Nobody Cares about Tech Support

Stora

SL Rez
I'm a field engineer and was sent out to investigate a printer that was not printing, call said user had replaced the toner and drum unit but still got error messages on the printer.

Me: "You have marks on your drum unit, has this been changed ?"

User: "I don't know , the Manager is not in today"

Me: "Well you need to replace your drum, it is causing paper jams and black marks."

User: "Oh, the printer did have a flashing warning light saying it had a drum error."

Me: "You need to replace your drum."

User: "Do you have one with you?"

Me: "No, you need to order one from your supplier."

User: "Can't you do anything?"

At this point she signed my paper work and I went back to my car to call in for my next job.

Then she came knocking on my car window.

User: "I can't print and I need it to print today"

User: "so I can't print until I get a new drum?"

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I'm a field engineer and was sent out to investigate a printer that was not printing, call said user had replaced the toner and drum unit but still got error messages on the printer.

Me: "You have marks on your drum unit, has this been changed ?"

User: "I don't know , the Manager is not in today"

Me: "Well you need to replace your drum, it is causing paper jams and black marks."

User: "Oh, the printer did have a flashing warning light saying it had a drum error."

User: "Do you have one with you?"

Me: "No, you need to order one from your supplier."

User: "Can't you do anything?"

At this point she signed my paper work and I went back to my car to call in for my next job.

Then she came knocking on my car window.

User: "I can't print and I need it to print today"

User: "so I can't print until I get a new drum?"

%CORE-F-REPLACEUSER

• 1Agree
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Caete and Brenda Archer

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
:rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot: :rimshot:

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
You have to wonder how people like this even function. If your printer is not working what can you do? Maybe mail something key to kinkos and have them print it (for a fee) for you? Wait until tomorrow? Surely their manager has a second they can ask what the backup procedure should be.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
That assumes you can teach $USER to print to PDF or whatever shenanigans each program needs to make that happen. Setting them up with a backup printer doesn't require a competent $USER.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Printing has always been a PIA and for what, a printed copy, like we still need printed copies of stuff.

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
No, it requires them having to know how to set up the new printer, or following instructions on doing so. GOOD LUCK.
The tech support guy was *right there* saying "you need a new drum" instead of suggesting workarounds.

• 1Facepalm
Reactions: Stora

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
and these workarounds are ?
Well. This one comes to mind, assuming the drum is not something you can quickly acquire from OfficeDespot.

If there's nobody who can expense <$100 to get a cheap printer then it probably doesn't matter if the printouts are made that day. If it does matter, and there's nobody who can expense the cost of a cheap printer, the company's got bigger problems to deal with.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
What if she and the tech support person travel to the sound of a different drum?

Stora

SL Rez
Well. This one comes to mind, assuming the drum is not something you can quickly acquire from OfficeDespot.

If there's nobody who can expense <$100 to get a cheap printer then it probably doesn't matter if the printouts are made that day. If it does matter, and there's nobody who can expense the cost of a cheap printer, the company's got bigger problems to deal with.

You can not go out and just buy/add other printers. It is for a large multi national hotel chain, every site has the same workstations and same network printers all under a hardware and service contract, anything else falls outside the contract. Bottom line is that each site have their own supply of consumables and should replenish these when they have been used.

I see this all the time. Managers forget to order consumables and think we carry a stock in our cars, so they log a hardware fault because we come out the same day.

But hey it's tech support so nobody cares right ?