Status
Not open for further replies.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I wouldn't use the word "fan" -- at least not that I've seen -- so much as "aggressive supporters." And speaking completely anecdotally -- based on my own highly subjective opinions and perspective -- the aggression is not so much due to passion for Joe as it is passion for the interests that he protects. So establishment White Guys get hot for Joe Biden because he doesn't rock the boat. He's one of them and they want him to win so nothing "radical" happens over the next four-year term.

Last election cycle, I remember bronxelf rolling her eyes because she would get daily email barrages from her father, who was obsessed with getting Biden to run. Same sentiment, different election cycle.
Which must be why the only times I am reminded he is still running is the debates. Most of my friends are not in that demographic.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
People will hear someone is actually educated enough to be able to spot a country on a map? Does he think that is a bad thing?
Only mind-criminals would know that country's location and question our country's glorious leaders - now - hush hush - get your application for re-education camp in before we have to make you apply!

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
People will hear someone is actually educated enough to be able to spot a country on a map? Does he think that is a bad thing?
If he's a Republican, then, yes, it's a bad thing. To the GOP, someone with an education and an ounce of critical thinking skills represents a clear and present danger.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
  • 1Like
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I expect a successful court case by the copyright holders...

Just keep in mind: This is the US. The US hold copyright over national security - otherwise the USMC could not prevent other armed services from adopting the copyrighted MARPAT pattern. If it's actually OK to risk your soldier's live on copyright issues by withholding effective camouflage I doubt you can simply copy a protected brand logo for your new military branch.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
He's now trying to claim that she misidentified it--by claiming she identified a country even 45 probably would've known better than to choose since it's so far off.
No one's talking for it.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
How are you sure he is not totally thinking he is telling the truth? As if a Trumpette like Pompeo would know or care where Ukraine and Banglasdesh are...

Grandma Bates

Only mostly banned....
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
Yes
SLU Posts
He's now trying to claim that she misidentified it--by claiming she identified a country even 45 probably would've known better than to choose since it's so far off.
No one's talking for it.

Mary Louise Kelly used to be on the national security team for National Public Radio with a focus on Afghanistan, and she has taught classes at a local university (in DC) on national security. She also earned her Masters Degree in European studies from Cambridge. Sadly, it is becoming increasingly clear that Cambridge's academic standards have dropped precipitously.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I expect a successful court case by the copyright holders...
I don't, mostly because all of those Starfleet Command seals that people are comparing the Space Force seal to are fan-art creations, not official show art.

The Space Force seal seems to be an evolution of the Air Force Space Command shield, which makes sense:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I don't, mostly because all of those Starfleet Command seals that people are comparing the Space Force seal to are fan-art creations, not official show art.

The Space Force seal seems to be an evolution of the Air Force Space Command shield, which makes sense:

Yes, I see what you mean.

So what's the relationship between the Air Force Space Command's arrowhead symbol and that that used by Starfleet in the canonical Star Trek universe?

From that article:

In the Star Trek universe, the delta emblem is a direct descendant of the vector component of the old NASA (and later UESPA) logos in use during Earth’s space programs of the 20th and 21st Centuries. Those symbols were worn by some of the first space explorers and adorned uniforms and ships during humanity’s first steps into the final frontier.

The delta insignia was first drawn in 1964 by costume designer William Ware Theiss with input from series creator Gene Roddenberry. The delta -- or “Arrowhead” as Bill Theiss called it -- has evolved into a revered symbol and one that's synonymous with Star Trek today.
So presumably Theiss and Roddenberry designed it as a deliberate hat-tip to NASA by designing what they thought a distant descendant of the original NASA symbol might look like, and then both symbols have evolved over time in this time line and the Star Trek one.

So what we've got is a genetic resemblance, since they're all based, in one way or another, on the NASA insignia in 1964, the "Meatball" insignia created by NASA employee James Modarelli in 1959, or more specifically on the iconic red chevron of Modarelli's design

Ain't it amazing what you can learn online with half an hour or so to kill and a bit of Google-fu?

Status
Not open for further replies.