WTF Sh*t's F*cked Up and Bullsh*t - a "Who Cares" thread for news

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Secretary Spencer's letter might be duplicitous. According to CNN, despite his public statements, Spencer was apparently fired for offering to rig Gallegher's review so that he would be allowed to remain a SEAL:

Spencer had indicated publicly that he felt the review should proceed, telling the audience at the Halifax Security Forum in Nova Scotia, Canada, that "the process matters for good order and discipline."

Behind the scenes, he proposed to the White House that Gallagher's review go ahead, but offered a secret guarantee that Gallagher would be allowed to keep his status as a Navy SEAL, according to the senior defense official.

The move prompted Esper's decision to ask for Spencer's resignation, according to Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman. The defense official said that Spencer's decision to circumvent his chain of command -- namely Esper -- and go straight to the White House was a violation of military policy.

Moreover, Spencer's private request to restore Gallagher's rank and allow him to retire with his Trident pin contradicted his public position, according to the statement.

"I am deeply troubled by this conduct shown by a senior DOD official," Esper said in the statement. "Unfortunately, as a result I have determined that Secretary Spencer no longer has my confidence to continue in his position. I wish Richard well."

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Jeez, so many knives in so many backs.
Any time I’ve ever had to work for a narcissist, this is what it turned into. I truly wish I knew then what I know now. I blamed myself for being shoved out of situations where no one would have survived (they’d either have been fired or gotten a health crisis).

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Any time I’ve ever had to work for a narcissist, this is what it turned into. I truly wish I knew then what I know now. I blamed myself for being shoved out of situations where no one would have survived (they’d either have been fired or gotten a health crisis).
Funny you should say this. It was like one of those lightening bolts that came out of the sky and bonked me on the head. I would have to agree, every single time that I have been in a horrible work situation where everyone was unhappy, afraid of losing their job and just miserable, they worked for one or more of these type of people. I kind of blamed what happened on the companies but in retrospect, what they had were some managers who were Narcissistic sociopaths.

How to Work for a Narcissistic Boss

This is kind of an interesting article on how to work with them (although I never would again). I found most of the people already on the team that I joined at one company were deliberately unhelpful (hiding critical information), liars and backstabbers because they were forced to be in order to hold on to their jobs in an environment created by a narcissistic sociopathic manager.

All I can say is the second that you realize that you're working for one of these people, get out. Because they will throw you under the bus eventually, and if they don't their minions will. You can count on it.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Funny you should say this. It was like one of those lightening bolts that came out of the sky and bonked me on the head. I would have to agree, every single time that I have been in a horrible work situation where everyone was unhappy, afraid of losing their job and just miserable, they worked for one or more of these type of people. I kind of blamed what happened on the companies but in retrospect, what they had were some managers who were Narcissistic sociopaths.

This is kind of an interesting article on how to work with them (although I never would again). I found most of the people already on the team that I joined at one company were deliberately unhelpful (hiding critical information), liars and backstabbers because they were forced to be in order to hold on to their jobs in an environment created by a narcissistic sociopathic manager.

All I can say is the second that you realize that you're working for one of these people, get out. Because they will throw you under the bus eventually, and if they don't their minions will. You can count on it.
At one corporation I worked for, it always seemed like those folks would either get promoted or be moved around from dept to dept after they had decimated the morale of the previous one.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts

This is really true. I’m having to remind myself that if you’re dealing with a narcissist, you must get out.

I’m now living in a house where it’s the manager who is the narcissist. It used to be a group home and the rooms are rented individually. There have been a lot of problems here, but the incompetence of the manager is the common thread. I’d be tempted to stay because of the friendships I’ve started to develop in the house and at a local church, but the truth is that the manager is a hazard, and it would be much better to move than get evicted over some excuse.

It probably will take a year or more to get into another HUD housing and save enough for the deposit. But that’s my current project. I get complacent when the manager seems nice, but then I see her do something mean or neglectful to someone, so it’s really just a question of when. Narcissists don’t usually seem to get better.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
At one corporation I worked for, it always seemed like those folks would either get promoted or be moved around from dept to dept after they had decimated the morale of the previous one.
Yes. The people who the narcissist is kissing up to, don’t see the damage until it’s really bad, if they ever do, and they keep thinking the narcissist is something they aren’t, because of the grandiose performance.

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
This is just golden: Narcissists, he says, have a “strong ego ideal—a vision of who they think they should be. They are controlled by the shame of not living up to this ideal.”
Yes. And I would add - they seem to confuse shame and humility. If you’re not shame based, but the self protective conscientious type, they tend to try to do something to make you feel as ashamed as they are. This doesn’t work on someone with an internalized sense of self, the narcissist takes this as defiance, and the narcissist then becomes abusive. I haven’t seen this described in any literature, but I have seen a lot of people describe it, and it’s happened to me.

I come from a culture where women are often socialized to be conscientious, which later in life, paradoxically, can cause the internalized locus of control and a solid self confidence. Pair one of these people with a fragile narcissist, or have them have to work for one, and it’s a disaster. The narcissist will never get the person with the internalized self to become a reflection of himself, so he tries to destroy her.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Speaking of narcissistic bosses, there was that one time when a Tesla engineer turned whistleblower and went to the press with his safety concerns - and after he was fired, Tesla essentially had him SWATted. Thread:

Fascinating thing about all that, was while the police were frantically trying to locate the supposed would-be "active shooter", Tesla's chief of security Shawn Gourthro just seemed to know exactly where the guy was, more than once.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Last edited:

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Oceania has always been at war with Eurasia.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Meanwhile, Eurasia is busy meddling in Oceania's 2020 elections.
I found myself wanting to quote Sir John Harrington's epigram:
Treason doth never prosper: what's the reason?
Why, if it prosper, none dare call it treason.
but the epigram of Seneca on which it's based seems even more appropriate to the Trump family and their entourage:
"Prosperum ac felix scelus/ Virtus vocatur" ("Successful and fortunate crime/ is called virtue"),

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
GOP Senator Joni Ernst Blocks Violence Against Women Act

This politician is a good example of what the theocrats really want to do. Women in her world would depend on churches for poverty survival, be denied abortion and be unable to get safety from at least some abusers. Sort of what it’s like now for some of the poor, but spread across much more of society.

Isabeau

Merdeuse

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Jesus F Christ.

Carlota Prado was sent to the diary room to watch a video of how a fellow contestant apparently had sex with her when she was unconscious after drinking.

"Please, Super, stop now, please," a tearful Ms Prado asked. But the tape continued to play, with the Voice saying: “We think you need to see this, Carlota.” The scene was never broadcast but was leaked to the Spanish press this week.