Cadet Bonespurs starts a war with Iran

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Well we can discuss what we want, fact is that indeed at the moment Trump has really maneuvered Iran into a corner and changed the game. Alone that they've acknowledged that they shoot the Ukrainian airplane more than clearly shows this.

The question is what he is going to do from now on.
As far as I can tell, the government of the Islamic Republic of Iran were forced to admit their responsibility not because of any manoeuvres performed by Trump or anyone else but because the Revolutionary Guard themselves took the initiative and released a statement admitting they'd shot down the plane by accident, having previously asked that the area be declared a no-fly zone while they were on heightened alert and expecting a possible US reprisal for the Iranian missile attack, and having had their request refused.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
You may be right about closing the airport. OTOH, the US news is full of stories about B52's going to Iran, and the radar signatures of the B52 and the 737are reportedly similar...
Whoever wrote those stories is ignorant of how modern warfare works. The B-52 is an old airplane, with a huge radar cross-section. You send those planes in *last*. What you send in first are stealth planes that fire anti-radiation missiles at radar and communications sites. So Iran's first warning is those sites blowing up. Once Iran's ability to spot you and communicate is degraded, *then* you send in the big bombers. B-52's can also carry cruise missiles with a range up to 1,500 miles. In that case they don't have to go to Iran at all, since that distance is about twice the width of Iran from the ocean. They can launch from over the Indian Ocean or Saudi Arabia.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Whoever wrote those stories is ignorant of how modern warfare works. The B-52 is an old airplane, with a huge radar cross-section. You send those planes in *last*. What you send in first are stealth planes that fire anti-radiation missiles at radar and communications sites. So Iran's first warning is those sites blowing up. Once Iran's ability to spot you and communicate is degraded, *then* you send in the big bombers. B-52's can also carry cruise missiles with a range up to 1,500 miles. In that case they don't have to go to Iran at all, since that distance is about twice the width of Iran from the ocean. They can launch from over the Indian Ocean or Saudi Arabia.
That is not how modern assymetrical wars are fought.

You send in the old stuff so you don't have to pay for wrecking it. If you loose pilots along the way consider them a cut on army retirement funds.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Oh fuck the comments.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Romana

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
So I'm watching the news, and I got to thinking: Iranians are pretty angry at their government right now. If it escalated to a full-fledged revolt that overthrows the government and replaces it with something a little less restrictive, Trump is going to try to take all the credit for it.

Ugh!

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
So I'm watching the news, and I got to thinking: Iranians are pretty angry at their government right now. If it escalated to a full-fledged revolt that overthrows the government and replaces it with something a little less restrictive, Trump is going to try to take all the credit for it.

Ugh!
First part Interesting. Last part Meh, what can you do.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Dreams are ten a penny.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts

Ugh!
What is interesting is all the mixed messages coming from news agencies and people on the ground.

• 1Thanks

Arkady Arkright

The point I was trying to make (after a bottle of wine, admittedly) was "Are we going, once again, to have the rich old men sending the poor young men to kill and die for them, for the sake of the rich old men's wealth, power, ego etc. ?".

There are times when I think that the human race probably doesn't deserve to survive...

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
There are times when I think that the human race probably doesn't deserve to survive...
No worries in that department.
The way climate is changing and given the history of species that dominated the earth before us.... we won't survive in the end IMHO.
Survival of the fittest and stuff.

• 1Thanks