SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
And then there's this one:
The Palace normally stays silent on trivial matters such as Prince Andrew being best mates with a raging paedophile and sex trafficker, but has been in constant contact with the media over the serious business of two people giving up their job of being paid to do nothing.

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
But is Boris able to be a satisfactory hand puppet for the American government?

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
It's all a bit academic, really, since a trade deal with the US can't really be negotiated without reference to the deal with the EU, so Trump (and probably Johnson too) will be both be out of office the time anything's agreed, even should Trump win in November.

Mind you, Johnson does seem prepared to defy the US in some matters, at least:

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer and Sid

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Lengthy and -- to my mind, very interesting -- article in the New Statesman by John Gray, a conservative philosopher for whom I have a great deal of respect, at least when he's writing critiques of Christianity and the enlightenment, though I disagree with a great deal of his social thinking.

I've only just finished an initial reading of the article and it will take me quite some time to consider his arguments, but people may find his account of contemporary British politics, why Remain failed, and what comes next, both interesting and challenging.

Stora

SL Rez
Lengthy and -- to my mind, very interesting -- article in the New Statesman by John Gray, a conservative philosopher for whom I have a great deal of respect, at least when he's writing critiques of Christianity and the enlightenment, though I disagree with a great deal of his social thinking.

I've only just finished an initial reading of the article and it will take me quite some time to consider his arguments, but people may find his account of contemporary British politics, why Remain failed, and what comes next, both interesting and challenging.
I also found it very interesting and picked up on a few points, one being.
But diverging from the EU also enables government to act in ways that are currently prohibited, such as providing state aid for industry. The EU has long been a neoliberal construction, whereas a hardish Brexit allows a more interventionist mode of capitalism.
I can see this with the bailout of Flybe.

• 1Thanks

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I also found it very interesting and picked up on a few points, one being.

I can see this with the bailout of Flybe.
I'm not so sure about that. Since we're still members of the EU, I ass,ume that the bailout package is permissible under current EU rules, and will continue to be so at least for the rest of the year.

Even if -- God forbid -- the worst were to come to the worst, and we crashed out with no deal at the end of the year, which I don't believe will happen since I think Johnson's promise we'll ask for no more extensions is a bit like his promise to lie down in front of the bulldozers at Heathrow, the WTO has rules on unfair state subsidies.

So while I suppose in theory a "hardish Brexit" would allow a more interventionist mode of capitalism, in practice it would need to be "a more interventionist mode of capitalism" acceptable to anyone -- the EU, the USA, the PRC, Australia, North Korea -- with whom we sought to negotiate a trade deal.

• 1Thanks

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Now, if kermit would be prepared to stick his head inside the bell, I would personally fly to London to wack a few times on the Big Ben with a suitable hammer at that moment.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
So what are the bookmakers saying about the stuff that needs to happen on June 1 (or is it July 1) actually happening?