordinary wear. Sometimes the slutwear will do for sci-fi, but often not. We <3 Roleplay is useful for medieval/Renaissance and sometimes sci-fi too.
However it's a royal PITA to find shoes to go with when boots aren't what's needed.

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I am just so sick of 95% of the female clothing styles that I find in SL that I have taken to wearing mens clothing. Also, if they don't allow modify, forget it, I will no longer buy them.

GoblinCampFollower

SL Rez
I'm often frustrated trying to find good mesh clothing for something that ISN'T super slutty... like... give me something to strip down from at least, lol.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
I've seen regular (non-slutty) clothes, i think the slutty ones get more exposure (literally). I funny pay too much attention, usually, because elves don't wear normal clothes, but I can make a not of the names of you like, Rose. What kind of look do you have in mind?

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I've seen regular (non-slutty) clothes, i think the slutty ones get more exposure (literally). I funny pay too much attention, usually, because elves don't wear normal clothes, but I can make a not of the names of you like, Rose. What kind of look do you have in mind?
I have my avatar looking as close to "RL me" as I can get it. Basically I wear jeans and T-shirts, sweaters, jackets, (once in a while) nice pant suits and the occasional dress or skirt that is generally (mid calf) in real life. Boots and sneakers for shoes. I haven't worn a pair of heels in SL or RL in 15 years. So nice flats and sandals.

Pretty much every T-Shirt I see in SL is so low cut your boobs are popping out and it's a mid drift instead of a long one which I prefer to cover my back side. Jeans just never fit (this is often true for me in RL too, when I can find a pair that fits my short, fat, little legs I usually buy about 5 pairs). What I have been doing for the mesh jean issues is trying to match the jean color with a nearly identical underwear color. Same for boots and shoes BTW. Sweaters and jackets for women in SL are always too short. Also they all want me to wear their alpha that ends up giving me the body shape of a model. Well, I'm not a model, I don't want to change my body shape. Grrrrr

Everything is of course, no modify. So I can't make items larger to fit.

Also, while I'm ranting away, I was looking at the Linden complete Avatars because I selected one of the "new" avatars (and elderly gentleman with white hair) for my husband (it was easiest for him). What I failed to see was a single elderly female avatar. Why is that Lindens?? What do the Linden's have against little old ladies? :voodoo:

I do like my Ruby skin and body shape but I wish that there was more to choose from that were "elderly".

My understanding of HUDs and how to modify my avatar are somewhat limited too so maybe I'm missing something that I could do that I haven't.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Pants that fit...how about BOM pants? Tone 2 has a megapack of BOM pants as a group gift, and they're high -waisted, too.
Poema makes mature looking skins. They look sort of severe in their ads ; if it looks that way on your avatar, it might not be your thing. So you might want to check out Izzie's,which has a variety of enhancements to make you look better, worse, or just older.
That's just off the top of my head.
I'll keep track for the other stuff.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Tricky to find proper ragged clothing without having to resort to Gorean stuff.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Meh
Reactions: Clara D.
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I have no idea what I am doing shopping in SL anymore. This is the best I could get my old guy look to come out.